• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
GOAL on MA EOPSS letter “Notice of Legislation Prohibiting Bump Stocks and Trigger Cranks” that will be sent to MA gun owners.
Massachusetts Demands Bump Stock Surrender - GOAL News
GOAL has obtained a letter regarding bump stocks from the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety, that will be mailed to all licensed MA gun owners and it is a doozy.

The letter, titled “Notice of Legislation Prohibiting Bump Stocks and Trigger Cranks” notifies addressees that the law directs EOPSS to notify gun owners about the change in law, specifically to section 18 to 21 of Chapter 110 and that the change, as of 2/1/18 makes it illegal to possess “so-called bump stocks and trigger cranks”.
...“if you currently possess a bump stock or trigger crank within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you should contact your local police department or the Massachusetts State Police and arrange an appointment to transfer custody of the prohibited item to the police for destruction.”

I thought if one already had a machine gun license one could continue to possess any bump stocks or trigger cranks they already had. Am I wrong on that?

Even if correct, it's still an illegal taking for those w/o an MGL.

1) Letter sent to every licensed gun owner in the state (how much is that going to cost tax payers?)

2) No option or mention to simply remove it from the state.

I want to know if anyone in NES bought the bump stocks in October after Las Vegas when some NES entrepreneurs decided to try and sell them in the classifieds and Armslist for $400-600 at a hefty little mark up..
Now you're s.o.l.

GOAL ALERT

Massachusetts Demands Bump Stock Surrender

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Issues Letter To LTC/FID Holders Regarding Bump Stocks and Trigger Cranks – You Need To Read This.

EOPSS Letter Calls For Forced Surrender.

1/16/18

GOAL has obtained a letter regarding bump stocks from the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety, that will be mailed to all licensed MA gun owners and it is a doozy.

The letter, titled “Notice of Legislation Prohibiting Bump Stocks and Trigger Cranks” notifies addressees that the law directs EOPSS to notify gun owners about the change in law, specifically to section 18 to 21 of Chapter 110 and that the change, as of 2/1/18 makes it illegal to possess “so-called bump stocks and trigger cranks”.

The letter then defines a bump stock as follows.

“any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of such weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.”

The letter also defines a trigger crank as follows.

“any device to be attached to a weapon that repeatedly activates the trigger of the weapon through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion; proved, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any weapon initially designed or manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever.”

The letter continues to notify licensed gun owners that the new law prohibited the purchase, sale, or offering for sale of a trigger crank.

Most egregious of all, the letter also notes that owners of bump stocks and trigger cranks have only one legal path to follow, turning the device in to the police.

The letter notes.

“if you currently possess a bump stock or trigger crank within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you should contact your local police department or the Massachusetts State Police and arrange an appointment to transfer custody of the prohibited item to the police for destruction.”

Some things to note from the letter.

· The letter notes that the devices are not legal to possess in MA, even in the home.

· The letter notes that the devices cannot be legally possessed in MA with a machine gun license.

· The letter contains a veiled threat stating, “Retention of such a prohibited item beyond the ninety day grace period will expose the owner to criminal prosecution.

· There is no mention as to how an individual who chooses to comply with this law will be able to show proof that they did.

· There is no mention about what the police will do with these devices upon receiving them.

At this time GOAL is weighing options as to what is the best course of action going forward. In our opinion this is an illegal and unconstitutional taking of property without compensation by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

If you have questions about this letter, please contact the MA Executive Office of Public Safety & Security at (617) 727-7775

Here we go...

This would set some fairly significant precedent, no? Forced taking of property without compensation.
In New Jersey bump stock owners have 90 days to surrender them as of 1/15.
N.J. bans gun device used in Las Vegas shooting after Christie signs bill
Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican set to leave office Tuesday, signed a Democratic-sponsored bill Monday outlawing the devices, which can be affixed to semiautomatic riffles to allow them to fire bullets, mimicking automatic weapons.
Anyone who owns a bump stock or "trigger crank" now has 90 days -- until April 15 -- to surrender the accessories to law enforcement authorities. Retailers who sell them have 30 days.

Sale or possession of a bump stock is now a third-degree crime that carries a sentence of three-to-five years in prison, a fine of up to $15,000, or both.

1) Letter sent to every licensed gun owner in the state (how much is that going to cost tax payers?)
You can't put a price on safety.
2) No option or mention to simply remove it from the state.
What if you have already privately sold this accessory out of state? Am I correct in assuming there would not be a record of that since it is only an accessory?

More than ever this image is spot on.
guns21.jpg

Does this mean there's going to be a flood of these in the classified section now??? :D
I guess I am curious as to how they know who has bump stocks and trigger cranks, since they are accessories, and how they would know whether or not they have been sold out of state.

· There is no mention about what the police will do with these devices upon receiving them.

Since police are exempt, they'll probably pass a few of these non sn'd things around the department after they get them all together for a photo-op for Maura. Seriously, if you own one of these things, destroy it and toss the pieces, *DO NOT* pass it in to the police.

The EOPPS letter might as well have included a stipulation that everyone also use baby wipes after taking a shit. How do they go about proving something where no records exist? Everyone who has one could’ve theoretically sold theirs to a stranger in a parking lot with no recollection.

GOAL should’ve included another option in their email blast: keep your bump fire stock out of state and still be legal.

I thought if one already had a machine gun license one could continue to possess any bump stocks or trigger cranks they already had. Am I wrong on that?

that was initial understanding, but now GOAL says that MG lic won't be enough to be able to keep it.

I'll watch the clock on 1/31/18 as midnight strikes, all bumpstocks will turn evil and run away to kill shildren.

I guess I am curious as to how they know who has bump stocks and trigger cranks, since they are accessories, and how they would know whether or not they have been sold out of state.

They don't know who has one or not. They are expecting us as good little sheep to comply and follow their unconstitutional demand.

Don't put it past the current AG to send out information demands to all the places that sell bump stocks inside the state, and across the rest of the country demanding sales records for items shipped into MA since the items started selling. Also don't put it past them to make the demands in such a way that those stores/vendors will be pressured into providing the information in order to avoid legal actions (even if illegal).

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Just waiting to have the 'spare' funds available to order/purchase one.

Don't put it past the current AG to send out information demands to all the places that sell bump stocks inside the state, and across the rest of the country demanding sales records for items shipped into MA since the items started selling. Also don't put it past them to make the demands in such a way that those stores/vendors will be pressured into providing the information in order to avoid legal actions (even if illegal).

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Just waiting to have the 'spare' funds available to order/purchase one.

Had the same thought myself even if it resulted in identifying only 10% of sales to MA residents.

Back
Top Bottom