• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock or Ruger

In the home is the worst place for post ban hi-caps. I have never seen the mag police going around checking for post bans. If you ever have to use it in your home the first thing they will do is confiscate you gun. Even if you are found in the right, having the post ban will probably result in the loss of your gun and any future gun ownership.

Last edited:
I was trying to decide the same thing, already had Glocks and I'm glad went with the G17 it's takes all the abuse I throw out

In the home is the worst place for post ban hi-caps. I have never seen the mag police going around checking for post bans. If you ever have to use it in your home the first thing they will do is confiscate you gun. Even if you are found in the right, having the post ban will probably result in the loss of your gun and any future gun ownership.

Well, if that is the case, nobody in MA should want high capacity mags [thinking]

I can't spend my time worrying whether or not a legit Gun store is selling me "post ban" mags when they stated they were pre bans.

Not trying to argue with you. Do what ever you want. If you are sure they are pre ban that's fine. Just remember if they are not, don't expect the store salesman to take the rap. Better to verify it yourself than take a i'm not going to worry about it approach with someting that could cost you your guns,loss of your license and a criminal record. Remember this is MA.

Not trying to argue with you. Do what ever you want. If you are sure they are pre ban that's fine. Just remember if they are not, don't expect the store salesman to take the rap. Better to verify it yourself than take a i'm not going to worry about it approach with someting that could cost you your guns,loss of your license and a criminal record. Remember this is MA.

I hear what you are saying.

So, I am fairly new to the game... had mt LTC since Feb 2011 and I have accumulated the following;

Walther P22 (.22)
Ruger SR9c (9mm)
Colt King Cobra (357)
Bodyguard 380 (.380)
Sig Sauer 1911 (.45)
Glock 30 Gen 3 (.45)
Titan 25 cal (.25)
Seecamp 32 (.32)
Baretta 92A1 (9mm)

I have not been to the range yet with the new glock or the baretta. I have shot my buddies glock (40 cal) though, and to me the best shooting gun out of the box has been my SR9c. The feel and accuracy has been outstanding. The one drawback is that during break-in it has been finicky with ammo! I have had several FTF and FTE's during the first 100 rounds. It could be a break in issue...

As far as hi capacity mags... I just bought the Baretta brand new and got 3 17round mags with it :)

Uh oh. You sound like one of those dangerous gun hoarders. I hope you don't live in Brookline. Why would anyone
need 9 guns??

Shhhhhhh.

The judge in the brookline case literally interrupted the defendant's attorney as he was talking about his client's general trustworthiness and said "How can you say that. I can not imagine how anyone could need 37 guns".

Ok. He's sure to get a fair trial.

finally got to shoot two of my new pistols today.
I have to say i liked both but loved neither.

I very much liked how smooth and softly SR9 recoils/cycles. but i didn't like long, rubbery trigger pull.

I loved trigger on G17 but gun jerks pretty violently every shot. Also sights on G17 are IMO better than on SR9. My Glock groups were tighter than rugger's

wasn't able to determine which one of the pistols had better grip. Both felt pretty comfortable, i need to shoot more to figure that one out.

deff mike, you will want to shoot them both alot. the ruger trigger gets plain sexy after doing some dry firing and using it. after a couple thousand down the tubes of my SR its a totally different gun.

Dom

One thing re glock recoil.

I've never liked the .40 cal Glock 22 or 23. I found the recoil difficult to manage when shooting full power loads quickly.

This winter I bought a Gen4 22 and its recoil was SIGNIFICANTLY softer than prior versions of the same gun.
The RTF also did a great job keeping the gun from shifting.

Just my .02

I'm wondering what's the difference: compound recoils spring, heavier slide?
if i could tweak my glock to recoil like sr9 i would be as happy as pig in the mud [smile], it's only gripe i have about glock at this point.

Or you could fix the SR9s trigger.

Do you have one of the guns with the same trigger as an SR9C?

When I first shot a SR9, the trigger was HORRIBLE. Then a couple of years later, I got to shoot a SR9C and the trigger was worlds better. The SR rep told me that the trigger from the SR9C was being rolled out to the full sized gun also. I don't know if thats true, I haven't shot one since I shot the C model.

First thing I'd do is remove the mag safety.

If you're handy, you might experiment with some Wolff springs.

If you're less handy, you may try this:
http://www.ghostinc.com/category/ru...l_other_connectors_installation_instructions/

Just a thought.

Last edited:
my SR9 already has mag disconnect removed. and plastic striker replaced with metal.

while i like Ruger it is limited to 10rd capacity, therefore i would rather work on glock first.
i might have to shovel through glocktalk for recoil solutions, but i figured i ask here first in case someone knows what shortcut to take.

Really? And what if they need to replace the receiver.

Why would you need to replace the frame? You have a better chance of dying than having an issue with the actual frame of the gun...

i might have to shovel through glocktalk for recoil solutions, but i figured i ask here first in case someone knows what shortcut to take.

Recoil solutions? A better grip... Thumbs forward and your good to go. If you are having recoil issues with a Glock, you need to ditch that tea cup grip.

Last edited:
I own both. G17 and SR9. Honestly, if I didnt live in MA Id prefer the Sr9. But since I live in ma being able to carry more than 10rds is an advantage. Also, it def adds to the coolness factor.

I own both. G17 and SR9. Honestly, if I didnt live in MA Id prefer the Sr9. But since I live in ma being able to carry more than 10rds is an advantage. Also, it def adds to the coolness factor.

There is no coolness factor to having to find preban magazines so that you can load your Glock to STANDARD capacity.

There is no coolness factor to having to find preban magazines so that you can load your Glock to STANDARD capacity.

Seriously, thats the capacity these guns were designed with. I know that you already ended up with both, but I was in the same boat and like the SR9 trigger over the glock, but like the glock better in everything else.

Long story short, I recently bought a g19, but have still been trying to convince myself not to buy an sr9c.

Call it whatever you want. 17>10

OK, but I have standard capacity mags in my glock and paid the same if not less than what used post bans go for. Not all of us in ban states pay out the ass for large cap mags like people think

One thing re glock recoil.

I've never liked the .40 cal Glock 22 or 23. I found the recoil difficult to manage when shooting full power loads quickly.

The Glock 22 is my go-to gun. I find it shoots smooth and crisp and on target. I honestly don't notice it being hard to manage due to recoil. Any handgun is going to have muzzle rise, but the G22 sits right back down with a good sight picture.

Side note: I just wish we could buy new G4 Glocks here in MA. My brother lives in a free state and when I visited him I talked him into buying a Glock 17 for home defense. He just walked into the gun store, showed his driver's license, filled out the fed form, and boom: new Glock 17 with 3 new high-cap mags and a speed loader in a nice case — all for around $500, which is about what we pay here for 20-year-old used ones. Sigh.

I own the G17, G19, and the SR9c. I wouldn't sell any of them. They are all awesome handguns and the SR series handguns are almost identical to the Glock assembly, so you can imagine how reliable the Ruger is. I think the Glock just gets hate (I still don't understand why) and the Ruger gets less hate here on NES. If you can find a nice G19 for a good price, buy it. There are many on GunBroker that will transfer into this state without issue.

Rob, the key word in my statement above is "quickly". My splits when shooting a 17 vs a 22 are so much faster for similar accuracy. With the stock gun I found I tended to re-grip between shots, which is not good.

With all that said, I owned a Gen4 G22 briefly and found I shot it much better than the Gen3 gun. The double recoil spring seems to take some of the snap off the .40 and the RTF texture locks the gun to your hand pretty well.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, but I have standard capacity mags in my glock and paid the same if not less than what used post bans go for. Not all of us in ban states pay out the ass for large cap mags like people think

I was talking about capacity. Not money. I agree with you. Especially since most people are better served by NON-drop free, U notch mags for defensive use. Which are cheap.

Why would you need to replace the frame? You have a better chance of dying than having an issue with the actual frame of the gun...

While Glock frame swaps are relatively rare, they're not so rare as to be a non-zero possibility. There have been at least a half a dozen people or more on this board that have gotten screwed by Glock because they happened to have a damaged or recalled frame on their gun.

The unlikely possibility of having to do that though, is still not enough to scare me away from the platform.

-Mike

Last edited:
While Glock frame swaps are relatively rare, they're not so rare as to be a non-zero possibility. There have been at least a half a dozen people or more on this board that have gotten screwed by Glock because they happened to have a damaged or recalled frame on their gun.

I know that it does happen but the odds are extremely low. If 6 people on this forum have had issues and there are 24,000 members.. 0.025% chance that in the lifetime of the Glock there will be a problem with the frame.. betting odds Id say.

Back
Top Bottom