• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fun spray cleaners?

I'm waiting for some Old Guy to say they use used chicken fryer grease and piss as CLP ... Oh... I guess I'm an Old Guy. Well there, I've said it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I let one of my guns get really bad where I need a strong cleaner I use carburetor cleaner from Walmart works great three bucks a can can't beat it. Also for the less tough jobs Walmart brake cleaner is a little less aggressive and it dries real quick and leaves no residue.

I tried brake cleaner and found it to be pretty useless. Went back to gunscrubber. Although mostly nowadays it's MPro7 and a scrub brush. For bores, it's Shooter's Choice and a BoreSnake. Maybe I'm getting old, or finally have learned patience, but it doesn't bother me any more to settle in for a evening of cleaning guns. Watched a couple episodes of Longmire last night while cleaning my .22s.

Rifle = spray/aerosol can
Pistol = drops/bottle
Operator = Froglube
Ruger 10/22 = no cleaning

When you get tired of that 10/22 taking up space in your safe, let me know. I like 10/22s and yours sounds like it's unused. Or shot very little, if you don't find the need to clean it.

I use Mobile1 0W-20 with a dispensing bottle as a lube and protector. I quart should last a long time.
For my bores and general cleaning I use Hoppes with a dispensing bottle so I don't contaminate the batch. I use Shooters Choice if shooting lots of copper. Have had these bottles since 2011 and will have for a couple more years. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner for AR BCG. Keep RemOil in my range bag but don't really use it anymore now that I use Mobile1.

I keep thinking I'll start using motor oil... as soon as I run out of CLP. Maybe by the time I'm 60... [smile]

Don't anyone use Ed's Red anymore? A buddy of mine mixed me up a quart about. . . . 10-15 years ago. I've yet to use it. [rofl]

Are the metal rods really damaging the bore? Should I be using a snake instead? I am noticing some marks on the rod after iv used it 10 or so times.

Are the metal rods really damaging the bore? Should I be using a snake instead? I am noticing some marks on the rod after iv used it 10 or so times.

If you're worried about it, clean the barrel from the chamber end. Can't wear the muzzle that way. (For the 10/22, you need to drill out the back of the receiver to do that, though. There's a jig for that.)

I use various cleaning solvents and lubricants. Gun scrubber I use to douche my pistols when they are silly dirty. I ran ~2400 rounds through my Ruger SR22 and it was Mc. Nasty. Gun scrubber flushed it out pretty nicely.

I use CLP in the spray can to clean/brush ARs and pistols as well as Hoppes #9. Bore cleaning is only with Hoppes. I use a combo of oil/grease (Tw25b) on my pistols and ARs for lubrication.

Are we talking cleaning or lubrication here? Are folks using Ballistol to clean? I use mPro7 for cleaning.

I use a nylon coated rod, especially for 22 caliber. With rifles that must be cleaned from the muzzle end, you can use a muzzle guard to protect the crown if you don't have the nylon coated. Snake is nice but eventually you will need to do a true cleaning with patches and a brush, especially with copper plated 22lr. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom