• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fun spray cleaners?

I used Gun scrubber once. After I used it the trigger was gritty. Took it all apart and there were chunks of sand and dirt in the trigger assembly. Cleaned everything put it back together and no problems. May of been a coincidence, but I have a full can if you want it.

those - not really. gunscrubber = non chlorinated brakleen.

gunslick foaming bore cleaner, however, is excellent stuff.

+2
Ballistol, best CLP and non toxic. Drink it, first aid, gun cleaner, magic oil, etc

Get the biggest can and then add a spray head. Cheap and easier to control.

I use brake cleaner because it is cheap and works. I have NO use for any cleaner that claims to also be a lube; these are two completely different functions. Also these "Super Lube/Cleaners" are too expensive. Brake cleaner for the body/receiver, synthetic motor oil for a lube and an expensive bore cleaner for the bore where you need it.

I use brake cleaner because it is cheap and works. I have NO use for any cleaner that claims to also be a lube; these are two completely different functions. Also these "Super Lube/Cleaners" are too expensive. Brake cleaner for the body/receiver, synthetic motor oil for a lube and an expensive bore cleaner for the bore where you need it.

This depends on what your trying to do. The brake will remove any built up libe/anti rust compound that a CLP will provide.
Often when I want to clean especially small parts I use warm water and dish soap. To bring back memories I will use kerosene or gas.

brake cleaner is toxic and carcinogenic, requiring high degree of ventilation to be safe. i continue to use it in certain applications like hard to reach areas with heavy fouling that cannot be easily accessed. otherwise no thanks.

ballistol is completely nontoxic and can cause zero damage to polymers, leathers or non-metal materials. as many are aware it's actually great for treating leather. aside from the amazing cleaning performance, I like not worrying about degrading any polymers or ending up with some abscure cancer.

i am beyond impressed by the cleaning behavior of ballistol. as a lubricant i would say it's just meh. however when fouled by carbon it doesn't get gummy like petroleum based or even some synthetic lubes. for something like a glock or 22 rifle, ballistol alone is perfect. but for an autoloading rifle, for example, i use grease like milcomm TW-25 as the ballistol alone just isn't adequate as a lube.

FWIW, Rileys in Hooksett has bottles of liquid ballistol for under $15. this is cheaper than amazon. so i purchase most of mine from them. amazon wants $18 a bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Non-Aerosol-Friendly-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B00ZAPMCHE

Last edited:
i continue to use it in certain applications like hard to reach areas with heavy fouling that cannot be easily accessed.

This is the reason I use gunscrubber. It works well at blasting out the crud in the trigger group/frame of my Ruger MKIII Hunter. Also many times I'm lazy and I'll use it to blast crap off of the slide on my DW 1911. Definitely saves me time from scrubbing but as others have said make sure to LUBE generously afterwards - it leaves the metal bone dry.

I haven't tried Ballistol yet but I may have to pick up a can to try.

This is the reason I use gunscrubber. It works well at blasting out the crud in the trigger group/frame of my Ruger MKIII Hunter. Also many times I'm lazy and I'll use it to blast crap off of the slide on my DW 1911. Definitely saves me time from scrubbing but as others have said make sure to LUBE generously afterwards - it leaves the metal bone dry.

right, that's how both products are intended to be used, sort of like canned air, to blow the crud out. i've used gun scrubber but do a good cleaning after i get all the loose bits blown out. but you have to use it thoroughly and remove all grit or it will adhere to something else, say a trigger group.

Brake cleaner is good to get gunk and goo off.

Best cleaner out there is G96.

Why?

It smells like bubblegum. No lie. It also doesn't solidify down to something like -45 Kelvin. Canadian Military used it for that very reason. Works just like any other CLP. Cleans and lubes well.

OP - that grit was IN YOUR GUN. Brake cleaner just distributed it to your trigger group.

I'm fairly new to firearms but I'm not a huge fan of spray cans. It's hard to control the application, it gets all over everything else and you end up breathing it in. The only spray can I have is Nitro Solvent that I got for free and I just spray it on a boresnake when I want to do a quick cleaning in the garage. Normally I use drip bottles with patches / Q-tips and I dissassemble, clean with cleaner, wipe it dry, lube with gun oil.

What handgun? What rifle?

I use ballistol or motor oil to lube.

Semi-auto pistols are usually just a drop on the rails and maybe oil then wipe the barrel.

If I let one of my guns get really bad where I need a strong cleaner I use carburetor cleaner from Walmart works great three bucks a can can't beat it. Also for the less tough jobs Walmart brake cleaner is a little less aggressive and it dries real quick and leaves no residue.

For those of you who use synthetic motor oil, what viscosity do you use?
I use Mobile1 0W-20 with a dispensing bottle as a lube and protector. I quart should last a long time.
For my bores and general cleaning I use Hoppes with a dispensing bottle so I don't contaminate the batch. I use Shooters Choice if shooting lots of copper. Have had these bottles since 2011 and will have for a couple more years. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner for AR BCG. Keep RemOil in my range bag but don't really use it anymore now that I use Mobile1.

Back
Top Bottom