For the love of all that's good and decent, PLEASE lock your doors when you're home.

I don't believe in the blaming the victim thing at all, that, to me is liberal ideology (you tempted them to do wrong.)

If a person inclined do bad things they are most likely lazy, stupid and prey on the easiest most convenient victims.

That said, I keep the doors to my house locked.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight if I go out and bed some guys wife he is responsible because he didn't take appropriate precautions in preventing it? As Jose said the perp is responsible but the victim should take appropriate precautions. That doesn't mean I need to run concertina wire, a mine field laser guided automated mini guns etc...

Back to topic.

How many people here leave your doors unlocked when You're at home?

I don't, doors and windows are locked on all levels.

And just to get back to the original story...the lady said they got a camera because she was tired of the MULTIPLE break ins at her home....and she still leaves the doors unlocked.....

In all seriousness, my house is set back and has woods behind it so I keep my doors locked. I don't have kids or unexpected visitors so there is no reason to leave them unlocked.

In all seriousness, my house is set back and has woods behind it so I keep my doors locked. I don't have kids or unexpected visitors so there is no reason to leave them unlocked.
I once saw a sign on the back of an auditorium in Gainesville FL that backed up to a wooded area.

It said (paraphrase, it's been a while):
Sign said:
Danny Rolling's camp site was found in the woods beyond this door, please keep it locked.

Last edited:
Sometimes I'd rather have venison steak, not venison hamburger.

As Jose said the perp is responsible but the victim should take appropriate precautions. That doesn't mean I need to run concertina wire, a mine field, laser guided automated mini guns etc...

Sounds great, but my Insurance company would not agree, and the mine field could negatively impact the deer population. Sometimes I'd rather have venison steak, not venison hamburger.

Update on this old thread:

1. This just came up in class and a student accused me of "blaming the victim." I spent 20 wasted minutes explaining something that the other 10 students in the class already intuitively grasped.

2. I just talked with one of the attorneys involved with this case last weekend.

Sure as Hell, this guy was not in any way interested in violence or confrontation. He was looking for an easy score. When he saw the homeowner actually home and awake, he panicked.

This was NOT a planned home invasion. No violence was planned pr even remotely in preparation. This was a totally non-violent type who panicked under surprise (He didn't think anyone was home) stress, adrenaline and the influence of Meth.

The ONLY reason those three people aren't alive today is because they failed to lock their door. The perp had tried three houses before and they were LOCKED, and he moved on. He took the first unlocked door.

Your failure to take the most obvious and basic of security measures gives you some measure of liability to an otherwise innocuous, unsuccessful attempt to break into your home to steal stuff.

The bad guy is at FAULT. But YOU made the situation possible through either stupidity or sheer bloodymindedness.

If these people had locked their door, he would have moved on to the next house. This we know because he'd already done it. Does that mean they deserved to be killed? Of COURSE NOT!
It simply means that they share some measure of responsibility for a tragedy that was NEEDLESS of they had simply taken basic security precautions.

Failure to act as though you live in the real world gives you some measure of liability. This has long been enshrined into civil law, for instance, in cases where when you knew there was a specific threat, you FAILED TO MITIGATE YOUR DAMAGES. This is a valid defense in civil cases and has been for a very long time.

What the victims in this case (and you notice I don't hesitate to use the word "victim," did was fail to mitigate their danger.

So please folks, lock your doors, especially when you are at home. Having your stuff stolen when you're away sucks, but stuff can be replaced. Your life cannot.

It drives me absolutely nuts when my wife doesn't lock the door behind her and dead bolt it. We have two newborns at home and I can't always be around with my peace maker.

I live on a dead end street in a decent neighborhood. If you drive down my street at night you will know which house is mine. It is the one with lights on all night in front, back, sides, and driveway post lights. As mentioned here many times I would expect my house presents itself as the least attractive target around. At night in Spring or Fall I leave doors open ( while we are still awake) but the screen doors are locked. I also have a small dog who goes nuts if anyone comes on the property, especially to a door. While I carry within my home, the locked screen and/or dog should provide enough warning for my reaction time. When I retire to the bedroom to watch some tv and wifey is still in the family room on her Ipad I close and lock the doors in case I fall asleep. I could go on and on but I feel the responsibility to NOT become a victim is mine. Even when carrying if someone can quietly enter an unlocked door they can get the drop on you. An analogy: While teaching my daughter about driving I always told her to look and look again at lights, intersections, etc.. When your light turns green do not blindly hit the gas and go without checking. The point being if someone runs a light or stop sign and you collide, being legally right doesn't mean you don't have an accident. So, which is more important, being right or being safe?

SNIP: An analogy: While teaching my daughter about driving I always told her to look and look again at lights, intersections, etc.. When your light turns green do not blindly hit the gas and go without checking. The point being if someone runs a light or stop sign and you collide, being legally right doesn't mean you don't have an accident. So, which is more important, being right or being safe?

Good analogy! I am/was the designated Uncle to take the nieces and nephews driving on their learners permit so that my borthers and sisters don't make their kids nervous.

One of the first things that I implore them to do is to lock the doors even when the windows are unrolled before they even pull away from the driveway, street parking spot etc.

It might be that split second when they can drive away from an attempted carjacking or other assault.

Lock your doors!

Good analogy! I am/was the designated Uncle to take the nieces and nephews driving on their learners permit so that my borthers and sisters don't make their kids nervous.

One of the first things that I implore them to do is to lock the doors even when the windows are unrolled before they even pull away from the driveway, street parking spot etc.

It might be that split second when they can drive away from an attempted carjacking or other assault.

Lock your doors!

I totally agree, any edge you can afford yourself could be all the difference you need. No need for paranoia but a definite need for awareness.

I get into numerous arguments with my girlfriend when she arrives home to find me inside with the door not only locked, but dead-bolted. She complains that I am paranoid.

There were actually a bunch of recent overnight thefts from cars in my neighborhood. They pulled on car doors until they find ones that are unlocked.

Being from a high crime area for most of my life has forced me to be more vigilant of my surroundings.

But she is the one afraid to have a gun in the house....

Back
Top Bottom