• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gov. Janet Mills’ administration closes Kittery Trading Post, a leading firearms retailer, using emergency powers

So ! Is KTP going to re-open now that DJT has said that they are essential? Wasn't a whole boatload of stock left anyway. The shutdown was a good time to re-stock if their warehouses had the inventory.
Without doing some research I'm not sure the Federal government has anything more than words to offer. I think this is solidly a state level decision, you have to take it to court at the state level.

If I was KTP, I would flip the whole operation. Make New Hampshire the full store and Kittery the handgun transfer point for those going to Maine.

after being dissed so bad from their lefty governor....i can see KTP moving over the border to Portsmouth.

Face it, the mall area in Kittery is DYING! Half the stores that were there two years ago are gone.
No sales tax in NH, would greatly increase KTP's amount of sales.
Portsmouth is also a destination place, with good restaurants, microbreweries, etc...so it will entice people to drive to KTP from far away...kind of like a "vacation day" for the family.
And the move is only a few miles south, so all the workers they have now can easily make it to the new place.
I vote "Go For It!"

and i can not think of a better time to make the move, since customer sales are way down for a few months
Not only it would be easy, NH would probably give them a break on taxes to get the business.

I've been going to KTP since I was kid. Always stopped there on the way to vacation in ME to get fishing licenses and other stuff. Couldn't stop at KTP without hitting up Bob's Clam Hut.

That said I still stop at KTP a lot. I get my fishing license there and the Millfoil sticker for my boat. I have been known to buy fishing gear, knives there and on occasion ammo and every now and then a firearm. While I'm poking around my wife and the kids would get other things.

No doubt the prices are not the best and you pay ME sales tax but I would hate to see the place go. If they moved to Portsmouth I wouldn't stop there simply because I couldn't get my fishing license, boat sticker and no Bob's Fried Clams.

I've been going to KTP since I was kid. Always stopped there on the way to vacation in ME to get fishing licenses and other stuff. Couldn't stop at KTP without hitting up Bob's Clam Hut.

That said I still stop at KTP a lot. I get my fishing license there and the Millfoil sticker for my boat. I have been known to buy fishing gear, knives there and on occasion ammo and every now and then a firearm. While I'm poking around my wife and the kids would get other things.

No doubt the prices are not the best and you pay ME sales tax but I would hate to see the place go. If they moved to Portsmouth I wouldn't stop there simply because I couldn't get my fishing license, boat sticker and no Bob's Fried Clams.
You can get your fishing license online, They could also use the Terminal in NH to do the same thing. If Bob's Fried Clams is the place right next-door, You won't be missing much, There are better clam shacks than that one.. Boat Sticker, I am sure there are other places to do that.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but Kittery Trading Post is not moving anywhere.

Im sure they arent. I buy less and less from them each year. If they were tax free id buy more.

Going over to NH for the gun purchase thing is a PIA. My usual once a year or less purchase from KTP is a fairly expensive gun with a 10 percent off coupon, and usually a manufacturer rebate, and some trade cash. Then ill transfer it In NH to save the tax.

Honestly if it werent for the trade thing, I wouldnt deal with them at all.

Is there any way to call the NH store? I tried the number listed: 207-439-9222 and I get the we have taken our toys and gone home message. There was a gun at the Maine store I want but had not had time to go up there. I wonder if they can move it to the NH store?

Is there any way to call the NH store? I tried the number listed: 207-439-9222 and I get the we have taken our toys and gone home message. There was a gun at the Maine store I want but had not had time to go up there. I wonder if they can move it to the NH store?

The NH “store” is an old abandoned Hertz car-rental place on the 1 Bypass SB. It’s not normally staffed, so I doubt they have a phone number for it.

Sorry to find your soft spot but you are just going to have to wait at this time.

Janet is in no way going to back down from "her orders".

Why double your operating costs unnecessarily?

Move to NH....pull the band aid......the yuppies will go wherever they move to

Because the location is a huge deal. Tourists make up a shitload of people going through that store, and a lot of them ain't stopping on the
NH side of the pee bridge, either on the way out or on the way back.

-Mike

My point was that KTP is a destination for touron's and everyone else.......there's literally nothing but crap surrounding KTP which is why I think it could easily move and no one would miss a beat aside from "new location" sign/redirect.

Is there something ELSE within walking distance of KTP that actually attracts tourists?

Nobody is walking, but my point is it's the first thing people hit and the last thing they hit when they leave maine. Kittery/KTP is like the terminus of the "southern ME tourist highway. " if you want to call it that. Theres a huge candy store, a place that sells ice cream, and a bunch of other shit up the
street. Yeah a lot of it is crap, but guess what, thats what those people shop. Junk stores, etc.

-Mike

Because the location is a huge deal. Tourists make up a shitload of people going through that store, and a lot of them ain't stopping on the
NH side of the pee bridge, either on the way out or on the way back.

Unless they're buying booze to take home.
NH State Liquor Store #38 in Portsmouth Circle is the single highest volume liquor store in the state.

The place is real hit-or-miss in used gun prices, in my experience. It's like they have two distinctly different guy pricing the guns. I'll be perusing the racks, thinking "High, high, way high, wow, that's cheap for that..." I'd expect to see your $800 Model 12 and then 2 slots down the rack see a $300 Win 97 in great shape. No rhyme or reason.
Every now and then you find a gem in the used section. Yes....I bought that used a5 hunter! In excellent shape......thing runs slick a hell too.

20200104_141015.jpg

To Kittery's credit , I have found stuff there in the past no one else had.
Rifled barrel for my old Renegade , yup they had it
Pyrodex pellets for black powder revolver yup they had it.
A little more for it vs. not getting it at all isn't a bad trade off.

My point was that KTP is a destination for touron's and everyone else.......there's literally nothing but crap surrounding KTP which is why I think it could easily move and no one would miss a beat aside from "new location" sign/redirect.

Is there something ELSE within walking distance of KTP that actually attracts tourists?
That area is a tourist mecca because of all the "outlet" stores. The women love them, so KTP benefits from that location. I can't see KTP doing that well on the NH side of the border for that reason.

we stop regularly on our way to camp up to points north as it's a decent midway point for us to stretch our legs and grab a bite to eat in the area. I might grab my fishing license there. Wife and kids might grab some minimal crap.. I can't say we drop any real cash in there. Maine tax is what, 7%, and the merchandise prices aren't generally that attractive.

we stop regularly on our way to camp up to points north as it's a decent midway point for us to stretch our legs and grab a bite to eat in the area. I might grab my fishing license there. Wife and kids might grab some minimal crap.. I can't say we drop any real cash in there. Maine tax is what, 7%, and the merchandise prices aren't generally that attractive.
5.5%

That area is a tourist mecca because of all the "outlet" stores. The women love them, so KTP benefits from that location. I can't see KTP doing that well on the NH side of the border for that reason.
The outlet stores do good because of KTP. Not the other way around. Those outlets are nothing special, their prices are not that great and most of the time you are lucky to find more than 4 people shopping in one store.

Back
Top Bottom