• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA

I was there this afternoon and it was pretty busy. I was looking at a used S&W 3953, or would have if I'd remembered to call ahead and ask them to hold it. As it was, someone came in earlier and bought it. Oh well, my stupidity.

The sales staff was taking plenty of time with each customer, which might slow things down, but I think is the right way to do business.

I think they were too busy to answer the phone and guys were constantly on the phone calling in NICS checks. They really should send a thank you card to the White House. ;)

I'm just curious as I'm window shopping waiting for my LTC application to process. Does this store tend to be too busy for someone making their first firearm purchase. I'd go to another shop (and pay more for the gun) if I'm going to feel like I am inconveniencing the staff with my newbie questions. I'd be looking for help getting set up with most of what I would need (i.e. the gun, ammo, and cleaning supplies; and possibly targets, eyes and ears). Sounds like they have been extremely busy, especially as of late.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just curious as I'm window shopping waiting for my LTC application to process. Does this store tend to be too busy for someone making their first firearm purchase. I'd go to another shop (and pay more for the gun) if I'm going to feel like I am inconveniencing the staff with my newbie questions. I'd be looking for help getting set up with most of what I would need (i.e. the gun, ammo, and cleaning supplies; and possibly targets, eyes and ears). Sounds like they have been extremely busy, especially as of late.

- - - Updated - - -

There's not much that can't be answered here or on the inter web. Carl and most of his staff are very good. I would recommend calling Carl and asking him when his slowest days are if you don't want to be in the busy crowd. You can window shop anywhere then see who's got the best deal.
For accessories you can find those anywhere.

When I was going to FSG wed around 2pm always seemed to be slow.
Forget Saturday's.

- - - Updated - - -

It's likely you could find your answers here at NES. If not, ask. If you're looking to fondle firearms you likely won't at FS. They always ask to see an LTC.

lately it's been a bit busy no matter what time I go in. usually a few minutes after opening on a week day is my target time to get face time with a salesman or make a quick purchase but not no more. I overheard one counter guy say to a customer last week they were selling smaller size handguns like nuts after that last episode in california and the run was still going strong.

lately it's been a bit busy no matter what time I go in. usually a few minutes after opening on a week day is my target time to get face time with a salesman or make a quick purchase but not no more. I overheard one counter guy say to a customer last week they were selling smaller size handguns like nuts after that last episode in california and the run was still going strong.

I go there all the time as I live close and it's been a madhouse. Still haven't been able to pickup a rifle I had delivered months ago. Lines too long when I get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being in Saugus, I think you should try Northeast Arms on Route 1 in Peabody by The Cabaret. The guys in there are extremely helpful and eager to answer questions and give information. They won't try to sell you the most expensive stuff either, both Steve and the other guy whose name I forget have showed me the best parts as well as the budget parts that work great and they'll tell you what the customer feedback is on products. I'm on the South Shore and I make the trip up there for rifles and gunsmithing.

the only problem I have with FS is their web page says call for pricing all over it..every time I call I get no answer..except a few days ago someone named Jeff answered and he was abrupt an rude...I understand they are busy but either hire a dedicated phone person or stop encouraging people to call for prices

the only problem I have with FS is their web page says call for pricing all over it..every time I call I get no answer..except a few days ago someone named Jeff answered and he was abrupt an rude...I understand they are busy but either hire a dedicated phone person or stop encouraging people to call for prices
lol, yeah..last week they call me regarding a gun I was looking for and asked me to call back. yeah, right...finally not busy 10 minutes before closing. I had been calling back since 1:30 that afternoon.

It's busy, because it's busy. The last time I was there, they had 7 counter guys, each one was working with a customer. They had one person at the cash register for non firearms sales. The physical size of the store makes it crowded, not busy.

From what I saw, the sales staff takes time to answer questions, address concerns, and make sure that the buyer knows about the gun he's buying. I've never seen them rush anyone, even the friend I went there with last year on a Saturday. He's not a new gun owner, he just asks a million questions about everything. They answered them all.

I will say that if you are going to call, call at 9:01. If it's real busy, the phones are tied up with NICS calls and they don't answer any incoming calls.

It's always "busy" because the place is tiny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I go there all the time as I live close and it's been a madhouse. Still haven't been able to pickup a rifle I had delivered months ago. Lines too long when I get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is usually fixed by calling carl and setting up a pick up time. do the online form carl has and you should be out in no time. My friend called about a 308 AR they had. filled out the form got there at 1pm as worked out by carl. called me 15min later thanking me for the tip FS had the rifle he wanted. If you know what you want its not hard to walk in and out if you set it up right. Carl has even stayed late for me.

this is usually fixed by calling carl and setting up a pick up time. do the online form carl has and you should be out in no time. My friend called about a 308 AR they had. filled out the form got there at 1pm as worked out by carl. called me 15min later thanking me for the tip FS had the rifle he wanted. If you know what you want its not hard to walk in and out if you set it up right. Carl has even stayed late for me.

Cool thanks for the tip!

I put up my mosin for cosignment at Four Seasons for $200. I am wondering if it was a good idea since it is not exactly a browsing type of store. It has a lot of traffic each time I go there but since a lot of people are phone call then goto store i don't know if it will be noticed.

I put up my mosin for cosignment at Four Seasons for $200. I am wondering if it was a good idea since it is not exactly a browsing type of store. It has a lot of traffic each time I go there but since a lot of people are phone call then goto store i don't know if it will be noticed.
no, no...don't worry....I put a couple of things up and one sold before I got home. they have a huge customer base and put used stuff on their web page, updated usually nightly. I browse it on a regular basis and have bought several things that way. last consignment gun I purchased carl looked on the tag and said it was on the shelf for less than 24 hours.

I think a lot of people check the used website so once it's up on there, it'll probably sell.

It's busy, because it's busy.
Yup. d(guns sold)/dt is higher than at a lot of high square foot shops.

I think a lot of people check the used website so once it's up on there, it'll probably sell.
Carl tells me people come in all the time looking for specific guns on the website used list. Also, Carl will do a "no obligation hold" or a gun on the used list, assuming you can get someone on the phone, of course.

The used gun list is database driven, and Carl adds used guns as they are taken in, and they are removed at the register at time of sale.

Just check to make sure the gun you put on consignment is listed on the website.

Last edited:

They usually put the milsurps and other older rifles on the racks that are next to the counter and the ammo shelves where you can pick them up and look at them without waiting for a salesperson. I go in there about twice a month and browse the SKS's, Mausers and Mosins on when I find them on those racks.

It's busy because the prices are the best you can find.... period. (and as long as it stays busy they will be able to 1. Buy Direct and 2. buy in bulk which will keep the prices low). I love the place and have bought several guns there but I'm not going to say it is always an enjoyable experience with the crowds and the lines.

Having said that, Carl is a great guy who is very accommodating and will stand by whatever he sells 100%. You have any problem ask to speak to Carl. I have also had them answer the phone quote me a price and agree to hold something for me for 24 hours without have any special status other than being a voice on the phone.

Last edited:
This. I've bought 5-6 used guns after seeing them listed on the used page. If I'm interested, I call first thing in the morning and ask for a hold. That doesn't commit me to buying, but at least gives me a chance to get up there and see if I'm interested. Collector's does the same thing.

Of course I DIDN"T do that for a S&W 3953 about a month ago and by the time I got there, it was long gone. The guy in front of me was looking for it too. If it's something you are seriously interested in, don't hesitate.

I don't know why more stored don't list their used inventory on line. I think it brings in foot traffic and even if the customer doesn't buy that gun, he or she might be something else.

I've been keeping my eye on the used site when I saw that mosin listed. Did you sell it? Do you mind me asking how much you got for it after consignment (feel free to PM). Trying to unload my mosins for a downpayment on a house at the moment..

I've been keeping my eye on the used site when I saw that mosin listed. Did you sell it? Do you mind me asking how much you got for it after consignment (feel free to PM). Trying to unload my mosins for a downpayment on a house at the moment..

Four Season's cosignment fee is 18% and considering it was up for only about 2 weeks before selling, it isn't too bad because you don't have to deal with a lot of the paperwork yourself.

I don't know why more stored don't list their used inventory on line.
Most shops don't have their own computer geek to help them make things work efficiently.

The typical way for a shop to post inventory is via a web page editor or package (such as Wordpress, Joomla, etc.). It's not practical for a shop to continuously edit a web page to add new inventory, and even less practical to remove a gun at point of sale. I fact, prior to the current system, Four Seasons had a notice "it is not practical to continuously update our inventory".

Four Seasons had someone write a database driven system that makes it very easy to add inventory, and allows any clerk to remove a used gun for the inventory at the point of sale.

Back
Top Bottom