• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Get-Home Bag in your vehicle/vehicle kits.

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
I've had a basic GHB/vehicle emergency bag in my vehicles for awhile now. I have a 25 mile commute to work daily, my intention is to have a bag that I could either throw on and walk home, use for basic medical emergency, or survive out of for 24 hours or so in the event my vehicle was stranded somewhere and I could not get immediate help.

I'm interested in improving this kit, wondering if anyone else has anything similar in their vehicles.

Yeah I do. I have it equipped for getting home through the wood if necessary.
I don't need it for my commute, but you never know when shit's going to go down.
A very scaled down bug out bag is what it boils down to.
Compass, Eno nylon tarp, extra mag, extra knife, a bota bag and water purification tabs, extra flashlight and batteries..
Bug spray, blast match, parachord, some med supplies and one of those cheap rain poncho's.
I also keep some sea rations in the truck.
Winter time, I keep snow shoes and a ground tarp in there too.

Last edited:
Yeah I do. I have it equipped for getting home through the wood if necessary.
I don't need it for my commute, but you never know when shit's going to go down.
A very scaled down bug out bag is what it boils down to.
Compass, Eno nylon tarp, extra mag, extra knife, a bota bag and water purification tabs, extra flashlight and batteries..
Bug spray, blast match, parachord, some med supplies and one of those cheap rain poncho's.
I also keep some sea rations in the truck.
Winter time, I keep snow shoes and a ground tarp in there too.

this, plus some dryer lint in a vacuum sealed bag for fire starter, a large knife, 50 rounds of .38 & .357sig (usually carrying one or the other), water filter straw.

I keep a few things in my car.

A travel sack, 1 gallon of water, half dozen granola bars, 6x8ft tarp, 50ft of 550 cord, headlamp, mora knife with firesteel, map, compass, poncho, camping hammock, and toilet paper (when you got to go, you got to go!), umbrella, two blankets, and a hand-crank/solar radio.

All of it (except the blankets and umbrella) fits into a small sack and only weighs about 15 lbs, more if I carry the blankets with me. Its enough to get me through a few days in an emergency.
I do a lot of plowing in the winter time. When I'm out plowing I stock my truck (which has a truck cap) with enough food for several days as well as extra clothes, extra water, and a small propane heater.

I'm never more than 15 miles from home unless I'm going away on vacation. Walking home isn't much of a worry but the bad weather or other disaster could cause problems.

I am hoping to add a few things to my kit: a solar charging hit, prepaid cellphone, rechargeable flashlight batteries, handheld radio, and an ar-7 survival rifle.

Last edited:
You already have some great responses, so I won't bore you with an itemized list of what's in my bag. For me the main thing was factoring in my typical commutes in the car. I work less than ten miles from home and rarely travel outside of a 25 mile radius, when visiting family, so my bag doesn't necessarily need any overnight gear, but I still threw a hammock and Poncho/Tarp in there just in case I needed to camp for a night somewhere. The bag itself doesn't weigh more than 15lbs and it pretty much covers just the essentials. (Fire, shelter, water, food, etc.)

What is most important is that every bag must be designed specific to the owners circumstances, so take suggestions with a grain of salt, only you know what best serves your particular needs.

Good luck.

my winter GHB is deferent than my summer. i usually change items out depending on season. I do it for my wife too because i know she won't remember.

+ something to heat water.

I have two bags of water that I made with my vacuum sealer (~ 1 quart apiece) that are frozen solid all winter. I imagine water bottles would do the same. If I need water those aren't useful sources for a while so melting snow could be the first source, albeit a very slow one. I should probably also make smaller bags of water (d'oh).

I currently have a bag in my trunk with winter clothes in it. If I need to hump the 20 or so miles home anytime soon I'll be doing it in my boxer briefs.

Things that get overlooked:

TP and/or baby wipes
Bug spray
Bug net (or at least a bug net hat)
Tweezers and nail clippers (thorn/splinter removal)

I have one in my car. basically the same as you about a 20 mile commute, just enough to either walk home or spend a night away from home. A Tarp, Duct tape, zip ties, emergency blanket, rope, some gloves and a hat, hot hands, couple water bottles,5 hour energy, cliff bar, beef jerkey. some wetfire, lighter and matches, bug spray, pocket saw, flashlight, headlamp, compass, poncho, basic first aid kit, multi-tool and a knife. I think that's about it.

And Im a slob, so there's plenty of sweatshirts and warm clothes thrown about my car

Last edited:
Ive had one for years, but also have a lot of spare food and clothes along with a spare back pack just in case I'm with the kids. Enough food and water for 2 days or if I stretch it more, I travel a lot around NE.
Hats are another thing to carry, cheap baseball caps in the summer heavy hats in the winter.

When we travel with the family I have a larger pack I place in the truck. My wife's says you really think you can carry all that I say up until the first bike I steel and place the pack on that.
Plus I carry two small empty packs so I can spread the load out with my kids.

Along with supply's I also have the EDC and the trunk gun and ammo. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. And all this fits discreetly in my truck.

Jason.

I have a 45 mile multi-state ride to work. Part of this is through RI who sucks for concealed carry so you won't see any firearms related items here. I plan on a 3 day hike if I ever have to do it on foot, unless I "borrow" a bike. I have gotten stuck at work during bad storms and these items have come in handy then. I do change my items by the season.
Bill
Here is my list:
Get Home Bag
Backpack
Survival Kit
Personal Survival Tin
Survival Kit
Personal Survival Tin
alcohol wipes
belt
1 qt canteen w/canteen cup
cotton balls
2 pairs socks
550 cord
fire starter
boots
baby wipes
lighter
extra set clothes
bivy sack
matches
glove inserts
carabineer
mirror
poly pro / thermals
chem light
razor knife
watch cap
coffee
safety pins
e-tool
compass
saw
black trash bag
duck tape
sewing kit
waterproof bag
extra batteries
tea candle
ifak w/tourniquet
flashlight w/red lens
tube of petroleum jelly
first aid kit
Folding knife
foot powder
Walki Talkie / CB / ham
work gloves
moleskin

hand sanitzer
camping stove
headlamp
3 days food
high calorie food bar
4 bottles water
insect repealent
K bar type knife
map & protractor
meds
multi tool
mylar blanket
notepad, waterproof
od bandana
pen
pepper spray

poncho
sunscreen
toilet paper
vinyl gloves
water purification
whistle w/handcuff key
black ball cap
zip lock bags

I have one in my car. basically the same as you about a 20 mile commute, just enough to either walk home or spend a night away from home. A Tarp, Duct tape, zip ties, emergency blanket, rope, some gloves and a hat, hot hands, couple water bottles,5 hour energy, cliff bar, beef jerkey. some wetfire, lighter and matches, bug spray, pocket saw, flashlight, headlamp, compass, poncho, basic first aid kit, multi-tool and a knife. I think that's about it.

And Im a slob, so there's plenty of sweatshirts and warm clothes thrown about my car

I can see the headlines now if your trunk ever gets searched...[rofl]

If you work in an urban area (and even if you don't), consider:

-- protective goggles/eyewear
-- an N95 mask

Think 9/11 and how those lightweight items might have helped if you had to hoof it home from near Ground Zero.

Looking to put one of these together. Any recommendations on a bag/pack? Also, I am assuming most items can be found at an REI/Army Surplus store, but are there any other spots I should be looking?

I got asked to post my setup, unlike my usual self in a situation like mass riots/terrorist attack/grid failure etc, if my vehicle was disabled or vehicle traffic was not an option, I think the best route to use would be to go with the grey man attitude. My commute takes me through some small urban areas. So I have as my GHB a regular black camelback hawg.

I have a 2L hydro bladder in it that I keep full as well as extra water in the truck.
Basic medical
Basic survival tools, fire starter, matches etc.
Some cordage
A good knife
Sunglasses
lip balm
A poncho
Multitool
Extra ammo for my carry gun
Extra ammo for any long gun I may have in the truck
Some cash
Some energy bars.
Compass, map, and Google earth images of my planned route.

My idea is if I need to bail out of my truck and walk home I can cover the 20 miles or so in a day or two on foot if I move out. I want to look like every other schmuck out there if I have to.

Here's some pics of my bag.

Another layer of discussion to add to this: if something like this happened, have you discussed it with friends and family? Do you have rally points? Comms? Does your wife have a similar kit? All valid questions which one should ponder.

I agree 100% with the grey. If you want to blend in stick with grey or tan. Green, black and pattern packs can draw attention to you if you're walking down a road. Personally I keep a second smaller grey typical shitty school backpack (empty) stuffed in my condor which is multicam. I can grab the Condor and "triage" it into the smaller pack to blend in if I need to.

If you need to move away from a vehicle and leave it, I would strongly recommend you keep the idea of finding a bicycle immediately in the front of your thoughts as a primary plan.

Ive been assembling/trying to perfect a pair of GHB for each car I drive in with my girlfriend. Presumably our meeting place is home right? They are get home bags. The contents are pretty standard and in line with most of yours I think. The point about seasonal clothing can't be understated I don't think.

If you flatten a regular size roll of TP it will fit the in the Ziplock large sandwich bag perfectly. I then double it and put that baggy into a gallon size ziplock.

Back
Top Bottom