For the love of all that's good and decent, PLEASE lock your doors when you're home.

Bill Nance

Banned
I got this link from Jay G's blog:

MIDDLEBORO, Mass. -- A burglar was caught on a home security camera as he entered a house in Middleboro.

The video shows the suspect knocking and then walking through the unlocked side door. It happened around 3:30 Wednesday afternoon when the homeowner was out.

link

Just thought I'd mention:

Last spring we had a robbery by a two-bit, previously non-violent punk that turned deadly. I'm familiar enough with the case to know that this was a chance affair. This guy didn't plan on confronting anyone. He got inside through an UNLOCKED SIDE DOOR and was surprised when he stumbled upon the homeowner. He panicked and killed him with a nearby blunt instrument, and in further panic went on to kill the other two people in the house.

Not in any way excusing his actions. He's getting life w/o parole and only escaped the death penalty because the case was too weak for it. But ALL THREE of those people would probably be alive today if they had locked their damned door. This was not planned to be a home invasion. It was sloppy security meets really bad luck.

Just a thought.

-Bill

Great reminder! Always do, and am usually open-carrying at home, too. Why not? I always wear my seatbelt in the car, too. Guess I'm just weird like that. [smile]

I got this link from Jay G's blog:

link

Just thought I'd mention:

Last spring we had a robbery by a two-bit, previously non-violent punk that turned deadly. I'm familiar enough with the case to know that this was a chance affair. This guy didn't plan on confronting anyone. He got inside through an UNLOCKED SIDE DOOR and was surprised when he stumbled upon the homeowner. He panicked and killed him with a nearby blunt instrument, and in further panic went on to kill the other two people in the house.

Not in any way excusing his actions. He's getting life w/o parole and only escaped the death penalty because the case was too weak for it. But ALL THREE of those people would probably be alive today if they had locked their damned door. This was not planned to be a home invasion. It was sloppy security meets really bad luck.

Just a thought.

-Bill

He panicked and killed him with a nearby blunt instrument, and in further panic went on to kill the other two people in the house.

Not in any way excusing his actions. He's getting life w/o parole and only escaped the death penalty because the case was too weak for it.

Kills three people and the case is too weak for the death penalty? Why, they weren't cops, lawyers, judges or "government" people? (Not slamming those groups, but NH singles out these groups for an automatic capital crime, but me, Joe average homeowner, is treated differently)

Sadly, people get complacent because they correctly observe that most of the time it does not matter. The cost on that day when it does is not something one can amortize over all those other days when nothing happens.

Kills three people and the case is too weak for the death penalty? Why, they weren't cops, lawyers, judges or "government" people? (Not slamming those groups, but NH singles out these groups for an automatic capital crime, but me, Joe average homeowner, is treated differently)

They only had circumstantial evidence and his post-crime accomplices ( all charged with murder) have refused to drop the dime on him. Dollars and cents. The very poor county I live in would spend $2 million to prosecute a death penalty case and probably not get it. They can get life without for less than 1/4 that cost and it's a sure thing.

ETA:
I've talked with people in the legal community on this and they all agree that's EXTREMELY hard to get a jury to grant a death penalty unless they can be 100% sure. This case didn't even come close. Yes, he almost certainly did it. But when it's death, juries balk on anything less than SURE. -All in all that's probably a good thing. -And if you've never been to Walla Walla State Penn., let me assure you it's not a nice place to spend whatever remains of your miserable life. I'd kill myself rather than do 20 year in that place, much less the 60 that this clown is looking at.

- Welcome to reality.

Last edited:
Bill Nance couldn't be more spot on. I would estimate at least 95-98% of the property crimes I investigate could have been prevented by target hardening as they occur to unsecured targets. While locking ones car are home are by no means fool proof means of protecting your property and safety, it is by far the most effective thing you can do.

Why? Because the vast majority of break ins are crimes of oppurtunity--usually some addict looking to grab some valuables so he can score his next high. The best way to prevent this is to make your target more unattractive than others. It's relative--you want to at least make your home harder to get into than someone else's. While that sucks for your neighbor, oh well, maybe he should be locking his doors. At least he stayed away from your shit.

Now, I'm by no means advocating that it's the ONLY step you should take to protect yourself and your property, but it is by far the easiest and least expensive thing you can do for the most amount of reward, as it alone will stop the vast majority of break-ins. Much of the remaining 2-5% can be prevented by things like proper lighting, security and camera systems, or (the best security measure IMO) a dog (wasn't it something as simple as a flood light that prevented the Mt. Vernon killers from picking one house over the one they eventually went to?) When you finally get down to that sliver of a percent of crimes where someone is bound and determined to harm you and your family, it's then time to break out a HD weapon of choice.

Anyone who doesn't lock their doors the vast majority of the time is a fool, IMO. And while locking you stuff is by no means fool proof, it's the easiest step to take.

Last edited:
Bill Nance couldn't be more spot on. I would estimate at least 95-98% of the property crimes I investigate could have been prevented by target hardening as they occur to unsecured targets. While locking ones car are home are by no means fool proof means of protecting your property and safety, it is by far the most effective thing you can do.

Why? Because the vast majority of break ins are crimes of oppurtunity--usually some addict looking to grab some valuables so he can score his next high. The best way to prevent this is to make your target more unattractive than others. It's relative--you want to at least make your home harder to get into than someone else's. While that sucks for your neighbor, oh well, maybe he should be locking his doors. At least he stayed away from your shit.

Now, I'm by no means advocating that it's the ONLY step you should take to protect yourself and your property, but it is by far the easiest and least expensive thing you can do for the most amount of reward, as it alone will stop the vast majority of break-ins. Much of the remaining 2-5% can be prevented by things like proper lighting, security and camera systems, or (the best security measure IMO) a dog (wasn't it something as simple as a flood light that prevented the Mt. Vernon killers from picking one house over the one they eventually went to?) When you finally get down to that sliver of a percent of crimes where someone is bound and determined to harm you and your family, it's then time to break out a HD weapon of choice.

Anyone who doesn't lock their doors the vast majority of the time is a fool, IMO. And while locking you stuff is by no means fool proof, it's the easiest step to take.

Where's my rep Dammit? The Stockbridge Mass. PD promised me Rep and a 8X10 color glossy picture with circles and arrows on it for that post!

Was just having a back and forth with a friend in Nashua about this last night. An elderly neighbor accidently walked into their house again.

Wait a minute, again?

The reasoning I was presented with was, "what, you have to get through a locked door to get into the building, and we're the ground floor, if someone wanted to come in they'd break the slider."

I ended up sending the link to Mt. Vernon to them, but geez. Talk about head straight up the backside and needing a Chicago Periscope.

I lock my doors even when I'm home and carrying. Having an aware dog as an early warning system is good too. My dog lets me know if anyone is even just walking out on the street. If anyone enters the property he goes apeshit.
Thanks for the posting, I'll be on the lookout for that scumbag in the footage in my travels around town. That goatee shouldn't be hard to miss and I doubt he's smart enough and probably too vain to shave it off.

Considering how many people in the town own and carry guns, this kid is destined to get killed much sooner than later if he continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where in the world is JayG

Jay's lurking . . . . he's still around but with work, doing T&E on new guns, writing about his T&E experiences, running his blog, involved with being an adult volunteer for his son's scout group, etc., etc., etc., etc. he's got precious little time. Watch his blog . . .
http://stuckinmassachusetts.blogspot.com
He's in Sin City at the SHOT show.

- Brad

[sarcasm]I don't need to lock my doors. My house is protected by ADT[/sarcasm]

Would that be the same company where the woman on the commercial runs right past a perfectly good exit door and runs upstairs to be trapped by the bad guy so she could answer the phone from the security company to hear the words "you're safe now"???

Would that be the same company where the woman on the commercial runs right past a perfectly good exit door and runs upstairs to be trapped by the bad guy so she could answer the phone from the security company to hear the words "you're safe now"???

Probably.

I'd rather just Remington re-made the ad showing the intruder taking two rounds of buckshot to the chest from an 870 or 1100.

This wouldn't have happened if the piece of sh** hadn't walked through a door that wasn't HIS into a house that wasn't HIS to steal property that wasn't HIS.To make it sound like the victims had a part in this is asinine. If that woman had been wearing a chastity belt she wouldn't be raped, if the senior citizen hadn't walked into the bank on Social security check cashing day they wouldn't have been killed for $682. Are you kidding me ?WTF ? Criminals commit criminal acts and to blame the victim is the kind of liberal BS that has this country in the shape it is now.

This wouldn't have happened if the piece of sh** hadn't walked through a door that wasn't HIS into a house that wasn't HIS to steal property that wasn't HIS.To make it sound like the victims had a part in this is asinine. If that woman had been wearing a chastity belt she wouldn't be raped, if the senior citizen hadn't walked into the bank on Social security check cashing day they wouldn't have been killed for $682. Are you kidding me ?WTF ? Criminals commit criminal acts and to blame the victim is the kind of liberal BS that has this country in the shape it is now.

So what's your advice? Don't do anything to protect yourself or your shit--just sit around and blame the perp while he's taking your property and peace of mind? I don't think anyone is "blaming" the victims here. But at the end of the day, you bear the responsibility for the safety and security and security of you and your family.

As long as we're talking about "liberal BS", the alternative is do what state says and simply call the police when someone's breaking into your home hoping they'll get ther in time to save. While I disagree with many on this board by contending that the majority of those in my line of work do the job honorably, I could never diagree with the notion that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Last edited:
My advise don't even entertain the thought that the home owner is responsible for a criminals action. Even if their door was open this POS had no right to walk in and he knew it.He had no prior violence because he never stumbled on to a home owner before.yES i blame the perp because thats where the blame lies. Wait for the police ? Thats a joke and like a lot of people on here that I agree with,the majority of cops are bad who ruin the names of the minority that aren't. I only wish the owner had been armed and ended it before the perp gets to get a college education on us and "turn his life around".Any bets that he finds Jesus by the next parole hearing.Locking doors keeps honest folks out but it is not a crime deterent.This a**h*** chose this house for a reason,it looked easy.

While I disagree with many on this board that the majority of those in my line of work do the job honorably, I could never diagree with the notion that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
typo?

Simply put, we are all responsible to be the "first responders" to an emergency situation at our homes if we're there. Not locking a door in this day and age is just full retard. So yeah, in this case, Tim L, the victim has culpability if they left their damn door open.

not the same thing, just TRY to apply some effing logic to your damn comment.

You have an asset, you leave it out in a place in an attempt to allow a potentially honest person to become a thief. Asset gets stolen, you are culpable.

Done.

Back
Top Bottom