Glock or Ruger

i have a lone wolf barrels for my g17 , g26 , and g23 they're not conversion barrels i got them just to shoot lead reloads. For 125 bucks you cant go wrong

Beretta 92FS - excellent pistol. About $550 at Four Seasons and they have 15 round pre-ban magazines.

I ordered one of these for my father a couple of months ago. We took it shooting last month and its a great gun. It is however, much bulkier than a Glock. Plus its got all kinds of levers sticking out from its side.

I'd say the 92 makes a great range gun, but is only good as a carry gun if you use an OWB holster. But thats just me.

I am a huge Ruger fan. American engineered and American made. None of this "designed in the USA, and assembled in China" spin going on with Ruger products.

HOWEVER,

If given the choice bewtween the sr9 and the G-17...I'd take the Glock hands down. Simply for the 33rd mags and YEARS of reliability. But then again, that's just me.

"Years of reliability".

The reason I sold my Ruger P90 wasn't a lack of reliability, I just decided I liked the 1911 platform better after about 15 years of service and who knows how many thousands of rounds through it. Butt-ugly (just like Glocks!) but rock-solid reliable. Ate everything I threw through it. The Mark 1 is well over 20 years old, the Mark II is about 5... and my Ruger 10/22 is over 30 years old. It's had the firing pin and extractor replaced because I wore them out.

I ordered one of these for my father a couple of months ago. We took it shooting last month and its a great gun. It is however, much bulkier than a Glock. Plus its got all kinds of levers sticking out from its side.

I'd say the 92 makes a great range gun, but is only good as a carry gun if you use an OWB holster. But thats just me.

Agreed - not a good edc unless you can open carry. I have carried it IWB with layers of clothes but still have the scar from where the holster rubbed the skin on my thigh raw.

Yes it is a BIG gun. I have big hands and put Hogue rubber finger grip wrap arounds on my 92 making the grip even bigger. Fits my hand nicely now. It is heavy too - metal frame and metal magazines. 15+1 rounds makes for a heavy carry.

The OP did not mention using it for carry, but still, makes a nice sidearm under the proper circumstances.

But - given the choice of the Ruger or Glock, I would go Glock - and I do not even own one. I do own a Ruger Mark III and as an entry level bullseye pistol it has been acceptable - after about $400 of after market work and parts. Field stripping it is a nightmare. One of the first things that I look for in a pistol now, is the field stripping procedure. If there is anything AT ALL beyond a take down lever on the frame I pass.

Last edited:
Ruger mark2 and 3 pistols are notorious bastards to take down. But the SR pistols are a piece of cake to take down. I actually prefer taking them down over a glock because you can lock them back and pull the pin. There's no fumbling for the lever with the slide half back. In any case all of these polymer pistols are extremely simple, and so easy you really don't even need to consider it in the comparison

Last edited:
Ruger mark2 and 3 pistols are notorious bastards to take down. But the SR pistols are a piece of cake to take down. I actually prefer taking them down over a glock because you can lock them back and pull the pin. There's no fumbling for the lever with the slide half back. In any case all of these polymer pistols are extremely simple, and so easy you really don't even need to consider it in the comparison

I can take down a MKII or a MkIII with the mag safety removed in about 45 seconds. All you need is a paper clip.
On reassembly, the secret is to make sure the hammer is forward and tilt it up so the strut hits the spring in the correct place. When done properly, assembly takes about as long as disassembly.

Quick and simple if you follow the process. But unforgiving if you don't.

Don

If you want boring, go for the Glock. Load mag, insert mag, empty mag... repeat.
Just kidding here! My G17 eats it all and spits it out consistently. I do own a Ruger P95R15, which is a pleasure to shoot and is rated for plus p ammo (as is Glock). The Ruger has been as reliable as my Glock so far!

I do own a Ruger P95R15, which is a pleasure to shoot and is rated for plus p ammo (as is Glock). The Ruger has been as reliable as my Glock so far!

The Ruger P series guns are large, over-engineered, ridiculously reliable, comfortable (at least in my hands) and the ugliest guns ever made... other than Glocks. Used to have a P90 before I got bit by the 1911 bug. I would have no qualms carrying a Ruger P series gun... as long as I could open carry. (see my above comment about LARGE).

Glock hands down, whenever you have to choose between "X gun" and Glock, choose Glock.

I used to carry an M&P9, and then it took an arrow to the knee, or it jammed... deff. one or the other happened... Long story short, Glocks jam less frequently than EVERY other handgun I've shot lol

Glock all the way, when they came out 20 years ago I could not stop thinking how awesome they were. Still when I shoot mine now, still feel the same, clean em, don't clean em, has carry lint from carrying week after week concealed, round nose, hollow point, I've even shoot so many reloaded lead rounds that it filled the land and grooves without cleaning it no jams... It's just that good. Though had to thoroughly clean the barrel after that the bullets were not accurate any longer you could see them taking huge j hooks out the end of the barrel...
Great guns..
tex

after much thinking and deliberations i end up getting both [smile]

G17vsSR9.jpg

Happy Birthday ME!!!!

So, I am fairly new to the game... had mt LTC since Feb 2011 and I have accumulated the following;

Walther P22 (.22)
Ruger SR9c (9mm)
Colt King Cobra (357)
Bodyguard 380 (.380)
Sig Sauer 1911 (.45)
Glock 30 Gen 3 (.45)
Titan 25 cal (.25)
Seecamp 32 (.32)
Baretta 92A1 (9mm)

I have not been to the range yet with the new glock or the baretta. I have shot my buddies glock (40 cal) though, and to me the best shooting gun out of the box has been my SR9c. The feel and accuracy has been outstanding. The one drawback is that during break-in it has been finicky with ammo! I have had several FTF and FTE's during the first 100 rounds. It could be a break in issue...

As far as hi capacity mags... I just bought the Baretta brand new and got 3 17round mags with it :)

Glock 100%. I had shot both, but I like Glock better. You do pay a lot more for an used Glock in MA, but if you shop around, there are many pre-ban Glock out there, and you can have them ship to MA for a small fee.

So, I am fairly new to the game... had mt LTC since Feb 2011 and I have accumulated the following;

Walther P22 (.22)
Ruger SR9c (9mm)
Colt King Cobra (357)
Bodyguard 380 (.380)
Sig Sauer 1911 (.45)
Glock 30 Gen 3 (.45)
Titan 25 cal (.25)
Seecamp 32 (.32)
Baretta 92A1 (9mm)

I have not been to the range yet with the new glock or the baretta. I have shot my buddies glock (40 cal) though, and to me the best shooting gun out of the box has been my SR9c. The feel and accuracy has been outstanding. The one drawback is that during break-in it has been finicky with ammo! I have had several FTF and FTE's during the first 100 rounds. It could be a break in issue...

As far as hi capacity mags... I just bought the Baretta brand new and got 3 17round mags with it :)

BERETTA and if those are new 17 rounders I wouldn't be posting that on an open forum....

Glock 100%. I had shot both, but I like Glock better. You do pay a lot more for an used Glock in MA, but if you shop around, there are many pre-ban Glock out there, and you can have them ship to MA for a small fee.

Oh boy here we go...... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom