Get-Home Bag in your vehicle/vehicle kits.

If you flatten a regular size roll of TP it will fit the in the Ziplock large sandwich bag perfectly. I then double it and put that baggy into a gallon size ziplock.
I swing into a McD's or Wendy's and grab a handful of napkins. They are way stronger and hold up better. TP deteriorates after a while.

I swing into a McD's or Wendy's and grab a handful of napkins. They are way stronger and hold up better. TP deteriorates after a while.

Wait, who dosnt have a stack of these in your car anyway? What, are you all office workers or something? Between work stuff and camping stuff left in the car I can make a second bag if I need to in about 5 mins with food, water, cloths, essentials and maybe some spare ammo....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wait, who dosnt have a stack of these in your car anyway? What, are you all office workers or something? Between work stuff and camping stuff left in the car I can make a second bag if I need to in about 5 mins with food, water, cloths, essentials and maybe some spare ammo....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I didn't mean after the fact. It's what I keep in there in lieu of TP.

I keep a bag in my car. Short commute to work of only about 15 minutes, but I do make regular runs up to 1.5 hours away. I keep a change of clothes, couple pairs of socks, hat, mora knife, leatherman, multiple means of fire, a little fishing line and hooks, flashlight, headlamp, enough food to last me a couple of days, bivy sack, contractor garbage bags, water, paracord and carabiner and a few other odds and ends in a plain jane black and grey backpack. Nothing that looks survivalist or like a military wanna be. Plan is to hoof it home as quickly as possible on backroads/through the woods if need be.

Yup. Between my work bag and the BOB itself and the other supplies in the car I tend to haul around a bit of stuff. I haven't made it past page one so hopefully OP has posted a list of what he already has for feedback

I keep a survival/emergency bag in my car, as well as a sleeping pad, pair of boots, gortex jacket, and case of water. It isn't perfect, I'm often thinking of things I probably should have that I don't, but it is better than nothing.

The tough thing about kits like this is you really don't know what you do or don't need until you actually are in a situation where you need something. And of course since you have it for the unexpected, you can only plan so much. It's interesting to read what stuff people have. I'm always finding out about good ideas or certain things that are probably useful I hadn't thought of.

I should probably re-inventory my stuff and add/remove things and check batteries (headlamp/flashlight).

I think the most important things are to a) have something and b)know how to use the things you have. It doesn't help to much to worry about what you don't have (not that you shouldn't think about it). That won't help you if you end up in some emergency situation.

My biggest fear during everyday driving to and from work or around town ect.. is getting caught in really bad snowstorms or freezing tempatures and thats what Im prepared for to get home on foot if neccesary. I keep a collapsable bucket shovel in my trunk and a medium sized hockey bag in there as well. Inside the bag is socks, boots, extreme weather gloves, hat, gortex jacket with hood, sweatshirt, longsleeve turtle neck, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of Snow pants, Flashlight. I also have in my front seat area a solid folding knife ( Gerber 06 with window punch on handle ), water bottle, a case of high calorie/energy protein bars, lighter, matches, and lock box with a cable lock to attach under my seat for my carry gun + 1 mag. This is my everyday year round car gear. After reading this thread I should get some type of first aid kit and map in there.

I came across a backpack rain cover while digging through my hiking gear. That's going in the GHB. Also bought an inexpensive rain suit from an Army Barracks surplus store.

What do you guys do for water purification, tablets or a filtering system?

My biggest fear during everyday driving to and from work or around town ect.. is getting caught in really bad snowstorms or freezing tempatures and thats what Im prepared for to get home on foot if neccesary. I keep a collapsable bucket shovel in my trunk and a medium sized hockey bag in there as well. Inside the bag is socks, boots, extreme weather gloves, hat, gortex jacket with hood, sweatshirt, longsleeve turtle neck, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of Snow pants, Flashlight. I also have in my front seat area a solid folding knife ( Gerber 06 with window punch on handle ), water bottle, a case of high calorie/energy protein bars, lighter, matches, and lock box with a cable lock to attach under my seat for my carry gun + 1 mag. This is my everyday year round car gear. After reading this thread I should get some type of first aid kit and map in there.

A first aid kit is probably a better idea to have year round than snow pants and other winter gear. If you have a hockey bag with winter gear in your car year round I think you can probably find space for one. [wink]

I came across a backpack rain cover while digging through my hiking gear. That's going in the GHB. Also bought an inexpensive rain suit from an Army Barracks surplus store.

What do you guys do for water purification, tablets or a filtering system?

I like the Sawyer drinking straws, good for 100thousand gallon of water and compact to fit anyware.
Plus they are 20.00 bucks at Walmart, I pick up one a week and just store them eveyware.

Jason.

A first aid kit is probably a better idea to have year round than snow pants and other winter gear. If you have a hockey bag with winter gear in your car year round I think you can probably find space for one. [wink]

So true, I actually read my post after and though about how stupid I am for not having one. [cheers]

Axe, Shovel, bow saw, rope, tire chains, sand, come-along, so you don't get stuck in the first place ;)

I just have a couple bottles of purification tablets. Smaller, lighter and cheaper than a filter. My bag is designed for a few days, not weeks.

I also keep about 35-50 litres of water in the car at all times, some for survival purposes and others for drinking. When I finish a case (down to 35) I buy another and restock up to 50.

My ghbs are stocked with 3 litres each, to be supplemented by my larger stock which serves many purpises.

Last edited:

I can fully understand this as I was out in Buffalo last Fall when that monster of a storm hit and quickly found my GHB wasn't outfitted properly (not enough "seasonally" appropriate gear - was an old post about that adventure in the survival section). One of the primary N-S roads ended up opening up so I was able to drive north to Lockport as I-90 was closed and escaped the mess but I learned a lot from it.

I can fully understand this as I was out in Buffalo last Fall when that monster of a storm hit and quickly found my GHB wasn't outfitted properly (not enough "seasonally" appropriate gear - was an old post about that adventure in the survival section). One of the primary N-S roads ended up opening up so I was able to drive north to Lockport as I-90 was closed and escaped the mess but I learned a lot from it.

I think it was you who was telling this story of driving a van with little heat and getting blinded by that storm, if not then it was another member on this site.
But anyways that story inspired me to rethink my winter gear, if it was you thanks for sharing, if not I'm glad you made it.

Jason.

Even when I worked 52 miles from work I never really had that much as far as a GHB goes. I picked up an old North Face hydration pack for $35 at a REI garage sale that'll hold a decent amount of stuff I can pull from the ordinary items kept in the car. Being sort of a klutz in my younger years I've always had even the most basic of first aid kits in all my cars. Also when I was younger I had the habit of buying beater cars so I usually have a blanket and rain gear stashed in the trunk. Come winter I'll throw in some spare cold weather gear into the car but I've never intended on having to Louis and Clark my way home with heaps of gear, I'll scavenge if need be. As for water needs, there's plenty of commercial properties out there where a sillcock key will come in handy so no need to store water in the trunk for me. If, for some reason, I find myself in an unfamiliar area I've got the GPS on my phone and two GPS units in the car, a inexpensive one up front as a distraction to would be thieves and a nice one in the trunk along with a power pack for recharging it all. Suntan lotion and bug spray have been staples in my cars since I was a teenager having been caught one to many times without either. Stored foodstuffs would be Datrex bar block, Bridgford sandwiches, and a few 5 hour energy drinks(with a back up bottle of no doze).

My plan is to stay light and move fast, if my NF pack is even remotely close to ten pounds(including water) I'm doing it wrong.

I have everything my son and I would need to survive for approximately 3 days including shelter, water purification, food, fire, light, navigation, and first aid. I always "double up" on the supplies. Example; I have two ways to make shelter, three ways to purify water, etc. The bag weighs about twenty pounds and we have tested how far we can walk on flat ground in five hours with this pack. We did 12 miles within that time. Keep in mind that my son is under 10 when you figure how far we made it.

Basic 1st aid kit. Space blanket. Knife. Pack able rain jacket. Matches. Sleeping bag liner. Sawyer water filter. In the winter I add a hat, gloves,scarf and fleece. Stays in the trunk in a cheap duffle. Plan would be to swap out my regular commuter crap from my backpack for that if need ever. Basic purpose would be to be able to stay with a broken down car in the winter if needed. Secondarily to be able to get home reasonable distance in the event of things REALLY going bad. I've a small trunk so amount of crap is a factor.

For those who say they carry water and food, what do you do about winter? I avoid just leaving water in the vehicle in colder months so that the water doesn't freeze and rupture the container. Energy bars or nuts probably will degrade over time too, if they keep freezing and also heating up to 120+ in the sun during summer time. When I go on trips, I try to remember to bring water and food, then I remove it when the trip is over. I also keep two empty stainless steel water bottles tucked away in back somewhere, so at least I have something I can fill with water should something happen and I need to acquire it.

For those who say they carry water and food, what do you do about winter? I avoid just leaving water in the vehicle in colder months so that the water doesn't freeze and rupture the container. Energy bars or nuts probably will degrade over time too, if they keep freezing and also heating up to 120+ in the sun during summer time. When I go on trips, I try to remember to bring water and food, then I remove it when the trip is over. I also keep two empty stainless steel water bottles tucked away in back somewhere, so at least I have something I can fill with water should something happen and I need to acquire it.

I hear ya..I keep 2 small bottle of water in the side pockets of backpack and they do freeze in winter. Since this is a GHB and really on set up for a day or 2, I figure if I really need the water that bad I'll just have to start a small fire to thaw it out..

If you're looking at a GHB, for me it's not a planned excursion, but I'd make sure I had about 40 tablets of ibuprofen, because you're going to be sore humping a 25 pound pack 10-15-20 miles. Would take 600Mg before the first step to limit/stave off the inflamation you KNOW will be coming. Also some moleskin. Blisters happen.

Lifeboat rations. I currently have Datrex water pouches and food bars in 2400 calorie packs, though Mainstay are good too. The water, being in pouches, doesn't burst from temperature swings. The stuff is rated for 5 years in harsh conditions. I actually did a taste test of a pack of bars after storing 7 straight years in the trunk of my car. They were fine. A little bit oxidized looking compared to new ones, but they tasted fine and I had no ill effects.

Lifeboat rations. I currently have Datrex water pouches and food bars in 2400 calorie packs, though Mainstay are good too. The water, being in pouches, doesn't burst from temperature swings. The stuff is rated for 5 years in harsh conditions. I actually did a taste test of a pack of bars after storing 7 straight years in the trunk of my car. They were fine. A little bit oxidized looking compared to new ones, but they tasted fine and I had no ill effects.
I tried lifeboat rations (Mainstay) about 10 years ago. I had some issues with them, the first being they were like blocks of chalk. I literally could not bite into them and had to crush them up. The second issue is that I am allergic and broke out in hives for 24 hours. The water packs might work though.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I tried lifeboat rations (Mainstay) about 10 years ago. I had some issues with them, the first being they were like blocks of chalk. I literally could not bite into them and had to crush them up. The second issue is that I am allergic and broke out in hives for 24 hours. The water packs might work though.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
My sympathies. I have food allergies too. Do you know what you're allergic to? The three big brands all have slightly different ingredients, maybe one will work for you. (Datrex, Mainstay, SOS) Yeah the ones I've tried are a bit dry, but you can dampen them with water. I prefer do that than keep something in the car that's going to go bad fairly quickly. And I know I'll probably forget to swap them out in time. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom