• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sealing food in Mylar Bag Question

PaulR

NES Member
Long term SHTF food, Idahoan Instant mashed potatoes, they come in a decent looking foil-ish type pouch bag but I can feel a bit of air in there.
Should I seal these things right up in mylar and stuff in the oxygen absorbers, or open/take them out of their original packages and just put in mylar?
What's the general rule for most foods like this?
Thanks

Sealed up:
Powdered Milk
Four
Sugar
Salt
Coffee
Rice
Flaked Potatoes
Orzo
Angel hair
Alphabet Noodles
Powdered Eggs

Looking for Lots more ideas of what I can seal in quart or gallon bags for the pending apocalypse, thanks. đź‘Ť

Paul, I had the same idea a few years back but decided to just keep them in the original form as they are cheap and just use the older ones for meals from time to time, like all preps should be rotated.

Stop and shop will have them on sale and I buy a bunch, then I put the new ones on the bottom and bring my others up towards the front/top.
Again they are pretty cheap and always in stock ( till they ain't lol ) and honestly I have a few packages that are well past 5 years and still where fine to use. I bet there's enough preservatives to last 30 years.

Long term SHTF food, Idahoan Instant mashed potatoes, they come in a decent looking foil-ish type pouch bag but I can feel a bit of air in there.
Should I seal these things right up in mylar and stuff in the oxygen absorbers, or open/take them out of their original packages and just put in mylar?
Thanks
Aren't alot of those bags with a little air in them actually co2 or nitrogen or something?
Yes, many high-quality Mylar bags used for food storage may contain a small amount of CO2 or nitrogen. These inert gases are often used to flush out oxygen during the sealing process to prevent oxidation, extend shelf life, and protect the contents from spoilage and pests. This method is especially common in the packaging of coffee, snacks, and various perishable goods.

Beans and whole kernel dry corn
Unground grains
You can cook and eat them or plant them.
Rotate every 3 years

This is if you have even a small amount of land that can be used to extend your stores

Thanks
For long-term storage, it's best to remove the Idahoan Instant mashed potatoes from their original packaging and transfer them into a Mylar bag with oxygen absorbers. This helps minimize the air and moisture content, prolonging the shelf life of the product. Remember to label the Mylar bag with the contents and date for easy identification.

Back
Top Bottom