Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

Agreed - if you do have one and want to get rid of it - DON'T interact with the police to do it. Toss that shit over a bridge somewhere. Only interact with police if you want your dog shot and your baby flash banged.

or your babe got shot and your dog got flash banged. never count out cops' incompetent.

If they can do it with just an accessory, confiscation without compensation, they can do it with a firearm or anything else. Just the fact that they are flexing their muscle and showing you how they will do it, this is a primer for more B.S..

that really tickles me, you are 100% correct, the laws says that green card enables you to possess one without problems. This what this shit is coming to, Mora is not even issuing edicts, she just spreads a f***ing rumor and see people run for cover.

This is exactly what I thought. The law says you cannot use a bump stock as justification for a green card, but does not say that you cannot possess a bump stock with a green card.

No, no. They set up tiny remote video cameras at every gun range in the state, and just wait for someone with a bumpstock to incriminate him/herself.
Pretty sure with the world of software these days the .gov can "collect" 90% of all the bump stock purchases in MA by demanding the records of the FFLs. If the "records" are not simply restricted to the FFL book but can actually include all transaction records.

Just recieved my "letter". Now i need to think about a response. I might bring it to my local rep and ask if i should cut my fingers off and turn those in.

Pretty sure with the world of software these days the .gov can "collect" 90% of all the bump stock purchases in MA by demanding the records of the FFLs. If the "records" are not simply restricted to the FFL book but can actually include all transaction records.
Bump stocks are unregulated and FFLs had nothing to do with the purchases. They are chunks of plastic with metal springs both federally and under state law until recently. The only place records might exist is at the manufacture when they did direct consumer sales. One can hope the manufacture tells the AG and anyone else who asks to pound sand when asked for the records.

Even looking at actual sales of guns, things are not as easy as you may think. The ATF/FBI can clearly cause a forward trace (manufacturer -> distributor -> dealer -> customer) on any gun by serial number. The terms of your FFL is that the feds can look at your books pretty much anytime. The state can look in their database. The terms of your state dealers license are that the licensing authority (chief of police) can look at your transaction data once per year.

The state license is an interesting case because they have access to those transactions subject to your state license. That means the sale of a firearm, rifle or shotgun to a resident of the state of MA. If you have a gunsmiths license then they would have access to that book also. They have no access under the terms of the state dealers license to other transactions such as records pertaining to magazine sales, receiver/lower sales, etc as NONE of these are regulated by the state license.

They can get a warrant for access to more records, but in theory that requires specific knowledge and is not available for a fishing expedition. I say in theory because of the generally overriding "but guns" legal principal in MA.

So as to determining who has or does not have a bump stock? Good luck.

No, no. They set up tiny remote video cameras at every gun range in the state, and just wait for someone with a bumpstock to incriminate him/herself.
They won't need to install secret cameras. I'm sure if someone lets rip with a bumpstock at a range with enough people, one of them will be enough of a Fud to take out his phone and send a vid to the authorities.

The bottom line is that you don't need a bump stock to bumpfire a gun. The plastic just makes it easier and marginally more controllable, which is all relative to hitting the side of a barn from 10' away.

Just recieved my "letter". Now i need to think about a response. I might bring it to my local rep and ask if i should cut my fingers off and turn those in.

So if letters have gone out and people are now having property confiscated without compensation - there should be ground for an emergency injunction at this point and the subsequent lawsuits... So I'm waiting to hear/see movement on that......

We all just got ours in todays mail, I don’t have any but I don’t like the ban on principle. However the letter is worded in such away that it “seems” to only affect FID,LTC & Machine gun license holders. So if you don’t have any firearms or license it reads like you can process a bump stock.

Quote:
There are no exceptions to this prohibition for licensed firearm owners: an FID card, License to Carry, or even a license to possess a machine gun will not authorize possession....

So if I had a 10 year old daughter that is not a licensed firearm owner, she is an exception and can have one of the these plastic toys?

Last edited:
I don't own one either but this is bullshit. They take the stocks by force today and we let them you can bet your ass they'll be coming for the actual firearms tomorrow.
This can not be allowed to happen. I hope GOAL and Comm2A gat on this. Absent action from them we are screwed.

Does a bump fire stock by any chance fit onto an Airsoft...?

I'm sure it could. Lots of airsoft rifles are near exact replica's externally and even share a lot of accessories with real firearms. Is there some sort of loophole?

I guess the question would be why would an airsoft rifle have one when they can shoot in FA?

I realize this may be controversial, but if anyone HAS turned these in to the police, would you mind sending me a message? I have a few questions and I think we could all benefit from understanding how the police handle this. I would absolutely keep your info confidential.

No, I don't own a bump stock and can't be my own test subject.

I realize this may be controversial, but if anyone HAS turned these in to the police, would you mind sending me a message? I have a few questions and I think we could all benefit from understanding how the police handle this. I would absolutely keep your info confidential.

No, I don't own a bump stock and can't be my own test subject.

I can make some more tonight if you want to turn them in and see what happens.

So if letters have gone out and people are now having property confiscated without compensation - there should be ground for an emergency injunction at this point and the subsequent lawsuits... So I'm waiting to hear/see movement on that......

Is it still CONFISCATION if people are turning them in VOLUNTARILY ??

I dont own one, but if I did, I wouldnt turn it in, because now youll be on a list of people who own either an AK, or an AR, or whatever semi auto it fit on. Why else would you own one ??
Unless you get a letter from THEM, with proof that you have one, well you know what Im getting at.......

This is the letter i received this morning.

one more thing I just picked up, the added language says can not sell or offer for sale. The last paragraph of the letter says "transfer or sale" ... WTF??? It's bad enough that law says this, now they adding shit on top of it without any process at all.

so is mere "transfer" not currently legal? as oppose to outright "sale"?

I don't own one either but this is bullshit. They take the stocks by force today and we let them you can bet your ass they'll be coming for the actual firearms tomorrow.

This law is stupid but they're not taking anything by force, lmao. There are no black vans coming around to "seize the bump stocks" etc... This is not much different than
when the law changed in CT for magazines and such and thousands of people pretty much said "no, f*** off" and didn't register their shit. Nothing happened. The same thing will pretty much happen here with the few dozen people that own bump stocks in MA. Most of them will tell the state to f*** off and either get them out of MA or just not do anything.

Now, in legal terms... Is there a potential "takings" issue with this shitty bump stock ban? (eg, given that the law seems to insinuate that you have to turn them in) I think so. The state is probably going to argue "well, people could have sold them out of state" etc. Someone could counter with the fact that this places an undue burden on the person that possesses the device, etc. This is why most .gov agencies that ban shit will often grandfather it, etc, because it avoids the takings issue entirely on more than one front.

Good luck finding a plaintiff though, unless you want to be that guy... I think part of the problem is though the cost of conducting the lawsuit would probably vastly outstrip the $$$ that would get paid out to people with the stocks that were dumb enough to turn them into the state.

This isn't like a scenario where a state has a registry with thousands of bump stock owners, and they're like " Your thing is illegal, and we're coming to take your shit, and not compensate you for its monetary value."

It would be funny to punch them in the face though and make them put up or shut up.... EG: force a stay until the law is amended such that compensation is
offered for the device... that would require the state to appropriate funds, which they are loathe to do... although they already wasted like what, 60 grand to tell everyone
the couple dozen or so bump stocks in MA are illegal?

-Mike

This law is stupid but they're not taking anything by force, lmao. There are no black vans coming around to "seize the bump stocks" etc... This is not much different than
when the law changed in CT for magazines and such and thousands of people pretty much said "no, f*** off" and didn't register their shit. Nothing happened. The same thing will pretty much happen here with the few dozen people that own bump stocks in MA. Most of them will tell the state to f*** off and either get them out of MA or just not do anything.

Now, in legal terms... Is there a potential "takings" issue with this shitty bump stock ban? (eg, given that the law seems to insinuate that you have to turn them in) I think so. The state is probably going to argue "well, people could have sold them out of state" etc. Someone could counter with the fact that this places an undue burden on the person that possesses the device, etc. This is why most .gov agencies that ban shit will often grandfather it, etc, because it avoids the takings issue entirely on more than one front.

Good luck finding a plaintiff though, unless you want to be that guy... I think part of the problem is though the cost of conducting the lawsuit would probably vastly outstrip the $$$ that would get paid out to people with the stocks that were dumb enough to turn them into the state.

This isn't like a scenario where a state has a registry with thousands of bump stock owners, and they're like " Your thing is illegal, and we're coming to take your shit, and not compensate you for its monetary value."

It would be funny to punch them in the face though and make them put up or shut up.... EG: force a stay until the law is amended such that compensation is
offered for the device... that would require the state to appropriate funds, which they are loathe to do... although they already wasted like what, 60 grand to tell everyone
the couple dozen or so bump stocks in MA are illegal?

-Mike

The letter specifically states that "the law does not allow for transfer or sale of these prohibited items". Therefore, there is no legal way to be reimbursed for your now illegal property which by definition is then a taking under the law.

Back
Top Bottom