• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mylar bag questions

dans

NES Member
I've been looking at mylar bags and a couple of questions came up. Sorry if this is repeating others questions or if they are too simple. I did search here for the info but the prepper threads a pretty long.

1) There appear to be 2 types of bags, zipper lock and heat seal. I'm assuming the zipper lock bags don't seal as well as the other but I'd like to have someone confirm this.

2) Can I use my vacuum sealer to seal the heat sealed bags? It would be great if I could.

3) Is it better to seal in bulk (gallons, etc.) or in single/dual meal quantities? For beans, rice, grains, etc., I usually use about 1/2 to 1 cup per meal and it makes enough for leftovers.

4) Is there a guide for the size O2 absorbers to use for different sized bags?

Thanks in advance

Vacuum sealer won't do it. You need to use a flat iron, like the one your wife uses for straightening her hair. Or an iron and an ironing board. Also look into the thickness of the bags I believe I'm using 10 mil, if they're too thin after you heat shrink the bag the food will pierce the bag

If you have a chamber vac you can vac seal Mylar. If you have a food saver, you can also cut a strip of plastic food saver bag and place it in the corner of the bag and vac seal it. Then seal it below where you put the strip. Problem is Mylar develops small pin holes fairly easy from sharp contents. what I do now is plastic seal my food with an O2 absorber then throw it in a Mylar bag. You can heat seal the Mylar zipper bags

I use the heat seal bags. I heat seal about 75% of the bag. Insert a hose from a small shop vac and suck out the air. Then drop in a Oxygen Absorber and finish sealing the bag.

I've been looking at mylar bags and a couple of questions came up. Sorry if this is repeating others questions or if they are too simple. I did search here for the info but the prepper threads a pretty long.

1) There appear to be 2 types of bags, zipper lock and heat seal. I'm assuming the zipper lock bags don't seal as well as the other but I'd like to have someone confirm this.

2) Can I use my vacuum sealer to seal the heat sealed bags? It would be great if I could.

3) Is it better to seal in bulk (gallons, etc.) or in single/dual meal quantities? For beans, rice, grains, etc., I usually use about 1/2 to 1 cup per meal and it makes enough for leftovers.

Thanks in advance
1) Zipper lock bags typically provide a convenient resealable option but may not offer the same level of air-tightness as heat-seal bags. Heat-seal bags use a sealing mechanism that ensures a more secure closure, minimizing the risk of air and moisture infiltration.

2) Yes, you can use a vacuum sealer to seal heat-sealed Mylar bags. This additional step can provide extra assurance of air-tightness and prolong the shelf life of your stored goods.

3) It depends on your specific storage needs and usage patterns. Sealing in bulk quantities can be efficient for long-term storage of staple items, while smaller portions may offer more flexibility for meal preparation and portion control.

4) Various resources and guides are available online to help determine the appropriate size of oxygen absorbers for different-sized bags.

Thanks in advance
  1. Zipper lock bags generally provide convenience for quick access but may not offer as tight a seal as heat-sealed bags.
  2. Yes, you can use a vacuum sealer to seal heat-sealed bags, ensuring an extra layer of protection for your stored goods.
  3. It depends on your usage and storage needs. Sealing in bulk can save time and effort, but consider portioning for convenient meal sizes and to minimize exposure to air when accessing stored items.
  4. There are various guides available online that recommend the appropriate size of O2 absorbers based on the volume and type of food being stored. It's essential to match the absorber size to the bag size for effective preservation.

This is what I have been doing lately. Food gets placed into food grade plastic bags with a small O2 absorber and vacuum sealed. I then place them into a mylar ziplock bag that is also vacuum sealed and zipped closed.

Here is what 36 raw freeze dried eggs looks like. The package is rock hard and if the Mylar leaks I will know as air will enter. What is nice is that I can just repack the plastic sealed bags into new mylar. I was getting pin holes in mylar and started to not trust my food preps.

Attachments

• IMG_8352.jpeg
    IMG_8352.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom