• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock or Ruger

I recently purchased a SR9 (with the new trigger) and I love the gun. Trigger is nice out of the box (didn't even bother with the ghost 3.5 upgrade), and very accurate. I put on a Uncle Mike's grip ($10) and feels great in my hand. For $400 in MA, can't really beat it. In fact, I sold my M&P9 because I like the Ruger much more. (I shoot it better too.)

I used to carry a Glock 19 (Gen3) on duty. I also liked that gun very much. Hard to say which one I like better because it has been years since I shot a Glock. But I can not say anything bad about Glocks.

However, in MA at this point in time, SR9 = $400 new and a Glock 17/19 (Gen3 or 4) = ~$700 used. In the end, that was the determining factor for me. But I am still trying to find a reasonably priced Glock for my collection. :)

Glock is a no-brainer for a MA resident, if only because standard cap mags can be had for it.

If you are a relatively new shooter, I'd definitely recommend 9mm.

As a NRA Basic Pistol instructor, I've seen a lot of people's reaction to 9mm and .40. The 9mm is more than adequate as a defensive cartridge with proper ammunition and is MUCH easier to shoot WELL.

However, in MA at this point in time, SR9 = $400 new and a Glock 17/19 (Gen3 or 4) = ~$700 used. In the end, that was the determining factor for me. But I am still trying to find a reasonably priced Glock for my collection. :)

Keep looking, they are out there. A year or so ago at Marlboro one of the vendors in the back had a Gen3 G17 with some slide/holster wear on it for like $459. The gun SAT THERE the whole time I was at the show, probably because people were wonky because of the holster wear, but frankly that isn't a big deal. (And for the doubting thomases, that seller was willing to sell anything he had on display to MA residents with an LTC). There are other deals out there too if you keep your eyes peeled. Serial prefix hunting on Gunbroker also works, but it'll take you some time, and you have to make sure the remote FFL isn't a douche who won't ship into MA.

I'll also take a moment to add.... while we're on the topic of gun prices.... Another way of looking at this purchasing decision.... one has to ask the reasoning behind the purchase. If it's a defensive gun that is going to get good use through lots of practice every year, than a couple of hundred bucks here or there shouldn't be a big issue. The old rule I use is this- "Is it going to cost me a case of ammo or less to upgrade to the gun I actually want?" If the answer is yes, then any price issues are a non starter, really. If you are going to take a handgun and pour thousands of rounds through it in the next 5 years, then the price difference of the gun is effectively lost in the noise in the long term. I'm not suggesting people should "overpay" for anything, hardly (as there really is no need to overpay for a Glock or anything else, if you are resourceful and patient) but if you look at the purchase as an investment, this makes sense when you think about it long enough.

On the other hand, for folks who get to the range 3 times a year, due to not being able to afford ammo, or otherwise, then I can see the purchase price of the gun being a bigger issue, or for that matter, the guys who get free lead and cast their own bullets, then the price of the gun plays a bigger role. I can understand the "bi monthly plinker" guy who burns up a few boxes of WWB val pak every year wanting the cheaper gun all the time. Outside of those kinds of scenarios, opting for the cheaper gun, over the long term, can be a sort of false economics, unless it just so happens to be that you can shoot the cheaper gun better and are more comfortable with it. I know plenty of guys who can't stand Glocks no matter how much they try to acclimate themselves to the platform, and obviously for them there are far better choices out there, instead of wasting time trying to fight with a gun. (Kind of like what I did fighting with HKs for the better part of 10 years until I realized that most of them don't fit my hands, with the exception of the P7M8) Even in that case though I don't know if I would go for an SR9- I'd probably be picking up a "used, already repaired" M&P 9, which routinely show up on the classifieds here for $500 or less.

-Mike

Guess I will be the voice of dissension. I purchased a brand new SR9 9mm.
1100 rounds down the pipe with no problems. Super accurate and very comfortable
in your hand. Super pointability. Plus it does not look like a shoe box with a handle.
If possbile shoot both and make your own decision.

The SR9 is a fine firearm.
If the OP lived in CT, and asked the same question I'd probably say the Ruger as a value pick. If he was going to compete with it, I'd suggest Glock. (there are so many aftermarket parts for the glock, it becomes the obvious choice for competition)

But realistically, I forgot about the huge premium on Glocks.

So it goes like this, what would you prefer to do:

Spend $400 for an excellent 10 shot Ruger SR9 or

spend $750 (cost once you buy a hi-cap mag) for a nice 17 shot Glock? If you aren't going to spend the money on at least 2 hi cap mags, then there's no reason to pay the premium for a Glock.

Thats the crux of it really.

Don

Last edited:
Really? And what if they need to replace the receiver? You're screwed in MA, I believe - they won't ship Gen 3 or 4 receivers here (even though LEGALLY they can), right?

Glock keeps a supply of MA-legit receivers for swaps. They're GenII, but you can at least get replacements. I'm not sure if they legally could ship a Gen 3/4 receiver to private party though - since the SN would change, I would think that it would be legally considered a replacement, not a repair.

Glock keeps a supply of MA-legit receivers for swaps. They're GenII, but you can at least get replacements. I'm not sure if they legally could ship a Gen 3/4 receiver to private party though - since the SN would change, I would think that it would be legally considered a replacement, not a repair.

Federal law allows for this but most manufacturers are cautious and mandate that SN changes must go through an FFL.

Glock skips aorund on the frame thing so much its hard to tell. Some people can also trade in their guns for other 2nd or early 3rd gens they get in the same price class. In the past they also offered the "wait, we might get something in in the next few months to replace it" tack.

Frame replacements are rare enough on 9mm Glocks that it's really not worth worrying about.

-Mike

I agree that paying a little more money for a better firearm is the smart way to go. No arguement from me. I will drop $900 all day long on a H&K or $750 for a Sig. But spending $750 on a Glock which retails for $500 in any other state, I tend to hesitate. Given the choice to buy a Glock or SR9 paying retail price for both, I would probably go Glock just for the name brand and aftermarket parts available. Then again, I really shoot my SR9 very well and have not had a single feed issue even using really cheap ammo. The SR9 is a good gun overall, but a great gun when compared to other $400 guns.

Do we REALLY need to go through this AGAIN? Yes, it's legal. Glock's lawyers are being pussies about it. No, I don't have a cite handy; it's been posted on NES so many times that I'm sure you could find it.

BTW, I looked into this when I got the frame for my ParaOrdnance replaced under warranty - yes, new serial number. And they shipped it directly to me, with the paperwork indicating a frame replacement, as they are by law entitled to do.

Frame replacements are rare enough on 9mm Glocks that it's really not worth worrying about.

I don't know about 9s but we get enough bitching about it here on NES about Glock's attitude that I question just how rare it really is. How else would I, a non-Glock owner, know about the issue?

Do we REALLY need to go through this AGAIN? Yes, it's legal. Glock's lawyers are being pussies about it. No, I don't have a cite handy; it's been posted on NES so many times that I'm sure you could find it.

BTW, I looked into this when I got the frame for my ParaOrdnance replaced under warranty - yes, new serial number. And they shipped it directly to me, with the paperwork indicating a frame replacement, as they are by law entitled to do.

Fair enough.

I don't know about 9s but we get enough bitching about it here on NES about Glock's attitude that I question just how rare it really is. How else would I, a non-Glock owner, know about the issue?

I found out because I called them up hoping I could buy a Gen III frame for my Gen I g20 - there may be a bit of that going around.

Remember that Glock has been mass producing polymer framed handguns going back into the mid 80s. As of like 2009 Glock claimed to have produced like 4 Million handguns. That's a lot of handguns floating around out there, and most are probably still in service to some degree or another. There is no other polymer framed handgun on the market with a sample set anywhere in the ballpark of that, so let's say, hypothetically, even with a "frame failure" rate of 1%, you will, rather unavoidably, see it show up on the radar. Even in MA despite the AG's BS, it is one of the most popular brands in MA.

There has been what, maybe a half dozen people with frame replacements on here in the past few years? Out of a user base of thousands of people, that's not a lot of guns. Even if only 1% of NES owns 1 or more Glocks, that's still not a very high number of guns.

Most of the people posting about frame replacements on NES are doing the "OMFG watshouldwedo whatshouldwedo"'s when they send their gun in for service... eg, worrywarting about a possible flame replacement that will likely never happen.

-Mike

I have been trying to decide this for a while myself. I had it narrowed down to a G19 and an SR9. While the SR9 fits my hand better, I shoot the Glock better. Its pretty much point and shoot. I prefer the G19 over the G17. The 17 feels kinda off in my hand, where as the 19 feels very comfy. Maybe its the positioning of the palm swell? Who knows, all I know is it fits better. Plus here in RI there isnt much price difference in between them. The cheapest I found the Ruger was $416, while a Gen 3 G19 is around $500 and a Gen 4 is about $530.

I found out because I called them up hoping I could buy a Gen III frame for my Gen I g20 - there may be a bit of that going around.

Doesn't some company named Lone Wolf or something like that sell frames only for Glocks? Might be stripped, might not... not sure and I can't search from behind the Iron Firewall here at work. But I think JayG mentioned them in one of his NRA convention reviews... and you can order a frame here in MA because it's NOT a firearm according to MA law. Might want to look into that.

edit: OK, I can at least view Google results. Shows two companies: Lone Wolf R&D LLC and CCF Raceframes. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Not under the previous ownership.

Sturm Ruger is a public company. The Ruger family doesn't own Sturm Ruger. Bill Ruger, Sr. has been dead almost 10 years. Sturm Ruger now sells large capacity magazines, AR15s, and guns specifically designed for concealed carry -- all things that show that Sturm Ruger has abandoned Bill Ruger, Sr.'s policies.

Come on, already. Enough is enough.

While I'm not a fan of SR9, the reason that I don't like it has nothing to do with the idiotic things Bill Ruger, Sr. said and did decades ago.

I like glocks, heck I love em. The price of one in mass is enough to scare anyone away from them, and the fact that when a dealer is asked about buying a glock they act like they are selling coke out the back and avoid the hassle of obtaining one or even selling one to someone without a badge...Yes you can get big mags for the glocks and not for the ruger. Yes the glock has massive aftermarket support from its popularity. Was bill ruger a donkey? Yes. Does that stop people from placing so many orders with ruger that they have stopped taking orders for the time? No.

I have owned glocks, shot glocks, loved and hated glocks. I currently own a Ruger SR9 which has treated me very well, it is accurate, affordable, and i find it very sexy with the radiused (sp?) front of the slide with hardly any rough edges to catch on during CCW. Yes I admit the LCI is very queer, and some dont like the thumb safety. Galloway sells an LCI delete (which i am going to order) you can order Ghost trigger parts for it as well.

Frankly sir, find one you enjoy shooting and shoot well and buy it. It all comes down to what you like, im of the opinion if i cant get the job done with ten rounds then maybe i shouldnt have the gun!

take it for what it is!
Dom

My five letter word……Glock. My first handgun was a 3rd Glock 19, and I tell ya, I could be any more happier. Very, very accurate for me. For me, it points very naturally, juss like pointing your finger. A lot ppl complain about about the grip angle but it was never an issue. If you closed your eyes, pick up a Glock while pointing for finger, when you opened them you'll realize the gun is on target.

M1911 - Jshooter was referring to my comment about S&W and their deal with the clinton admin.

The previous owner of S&W was Tomkins PLC. A UK company. They were subsequently bought by an American company led by a disgruntled former employee, American Saf-T hammer. Who promptly renounced the Clinton deal.

TheSAW - watch it, your starting to sound like Bill Ruger SR with your ten comment. Actually sound worse. He said that no honest citizen needed more than 15 rounds, not ten.

Dcm, not saying im not a fan of high cap mags, cuz i certainly am! But id like to believe that a mag restriction didn't push me into buying an inferior product. That was just my thoughts! At the time the Sr series was readily available around me and it fit my hand great at a price my wallet didn't mind :)

I've owned a SR9c and own a G22.

Both were nice, but in the end I sold the SR9c and kept the G22. With a conversion barrel, I have both a .40 and a 9mm full size pistol.

Try out both if you can and get what works for you. If you're patient,you can find a Glock in MA for a reasonable price.

- HP

dcmdon said:
M1911 - Jshooter was referring to my comment about S&W and their deal with the clinton admin.

The previous owner of S&W was Tomkins PLC. A UK company. They were subsequently bought by an American company led by a disgruntled former employee, American Saf-T hammer. Who promptly renounced the Clinton deal.

TheSAW - watch it, your starting to sound like Bill Ruger SR with your ten comment. Actually sound worse. He said that no honest citizen needed more than 15 rounds, not ten.

I'm well aware of the S&W issue. And there are people who won't buy a S&W because of it, even though all the executives have changed - which is even more ridiculous than the people who are still mad at Sturm Ruger for policies that they no longer follow and which were created by a now long dead man.

Dcm, not saying im not a fan of high cap mags, cuz i certainly am! But id like to believe that a mag restriction didn't push me into buying an inferior product. That was just my thoughts! At the time the Sr series was readily available around me and it fit my hand great at a price my wallet didn't mind :)

I'm with you completely. Better to spend that extra $400 on ammo if you are on a budget.
Also, if you shoot the Ruger better, then 11 shot well is certainly better than 18 shot less well.
The premise of my point had assumed that you liked/shot each equally well.

I'm with you completely. Better to spend that extra $400 on ammo if you are on a budget.
Also, if you shoot the Ruger better, then 11 shot well is certainly better than 18 shot less well.
The premise of my point had assumed that you liked/shot each equally well.

and your premise would be correct sir! i had fallen on hard times and sold my glocks a while back, i regret the sale for obvious love of the guns! The ruger was a wonderful alternative and I had a tendency to shoot both well, needless to say I was/am happy with both. i reccomend the G19 over the 17 myself for the OP and apologize for the side tracking!

Dom

and your premise would be correct sir! i had fallen on hard times and sold my glocks a while back, i regret the sale for obvious love of the guns! The ruger was a wonderful alternative and I had a tendency to shoot both well, needless to say I was/am happy with both. i reccomend the G19 over the 17 myself for the OP and apologize for the side tracking!

Dom

Thank you Dom and ALL for your input

I finally had a chance to go out to zerohour and checked out glocks they have. actually the only had one in 9mm - g19 and about half-dozen various .40 cals.
I tried g19 and it does not sit well in my hand. I tried full size g22 and liked full size frame ALOT better. BTW if anyone's interested most or all all those glocks were gen1 police trades.
i feel like gen2 or 2.5, maybe 3 should be a better gun, possibly less bit up, with these guns there is no way to know how much use they actually had.
i'll keep looking. my patience is great.

so as you might notice I'm pretty much convinced in favor of glock. i'll probably acquire sr9 as well at some point regardless whether i like glock or not.

they also have Polish synthetic ak74 mags and steel ak47 mags $30 a piece, if anyone interested. both look brand new, although it apears that ak47s were refinished here in US, since they all charcoal grey park.

I've owned a SR9c and own a G22.

Both were nice, but in the end I sold the SR9c and kept the G22. With a conversion barrel, I have both a .40 and a 9mm full size pistol.

Try out both if you can and get what works for you. If you're patient,you can find a Glock in MA for a reasonable price.

- HP

this is interesting. so i can get 22 and just swap to 9mm barrel? is it really that easy?
how about .40 mags, will those be able to feed 9mm round or i would need to get separate set of mags?
thanks

this is interesting. so i can get 22 and just swap to 9mm barrel? is it really that easy?
how about .40 mags, will those be able to feed 9mm round or i would need to get separate set of mags?
thanks

you need to get the 9mm mags some people install lighter recoil springs also. i guess the conversion barrels are a heavier then a factory 9mm barrels so i guess the lighter springs help the gun cycle with lighter loads

Back
Top Bottom