GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

21 calendar days from renewal to phone call. "The state is backed up" is total BS, if I can walk into a tiny central MA town and get renewed in 3 weeks. The Sgt did tell me they had "caught up quite a bit" with regard to the state delays.

yup gotta agree with you--anything longer than six weeks seem to be all on the pd based on personal experience

some locals seem to do anything they can to delay---total 110% bs

Last edited:
Paperwork filed and entered into PD 11/26 still nothing. Called Quincy on Tuesday, they stated that the PD had not approved it yet. Talked to Sgt at PD same day, he told me hadn't been approved by DMH and State Police to give his final approval. This is a renewal, first permitted in 1994. Can't wait till the youngest boy graduates high school. We are moving north.

As I recall the law the last time I read it, it stated that if you haven't received a reply within 40 days you may assume you have been rejected and file an immediate appeal and request a letter explaining why you were refused. Am I wrong? Hagrid

Reading is reporting 5-6 months for renewals and new licenses.

Be happy and jumping for joy if it takes only six months. My renewal is going on 10 yes that's T-E-N months now and still nothing. It's this process that makes me who once believed in sensible gun control start being against any gun control. Gun control is just a charade to deny ANYONE the right to own or carry. Sure technically you're not being denied your second amendment right, but it may take a year, two years, five years for you to exercise that right. Then who's to say that every year you won't have to renew the license. Now I understand why the NRA is against any gun control. The local PDs are proving that gun control is just a method of denying your second amendment rights.

As I recall the law the last time I read it, it stated that if you haven't received a reply within 40 days you may assume you have been rejected and file an immediate appeal and request a letter explaining why you were refused. Am I wrong? Hagrid

Well, technically you haven't been refused yet so what would be the explanation? The sad fact is that there is no consequences to failing to adhere to the 40 days rule. Unless we gun owners start some type of class action suit or pound on our legislatures, what's going to happen? This is what happens when you legislate gun control. It becomes a tool with which to whittle away at your second amendment right.

Last edited:
Be happy and jumping for joy if it takes only six months. My renewal is going on 10 yes that's T-E-N months now and still nothing. It's this process that makes me who once believed in sensible gun control start being against any gun control. Gun control is just a charade to deny ANYONE the right to own or carry. Sure technically you're not being denied your second amendment right, but it may take a year, two years, five years for you to exercise that right. Then who's to say that every year you won't have to renew the license. Now I understand why the NRA is against any gun control. The local PDs are proving that gun control is just a method of denying your second amendment rights.

call your state rep if he is 2A friendly or call GOAL

Is it bad if it's been over a month and a half and they haven't cashed the check? Paperwork was supposably filed on February 20th.

- Todd

Paperwork put in on Feb. 20th. Received the call today. 50 day turn around in Kingston.

A week before my LTC expires. Glad I get to stay legal.

- Todd

Posted this in another thread but figured I'd copy it here too:

Chelsea MA

3/1 - Turned in Paperwork
3/18 - Interview
4/7 - Approved by MA State Police
4/9 - Approved by FRB/DCJIS, mailed to Chelsea PD
4/15 - Got call to pick up at Chelsea PD

6.5 weeks from paperwork to pickup
4 weeks from interview to pickup

Restrictions: Hunting & Target

Was told if I had no infractions in 1 year to call the licensing officer and he would remove my restrictions, no questions asked.

I'm in Salem, I applied for renewal on November 26th and received LTC-A on December 24th. Sgt Makros was great to deal with, no complaints here!

yup gotta agree with you--anything longer than six weeks seem to be all on the pd based on personal experience

some locals seem to do anything they can to delay---total 110% bs

Agree, same here. Taunton was AWESOME 3 weeks and no BS. Very easy and pleasant Chief Walsh is one of the good ones

How early is too early to apply for renewal? 4 months? 6 months? 1 year?

Every city and town is different. It is up to the LO, and what he "feels" is the appropriate time. If you don't get an answer from someone who has experience in your city, you could always call your PD and ask.

Sheffield Mass. Applied 5/21/14... Got a call 7/1/14 LTC was ready to pick up at PD. 5/22/14.. I drove to Middletown , Ct and just walked in and renewed my Ct Pistol Permit & walked out with the new one in about 15-20 minutes time!!!

KenK ~¡~
From iPod touch using Tapatalk

Called for renewal appointment June 2, appointment for renewal June 9th. Called to pick up new LTC on July 10. Birthday July 16th.... No complaints here.

Applied july 3rd, interviewed in about 10 days. August 1st license on hands. Less than a month. Newton. Class A target and hunting.

Just was on the phone with my body earlier today and he just brought his application in (Framingham PD) and the told him straight up: "give us a call in three months to see if the card has arrived" [thinking]

I don't know if this counts for anything but I had my restrictions removed and received a new LTC and reprint of my pin number in under 14 days. North Andover.

Back
Top Bottom