• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

A reading of the law would seem to indicate that yes, in fact, you can simply remove the offending item(s) from the state and thus no longer be in violation of the law.

The problem is that apparently the people at the EOPSS didn't read the law, or have overactive imaginations. The letter they sent to every FID, LTC, and MG license holder in the state implies that turning them in to police for destruction is the only avenue for legally disposing of evil bump stocks and trigger cranks.

"Because the law does not allow for transfer or sale of these prohibited items, if you currently possess a bump stock or trigger crank within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you should contact your local police department or the Massachusetts State Police to get details about how to transfer custody of the prohibited item to the police for destruction."

Note the distinct absence of any mention of other options, such as bringing them out of state.

Clearly intentional, by their way of thinking, moving it out of state doesn't remedy the problem that these devices shouldn't
be in anyone's hands for any reason, regardless of what state they live in.

Someone should mail one to Linsky on 1/31.
23mjz0.jpg

A reading of the law would seem to indicate that yes, in fact, you can simply remove the offending item(s) from the state and thus no longer be in violation of the law.

The problem is that apparently the people at the EOPSS didn't read the law, or have overactive imaginations. The letter they sent to every FID, LTC, and MG license holder in the state implies that turning them in to police for destruction is the only avenue for legally disposing of evil bump stocks and trigger cranks.

"Because the law does not allow for transfer or sale of these prohibited items, if you currently possess a bump stock or trigger crank within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you should contact your local police department or the Massachusetts State Police to get details about how to transfer custody of the prohibited item to the police for destruction."

Note the distinct absence of any mention of other options, such as bringing them out of state.

Clearly intentional, by their way of thinking, moving it out of state doesn't remedy the problem that these devices shouldn't
be in anyone's hands for any reason, regardless of what state they live in.

No accident in the way it was worded. LoginName is correct, it was 150% intentional on EOPS part.

This is purely a theoretical discussion, I'm not suggesting anyone do this.
If someone living in another state sends a bump stock to someone in MA, someone they don't like, and then drops a dime on them, has the person who sent the stock done anything illegal? If this happened with a trigger crank, most non gun owners wouldn't even recognize it as a prohibited item.

Ya, I've got to much time on my hands. And I start thinking in odd directions. But it just thought.

If someone living in another state sends a bump stock to someone in MA, someone they don't like, and then drops a dime on them, has the person who sent the stock done anything illegal? If this happened with a trigger crank, most non gun owners wouldn't even recognize it as a prohibited item.

Ya, I've got to much time on my hands. And I start thinking in odd directions. But it just thought.

I can totally see someone planting that crap in a neighbor's yard, then swatting the person.

I want an electronic trigger... with a rheostat.

From 1/28:
Police Ask Bump Stock Owners To Surrender Devices Before Ban
Massachusetts was the first state to ban bump stocks since the October mass shooting in Las Vegas in which the shooter used the device to kill 58 people and injured hundreds more.

State Police says the first part of the law, which the outlawed the sale or transfer of ownership of the devices, went into effect when the law was signed.

Authorities say owners of bump stock or trigger cranks are should surrender them to police by Thursday.
cvGNbNI-0i2z8HzSAx07BhLo63_fZG9iY_cvuce3EW3jTX4hpm8jfIHC_mxEckNybfBDfHkWdyhAIxuCAQ7UOZ3W3upGgWq_OO2whMl93cFlhIWV5yM5-QDYW8yjO1nQuh9zIAlYXVJ-7swJl_o9uwpAGYFOv4sHNrPF0ys7y8xgaLeaGh6jCuQDlUVk-JHcpTJKcAxgV_kE-JTqAu3nBCKULysC7WWTWtrmzsVwLXjDtZG_t8dFEAqvBTM9ov3qa5gmcuyUi4Ww36UiX2gY5RPJ_0ttd90rA_nBnTtgKzQfLjZGdq18kOCIrBVh32hdLbHwH5Hwi5cSNJXUkuQsble9nEeJowgsy1oduYP8jNwSS_8X_WDOkJqXsBoEkrOMA_qUmhJwQPHtndH50VpsuSYrjtXOLGY_5sSE4-rNI8nFu55ambwi_2lgsvsqByV4sH2-wWW968FkTAHQ7-pHiDR60trzaoMpE5fcvIaacMZsCJSnnksKb9WHM2-LXEmO2XsJJjWZSJW8VjGbBB5Qjw4qzOl3Kp5-aOel5XX_eZdVeIn6NCp4UZ2EbsELcCsNR86dGb0WceWmnP9y_pu9yRg1PDOwj5SQ6CJjR8g=w398-h262-no

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/01/28/state-police-bump-stock-surrender-ban/

Make sure you ship it requiring the recipient's signature for "exhibit 1" during the court case. It would be very bad if someone shipped it to their favorite anti-gun politician, don't do that!

Make sure you ship it requiring the recipient's signature for "exhibit 1" during the court case. It would be very bad if someone shipped it to their favorite anti-gun politician, don't do that!
Bad idea. That creates a traceable chain back to the sender, unlike just sending it by mail.

Bad idea. That creates a traceable chain back to the sender, unlike just sending it by mail.
For the past 10 years or so, the PO has been photographing both sides of all mail, in order to trace it back to the PO of origin and potentially who sent it.

Ban on bump stocks, trigger cranks takes effect Thursday
It sounds like the Chicopee police are in full support of enforcement of this unconstitutional law.

From the article:

"This isn't something that we have the resources to go door-to-door to check on people, but if you are caught with it after this law goes into effect, you can be charged and you will lose that bump stock and good chance you'll lose your permit and other weapons," Wilk said.

Notice how he says the reason they won't go door-to-door is lack of resources, and not because it'd be a clear violation of 4th amendment rights. What a POS.

Has anyone put a Freedom of Information Request or in MA a Public Records Request asking each municipality for an itemize list of turned in "banned items"? I'm sure there are more shoe strings than stocks on that list....

probably the same DB that ratted together with Gun Parlor, he had one of 'em bumpstocks on his AK.

It would almost be funny if he didn't and that picture became PC for a search. Karma are you listening?

The ultimate irony was on the 31st i picked up 3 more MGs.i had a stack of the letters i was gunna shoot for a video, i was too busy having a good time to concern myself with this nonsense.
Our politions are unfit to run a McDonald's

Read yesterday that only 4 have been turned in.

Of course Rosenthal has to weigh in...

Only A Few Bump Stocks Turned In To Police Despite Massachusetts Ban

ESSEX (CBS) – Essex Police Chief Peter Silva held up a bump stock that someone turned in this week as the Massachusetts ban on the devices went into effect. “To my knowledge, this is the only one that’s been turned in to date,” he said.

State Police said they received three bump stocks and one trigger crank, as Massachusetts now becomes the first state in the country to make the devices illegal.

Snip.............

Chief Silva says the one man who surrendered his bump stock in Essex this week explained why most are not likely to let go. “He was a little frustrated because of the fact that he’d paid a little over $250 on this piece here, and there was no redeeming value for him on the other side to recover that money.”

Rosenthal says that should not be an excuse to hold on to an illegal device. “These are devices that are designed to kill a lot of people quickly, and I’m not sure that we ought to be compensating people for giving up these devices that never should have been purchased in the first place,” he said.

Only A Few Bump Stocks Turned In To Police Despite Massachusetts Ban

I got a letter, but I'm not sure what one of these looks like. I was surprised there was no picture of one with the letter, to show what I might be looking for if I had one or a friend had one. Normally, even a recall of a childs toy shows a picture of what it may look like.

Back
Top Bottom