Glock or Ruger

I'm looking into buying new full size handgun (.40 or 9mm) and considering following two specimens:
Ruger SR9 or SR40 vs Glock 17/22

G17vsSR9.jpg

I'm inclined towards Ruger since it's cheaper and toward 9mm since ammo is also cheaper and much more widely available.
Also which of the guns is better in which caliber if there is such difference.
Just interested in your opinion, anything you have to say please feel free to lay it on me. All info/feedback is good.

thank you.

UPDATE:
=============================
after much thinking and deliberations i end up getting both [smile]

Last edited:
Glock 17 hands down, if you can swing the extra money, if needed. (depending on what you are buying).

The Rugers work, and they are cheap, though. I don't like being stuck with cripplemags on a gun like that in MA, though, so I wouldn't buy one. The flamingly gay loaded chamber indicator and unnecessary safety lever don't help sell things, either. There is also the mag safety but I am pretty sure that is repairable, so I won't hold that against the platform.

-Mike

Last edited:
Both are good guns. I prefer Glock but what matters most is what you are most comfortable shooting. I have a 17 (not for sale) but you could try it out if you want. PM me if interested.
Not sure if you are set on just those two but S&W M&P are very good too and are worth a look. I shot a friend's M&P in 40 and it was very nice.

I'd go with the Glock. You shouldn't have to pay MA prices if you do your homework, and the simpler takedown + pre-ban mag availability seal it. That being said, shoot them both if you haven't already -- you could end up hating how one or the other feels.

And the mag safety is easily removed on the Ruger.

Both are good guns. I prefer Glock but what matters most is what you are most comfortable shooting. I have a 17 (not for sale) but you could try it out if you want. PM me if interested.
Not sure if you are set on just those two but S&W M&P are very good too and are worth a look. I shot a friend's M&P in 40 and it was very nice.

I've shot glock before, but it was a while ago and I was new to handguns back than. I just remember that grip felt kind of strange. But as I said it was one of my first handguns to shoot. I don't even know what caliber it was. And to be totally honest I don't really remember much. Actually that day i tied glock and TT-33 and all i remember tha glock had funky grip but TT had stronger recoil.

Glock 17 hands down, if you can swing the extra money, if needed. (depending on what you are buying).

The Rugers work, and they are cheap, though. I don't like being stuck with cripplemags on a gun like that in MA, though, so I wouldn't buy one. The flamingly gay loaded chamber indicator and unnecessary safety lever don't help sell things, either. There is also the mag safety but I am pretty sure that is repairable, so I won't hold that against the platform.

-Mike

I can't speak to the Glock, but the mag safety is very easy to remove on the Ruger (I took it out of my SR9c in about 5 minutes). There's also a blank you can put in for the LCI ($15 Galloway LCI Delete, I'm considering it). Yup, both of those require work and cost in the way of the LCI delete, so factor those in if your trade-off. That leaves the manual slide safety. If that's a deal breaker for you, your question is answered. Like Mike said, if you're interested in >10 rd mags, your quest ends here.

Guess I will be the voice of dissension. I purchased a brand new SR9 9mm.
1100 rounds down the pipe with no problems. Super accurate and very comfortable
in your hand. Super pointability. Plus it does not look like a shoe box with a handle.
If possbile shoot both and make your own decision.

Glock, better gun, better warranty, better resale value if you ever want to unload it.

Really? And what if they need to replace the receiver? You're screwed in MA, I believe - they won't ship Gen 3 or 4 receivers here (even though LEGALLY they can), right?

I think I'd rather have the Ruger - get a NEW gun without paying a premium, even if you DO have to do a little work. And, of course, it's American made. Plus the Ruger fits better in my hand, at least. Had a Glock, got rid of it.

I'd probably vote for the Glock, even though my first 9mm was a Ruger SR9. I still think it's a great gun for the money. I got mine used for $350, with the mag disconnect already removed.

It has been 100% reliable, and it's a good gun, but the longer I own it, the more the crippled mags eat away at my soul.

i owned two ruger sr9s and sold one and I have a few glocks. The ruger goes in the range bag and the glock goes on my hip. Both rugers were very accurate but both have had failure to go in battery issues with some factory ammo and reloads but i never had an issue with anyone of the glocks that i own or have owned hence why I carry a glock . i would say the rugers where slightly more accurate but the glocks are way more relayable, fell better made, and are easier to use.

Glock 19/17 without doubt. If you get a 3rd or 4th gen, you will pay more in Ma, but will never loose your money if you decide to sell. And if you get high cap mags (preban) never sell them(unless its to me), even if you sell the gun, cuz you will end up with another at some point, then kick yourself in the a** for selling your mags.

At least with the Ruger you won't have brass spraying you in the face all damn day. I have had 2 BRAND NEW Gen 4 Glocks, and they both ended up sucking. I sold them both, and will probably never buy another one again. I would go with the Ruger.

Or, maybe if you do go with Glock get the gen 3 maybe. Both of my Gen 4's, especially the G21 I had were friggen horrible.

It was something new for me to try anyway, but I won't ever buy another one again. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
As far as the Glock I think it depends on the Generation. I like 2.5 or 3. I also have a Ruger SR9C and like it a lot. I hear the trigger is better on the 9C that the 9.

You're not too far from me. Let me know if you'd like to try out my 3rd gen Glock 17 and my Ruger SR9C.

Glock is a great gun, my only problem is you'll pay a lot more money than its worth for a used gun [if you live in Mass]. I have Sigs, S&W M&P and Rugers. Start with the Ruger, new gun, reliable and inexpensive. 10 round maximum is what it is in Mass. The S&W is a great gun too, life time warranty and accurate. Best thing is [to me], its a new gun vs an older one.. Good luck..

Note: I do not own a Glock...

Having said that; I do own the Ruger SR9 and love it, it was my first gun and for that purpose it's great, easy to shoot, fits well in my hands and is very accurate. For the $ it's a great deal, I know glocks are more expensive and has been one of the main reasons for me not purchasing one yet. Glocks form what I understand her hands down the most reliable handgun out there. The SR9 for me has been nearly flawless. Over 1200+ rounds I've had maybe 4 FTE's, but again for the price (in comparison to the glock, it's great and well worth it, I recommend it)

Caliber: I go with the 9mm, there are plenty of arguments for and against, my thoughts are: A) I like to shoot a lot and it's cheaper then .40 or .45, B) Some say you need bigger for more stopping power, but I say a couple of well placed 9mm hollow-points will do just fine...

I own both you should too. Seriously if you can get by most of the rugers gay safety's its a fine gun with a better trigger than a glock. You also get stainless parts with the ruger for cheaper money in an american made gun by an american company. However if you have any thoughts of reselling get the glock you'll do much better on resale with that. And if your interested in legal ownership of hicaps the glock is the way to go.

If your getting a gen 4 glock in 9mm. There have been issues with the springs . My 40 Glocks have had no issues. Hence the reason I stayed away from the glock 9 and bought the ruger instead and have been pleasantly surprised.

I

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom