Get-Home Bag in your vehicle/vehicle kits.

My sympathies. I have food allergies too. Do you know what you're allergic to? The three big brands all have slightly different ingredients, maybe one will work for you. (Datrex, Mainstay, SOS) Yeah the ones I've tried are a bit dry, but you can dampen them with water. I prefer do that than keep something in the car that's going to go bad fairly quickly. And I know I'll probably forget to swap them out in time. YMMV.
I do, but I am not sure which ingredient in the rations could have caused it. The other issue is even if I could eat these things, I probably can't convince my wife to.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

For those who say they carry water and food, what do you do about winter? I avoid just leaving water in the vehicle in colder months so that the water doesn't freeze and rupture the container. Energy bars or nuts probably will degrade over time too, if they keep freezing and also heating up to 120+ in the sun during summer time. When I go on trips, I try to remember to bring water and food, then I remove it when the trip is over. I also keep two empty stainless steel water bottles tucked away in back somewhere, so at least I have something I can fill with water should something happen and I need to acquire it.

I've been keeping water in the car for about 5 years and never had a bottle rupture. I usually swap them out spring and fall. In the spring they are usually misshapen but still good when I swap them. Millennium bars are made to withstand extreme temp fluctuations and are supposed to be good for 5 years. I keep a couple of those in the car along with some instant oatmeal packets, MRE and Mountain House packs. I also have some Gatorade pouches for some quick carbs. I keep an assortment of things so I have an option of a hot or cold meal to keep me going.

I always keep a case of water in my truck and just drink it as needed then replace. In the winter I take a few in the office with me and they thaw. I drink them and throw a couple more in my laptop bag and repeat the next morning.

I've been keeping water in the car for about 5 years and never had a bottle rupture. I usually swap them out spring and fall. In the spring they are usually misshapen but still good when I swap them. Millennium bars are made to withstand extreme temp fluctuations and are supposed to be good for 5 years. I keep a couple of those in the car along with some instant oatmeal packets, MRE and Mountain House packs. I also have some Gatorade pouches for some quick carbs. I keep an assortment of things so I have an option of a hot or cold meal to keep me going.
Instant oatmeal is a great idea. I keep a couple of instant coffee packets and some hot cocoa mix.

Instant oatmeal is a great idea. I keep a couple of instant coffee packets and some hot cocoa mix.
Oh thanks for the reminder..... Instant coffee. Its not fun being in an emergency and having caffeine withdrawals. Ill add that and sugar to the kit.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have a different take on my GHB. I work in Dorchester and I have to take into account that the suit I have to wear would stand out if I was huffing it home so my bag includes some really beat up clothes (ripped, oil stained etc) water purification straw, some protein bars, beaten up hiking boots and my personal defense gear. I estimate it will take me around eight hours to hoof it home. I walk three miles a day so I am not too concerned about endurance although the I am planning a 10 mile walk soon to see how it goes.

For those who say they carry water and food, what do you do about winter? I avoid just leaving water in the vehicle in colder months so that the water doesn't freeze and rupture the container. Energy bars or nuts probably will degrade over time too, if they keep freezing and also heating up to 120+ in the sun during summer time. When I go on trips, I try to remember to bring water and food, then I remove it when the trip is over. I also keep two empty stainless steel water bottles tucked away in back somewhere, so at least I have something I can fill with water should something happen and I need to acquire it.
MWC not filled to top so there's some expansion ability. The cars a daily driver so I expect that the car is heated enough that the freezing never gets to be an issue
The can is also stored in one of the insulated covers

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...um=CJ&utm_campaign=Redirect-Enabled+Deep+Link

That I figure will delay any on-set of complete freezing of the cans contents

My definition of a GHB is a bag with survival items needed if you had to abandon your vehicle and hoof it home. Living in southern NH is just don’t see the need. In 36 years of driving I’ve never once found myself in a situation where I might need a GHB. That said, I do keep a few items in my car for a minor emergency. I have a flashlight, bugs pray, and a small tool kit. On my person carry a handgun, spare mag and a cell phone. That should get me through 99.99% of the emergencies I could encounter. I do need to get a decent first aid kit to keep in the truck. Now if I lived in a very remote part of Arizona or Wyoming then I would consider a real GHB for survival.

My definition of a GHB is a bag with survival items needed if you had to abandon your vehicle and hoof it home. Living in southern NH is just don’t see the need. In 36 years of driving I’ve never once found myself in a situation where I might need a GHB. That said, I do keep a few items in my car for a minor emergency. I have a flashlight, bugs pray, and a small tool kit. On my person carry a handgun, spare mag and a cell phone. That should get me through 99.99% of the emergencies I could encounter. I do need to get a decent first aid kit to keep in the truck. Now if I lived in a very remote part of Arizona or Wyoming then I would consider a real GHB for survival.

How many situations have you found yourself in where you needed a handgun? But you carry one, right? Why? The answer to that question is the same to why people have survival bags in their cars.

I tend to be a snob when it comes to water storage and only carry stainless steel water bottles. I can easily detect even the slightest plastic taste, so I avoid plastic water bottles. I guess I could keep some anyway just in case; it is better than being thirsty. I suspect stainless steel is more likely to rupture.

I'll have to look into those Millennium bars. I couldn't find an ingredients list for them and I have lots of allergies. Do you know what's in them?

I've had good results keeping water bottles in a hard-sided 9qt cooler--it doesn't typically freeze solid.

Only bag I have in my truck is a trash bag and if I need food...I have gum...mints and stale fries in the seats...if I get super desperate I'll just rob you guys of your stuff.

I went hiking at Glacier last summer with my daughter, my sister in law and her husband. We did a fairly strenuous set of day hikes while we were there including a 12 mile RT with a decent elevation change. I packed a camelback, a fleece, a pack able rain jacket, a lightweight filter, a space blanket, light first aid kit, a hat, camera, knife, some paracord, a head lamp and bear mace. Plus a PBJ, granola bar and some trail mix. All told not counting water MAYBE 10lbs of gear. Heaviest individual item was the water filter.

My brother in law packed all kinds of survival shit. 30lbs of gear at least. He was hurting. My point is if you're packing 30lbs of gear I hope you're practicing humping it otherwise it may cause you way more problems just by the weight than it benefits you.

I tend to be a snob when it comes to water storage and only carry stainless steel water bottles. I can easily detect even the slightest plastic taste, so I avoid plastic water bottles. I guess I could keep some anyway just in case; it is better than being thirsty. I suspect stainless steel is more likely to rupture.

I'll have to look into those Millennium bars. I couldn't find an ingredients list for them and I have lots of allergies. Do you know what's in them?
This site lists ingredients:
http://www.homefrontemergency.com/mienbaboxof2.html

http://beprepared.com/millennium-energy-bar-combo.html

As far as the bottled water I just use the water I get by the case at BJ's (their brand) I hate plastic taste in my water and have never noticed it in theirs. I won't even use a plastic travel mug for hot liquids. I can always taste plastic. But I also notice a metal taste if I leave water in the stainless steel bottles too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Stainless is OK as long as you don't fill them more than 3/4 full.

Even when mine aren't full the bottom pops out it I leave one in the car in the winter and it freezes, Easily fixed with a hammer but I was surprised that it happens.

This. I had forgotten that part of my GHB. I keep a Nalgene in it that has a couple of instant oatmeal packets, some of the folgers instant coffee packets and some bullion cubes. I've seen the lifeboat rations for sale, but never picked any up to try. I'll have to grab some to try out. I plan my bag for getting me home from a max of 60 miles or so away. I can cover that in 3-4 days walking. I can eat just about anything for half a week. All that really matters is protein for energy. It's not like going for a pleasure hike where you want something really tasty when you stop for meals. I also keep some of the sealed sandwiches you can get at Dicks in my bag. They're not the greatest, but they're not bad either.

How many situations have you found yourself in where you needed a handgun? But you carry one, right? Why? The answer to that question is the same to why people have survival bags in their cars.

I’m not saying not to if you feel the need. I just don’t feel the need. I can think of a hundred scenarios and countless places I may need a gun. With the places I travel and the routine I keep I can’t think of one likely scenario where I would need anything other than my phone, gun, and a first aid kit (which I still need to get). In cold weather I go out prepared for it by wearing appropriate clothing, even if I’m going from house, to truck to office and back.

I understand, I was just giving you some perspective. What someone might feel the need for another person might not. This is true with anything.

this thread started as a ghb/car broke down bag and progressed to full blown ruck sacks and national disasters, lol. hell, if i'm in a 25 mile radius of my house i'll pull out a cell phone and make a call....help, come get me....i ain't walking no where never mind 25 miles. then i'd probably see a dunkin dounuts within eye sight and wait while sipping hot coffee. you all can pick up your packs, fishing line, cases of bottled water, space blankets, para cord, etc and start hoofing. give me a call to let me know you made it safely.

This. I had forgotten that part of my GHB. I keep a Nalgene in it that has a couple of instant oatmeal packets, some of the folgers instant coffee packets and some bullion cubes. I've seen the lifeboat rations for sale, but never picked any up to try. I'll have to grab some to try out. I plan my bag for getting me home from a max of 60 miles or so away. I can cover that in 3-4 days walking. I can eat just about anything for half a week. All that really matters is protein for energy. It's not like going for a pleasure hike where you want something really tasty when you stop for meals. I also keep some of the sealed sandwiches you can get at Dicks in my bag. They're not the greatest, but they're not bad either.
Lifeboat rations aren't going to get you the protein you're looking for. They're subsistence calories, mainly carbs and fats with a little protein. The beauty of those rations is their long life in a variety of temperatures. Throw in a couple of packets of nuts for protein.

Lifeboat rations aren't going to get you the protein you're looking for. They're subsistence calories, mainly carbs and fats with a little protein. The beauty of those rations is their long life in a variety of temperatures. Throw in a couple of packets of nuts for protein.
Big old jar of peanut butter....lol. I won't have to worry about hiking 50 miles home after I glue my mouth shut and choke to death on the side of the road before I even get started. :D

Clif builder bars will keep you going. I have a few in all my BOBs, including the GHB.

builders_2014-wrappers_cbp.png

Big old jar of peanut butter....lol. I won't have to worry about hiking 50 miles home after I glue my mouth shut and choke to death on the side of the road before I even get started. :D
This. Inexpensive and will keep you going for days. If you eat it as much as I do, you won't have trouble rotating it out to keep a fresh jar in the car.

This. Inexpensive and will keep you going for days. If you eat it as much as I do, you won't have trouble rotating it out to keep a fresh jar in the car.

While I was driving around out west I took a pit stop in BFE on the side of the road and sat on the tailgate to make myself some PB and soft tortilla snacks. A sheriff pulled up behind me thinking I had broken down and walked up to me to see if everything was okay. Apparently the whole PB in the car is a thing drunks in area used to cover up the smell of the booze in case they got pulled over so they would automatically expect anyone with PB in the car to be a drunk. After he gave me the once over and found out what I was doing he suggested I not keep the PB in view for the rest of my tour of the area to avoid any "inconveniences" with other LE. [laugh]

He hung around and we BS'ed for a bit about where I'd be going and gave me a list of areas/towns to avoid because of over eager LEOs jamming up out of staters knowing they'd never show up in court to fight anything. He even pointed out a few spots on the map I might like that you would only know about if you were a local, coolest LEO I've ever met.

Forget if I mentioned this in here already, but the trick for me is to have a huge pile of crap in the car for emergencies, then if something happens on take what I need for that emergency. I do keep a standardish kit for EMERGENCY grab and go, but it's not likely I won't have 10 mins to mix and match.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forget if I mentioned this in here already, but the trick for me is to have a huge pile of crap in the car for emergencies, then if something happens on take what I need for that emergency. I do keep a standardish kit for EMERGENCY grab and go, but it's not likely I won't have 10 mins to mix and match.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hear you there..I'm a firm believer in the slob strategy as well. I could live outta my car for weeks

Back
Top Bottom