For once some good news from the State House

Well with the "Amended" Katrina bill that reads

Nothing in this section shall prohibit the confiscation of a firearm, rifle, shotgun, machinegun or ammunition from any person who;

(a) Has been placed under arrest;

(b) Who is the subject of a protection order issued under Chapter 209A;

(c) Has had their Firearm Identification Card or License to Carry revoked or suspended.

There should be no reason other than a power grab to be against it. The above was exactly the reason the MCOPA gave as a reason why they
were against it. It was a weak reason but it was what they claimed prevented them from supporting it.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit the confiscation of a firearm, rifle, shotgun, machinegun or ammunition from any person who;

(a) Has been placed under arrest;

(b) Who is the subject of a protection order issued under Chapter 209A;

(c) Has had their Firearm Identification Card or License to Carry revoked or suspended.

Well, that's rather foolish. All the state needs to do is temporarily suspend everyones LTC when an emergency hits.

/\/\ Why not? All they have to do is deem everyone unsuitable during a time of emergency.

That power is relegated to the issuing authority, not "the state". Yeah, they could do it, but it would be warrantless. And those with FID cards would not be subject to the suitability clause anyways. You'd also have to go around and basically get people to surrender
their licenses, etc.... not going to be viable.

-Mike

Good news, the following bills have been released with a favorable decision and will move up the ladder to the next step towards becoming law. (insert School House Rock song here)
Less like School House Rock, and more like this, if previous politics are any indication:

Still, thanks for what you do. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
S1580 "An act relative to the common defense" is not on the list above. It was a hot topic when the off duty security guard saved the doctor at Mass General. It had great support from the legislaters and yet it's now off the radar. This one seems like a no brainer to try to push through. http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st01pdf/ST01580.PDF

?Que pasa?

I'll have to get back to you on S1580. There was no information released about it, we only know that it was referred to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary.

I don't believe they can arbitrarily revoke or suspend licenses.

Yes they can legally revoke/suspend LTCs for no cause . . . or claim that some crisis makes all holders "unsuitable". By the time that a few people get a court hearing a year or more later, the guns are gone, etc.

Now they can't legally revoke/suspend FIDs for no cause, but that's never fazed them before. I'm sure that MCOPA would come up with a justifiable (to them) way to do this.

Add me to any 'list' of folks who believe the government will just forbid carry/use of any guns during a state of emergency.

They won't admit to total confiscation, but they'll round up any guns they come across, and arrest anyone who doesn't co-operate (adding 'weight' to their confiscation 'for cause'). They'll use a) or c) to do whatever they please using 'emergency powers'.

Even Bill O'Reilly agrees it's the 'right thing to do' (of course, I don't).

Last edited:
Damn, I don't know what we could use for a "Facetious" smilie!!!!

Maybe this one,
getsmiley.php
, or perhaps this one
getsmiley.php

S1580 "An act relative to the common defense" is not on the list above. It was a hot topic when the off duty security guard saved the doctor at Mass General. It had great support from the legislaters and yet it's now off the radar. This one seems like a no brainer to try to push through. http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st01pdf/ST01580.PDF

?Que pasa?

S1580 had a hearing in October but has not been released from committee.

What kind of timing are we talking about here? This week, or the end of the sessions in July/August?

What kind of timing are we talking about here? This week, or the end of the sessions in July/August?

That's what they usually do when they want to bury a bill. My best guess is that MCOPA got to them in the back room.

I don't have high hopes . . . but I do hope that I'm proven wrong.

Back
Top Bottom