Flying with Firearms - Rerouted to NYC

When I flew into Logan with a gun, no one asked for an LTC when I picked it up. Got it from the Delta office, not the carousel, but I just showed them my driver's license iirc.

This suggestion can jam someone up. UPS and FedEx have a company policy that requires you to ship firearms from their "hubs". Part of the law that allows you to ship firearms via a common carrier states that you have to notify the shipper of the firearms. If you go to a UPS Store, or an independent FedEx shipper, they are not supposed to accept firearms (company policy). If you don't tell them what is in the package, then technically you are not following Federal law. Will anything bad come of it? Probably not, but if for some reason the package is damaged in transit, and say a firearms case shows, it will probably lead to an investigation. Another example would be if the label came off/was ripped off, and the shipper had to open the package to try and find if there was another listing inside. They are NOT the government, and state that packages could be opened for inspection, and you have no 4A protection (since it's designed to protect you from .gov intrusion). Just my .02. YMMV.

I thought this too but called and was able to ship from a stripmall FedEx location.
Done this several times.

No offense, but you are mistaken. Please refrain from offering advice on this matter.

Please advise me as to where I'm mistaken? That said, I'll post whatever the f*** I feel like so long as I do so out of a bona fide, though later to be discovered as not so, correct belief. So to repeat, where am I mistaken.

When I flew into Logan with a gun, no one asked for an LTC when I picked it up. Got it from the Delta office, not the carousel, but I just showed them my driver's license iirc.

Bonus points for testing the system by starting off with DL not LTC.
May not always work, but it's a valuable existence proof for the rest of us.

All of this is pretty irrelevant to the example in the original post. Your bags don't go to carousel on layover. They stay with baggage handling until they are placed on the next flight. You may have the option of having the bags retrieved (don't), but of course it's not required.

This exact example has happened to me. I was on a layover that got delayed overnight. I was traveling with my wife, and we both had checked bags. The layover state was not a friendly state with regard to FOPA. We went to a baggage counter because we needed some things from my wife's bag. They brought her bag in to the desk, and I told them I didn't need mine. They gave me a bit of a funny look, but that's the end of it. Next day we got on the flight and picked up the bags at Logan as per usual.

So, the answer to the original question is:
C. Do not pick up the bag. Just wait until your next flight, board it, and pick up your checked bags when you get back.

Bonus points for testing the system by starting off with DL not LTC.
May not always work, but it's a valuable existence proof for the rest of us.

I have checked and retrieved guns at Logan and Bradley more times than I can count. I have never been asked for anything more than "ID". Which was always my DL.

I have also never had law enforcement summoned. I've actually never had anything other than good experiences.

The most hassle I ever had was when I was flying to Seattle to pick up an airplane to bring back to CT. It was Nov 2001. I had a large duffel packed with a rifle and a bunch of other survival gear. I checked that with no problem.

My carry on was a pilots bag with sectional charts from west to east coast, an aviation radio, and 2 aviation GPS units. Further, I had purchased a 1 way ticket that morning for the flight. (needed to watch weather since this was to be a VFR flight back in a single engine airplane. The first customer built Vans RV9).

I was flagged for about 6 extra levels of scrutiny. Eventually they let me on after holding the plane for me.

Last edited:
Why don't you just ship the guns to yourself and pick up at your destination? I mean seriously - if it's that much of a concern, why even take the risk. Your paying for a flight, accommodations, etc for the trip. Shipping the firearms is a drop in the bucket at this point.

Last edited:

Wow. What a smokin' deal.

Nashua (ASH) to Friendly, MD (VKX) (Near DC) is only $4520 round trip, if you go both ways on the same day. Stay a day or so, and the fare jumps to the low, low, price of only $7900.

I'm pretty sure for that amount of money, I can fly First Class, and even spring for a Flight Attendant to fly face down in my lap for the entire flight.

Last edited:
Why don't you just ship the guns to yourself and pick up at your destination? I mean seriously - if it's that much of a concern, why even take the risk. Your paying for a flight, accommodations, etc for the trip. Shipping the firearms is a drop in the bucket at this point.

Because its a 110% waste of money compared to just asking the airline to do their job. The ewr/lga/jfk/papd gun owner arrest diversion phantasm is an overblown one.

Wow. What a smokin' deal.

Nashua (ASH) to Friendly, MD (VKX) (Near DC) is only $4520 round trip, if you go both ways on the same day. Stay a day or so, and the fare jumps to the low, low, price of only $7900.

I'm pretty sure for that amount of money, I can fly First Class, and even spring for a Flight Attendant to fly face down in my lap for the entire flight.

For an overnight stay it would actually be close to breaking even to get a private pilot license, then rent a small plane and fly yourself there and back.

And the SECOND time you make the flight, you'll pay < $1k for the plane rental.

You'd probably still have some cash left over to spend on dancers in $1 increments.

For an overnight stay it would actually be close to breaking even to get a private pilot license, then rent a small plane and fly yourself there and back.

And the SECOND time you make the flight, you'll pay < $1k for the plane rental.

You'd probably still have some cash left over to spend on dancers in $1 increments.

Who wants to watch dancers willing to accept $1 bills?

It's been like 15-20 years since I've been to a strip joint. Did the prices go up?

I haven't been to one in twice that long but you can't get a smile from a waitress for a $5 bill so I don't think a dollar will get more than a drink kicked in your face at a strip club.....

THEY CLOSED THE FOXY LADY! We aren't in Kansas anymore.

I don't know the capitalized per hour cost of these planes, but it seems rather pricey for what you get - a very nice single engine prop plane, not a small jet.

I have flown through New York with a lay over at LaGuardia. On this particular trip, AL to MA through NY, I called ahead to the LE agency at LaGuardia. I told them what I was doing and asked them what they would like me to do "in the event of".

They advised me and I was fine. The officer I spoke to was informative and polite.

I also called TSA and asked the same question. Same thing, the gentleman was informative and polite.

If the lay over is unexpected and you are expected to pick up your bags, immediately as you exit the jet way, speak to the gate attendant and advise them you need TSA to maintain custody of your checked bag.

On another trip, I drove through NY on my way to Ohip for business. Given I was staying on the WV border and there is a fabulous range 5 min from my hotel in WV, I brought several firearms. Before this trip I called the NY State Police and asked them if there was anything in particular they would like. I told them what I was traveling with. They answered one of my questions and then directed me to the "New York Safe Act hotline". There they answered the remainder of my questions.
I drove to Ohio without incident,

In every instance I spoke to people that were respectful to me and answered my questions.
I have been traveling this way for years.

If I am advised not to do something such as the case with NJ. No magazines greater than 10 rounds and NO hollow point.
The official in NJ also advised me to have in my possession copies of the bills of sale for each firearm I was traveling with. (Driving)
Which I then did.

Make the calls.
Be respectful.
Ask relevant questions.
Promote NO ridiculous rumors.
Address the person you are speaking with by their title, Trooper, Officer, Sgt. Ma'am, Sir, you get the idea.
Follow the advice you are given.
Make notes.

In an airport there are as many as three agency's covering that.
State, Local, TSA
Call each of them.
Plan ahead.

Oh, one last piece of advice ..
If you act like a moron, you will be treated like one.

I don't know the capitalized per hour cost of these planes, but it seems rather pricey for what you get - a very nice single engine prop plane, not a small jet.

If you fly ~ 100 hours a year, your cost of ownership should be around $200/hour. Or you can rent a plane in the neighborhood of $100/hour. Economics of Owning a Small Plane (I don't think that $100/hour includes fuel, but someone more up to date can comment)

A pilots license (the training I mean) costs around $10k.

A flight from here to the DC area is around 3 hours each way.

That's enough to estimate that the $5k-$10k chartered flight gives you bragging rights, but it doesn't make any economic sense for anyone with a real world need to spontaneously fly off to some place.

Basically, if you can afford a sports car for "fun" then you probably can afford to buy and maintain a small plane. And if you're flying for business, you write it all off anyway.

Or to put it in NES context, if you can afford a safe full of nice rifles with decent optics, you can afford the plane. That describes a bunch of people here.

I have flown through New York with a lay over at LaGuardia. On this particular trip, AL to MA through NY, I called ahead to the LE agency at LaGuardia. I told them what I was doing and asked them what they would like me to do "in the event of".

They advised me and I was fine. The officer I spoke to was informative and polite.

I also called TSA and asked the same question. Same thing, the gentleman was informative and polite.

If the lay over is unexpected and you are expected to pick up your bags, immediately as you exit the jet way, speak to the gate attendant and advise them you need TSA to maintain custody of your checked bag.

On another trip, I drove through NY on my way to Ohip for business. Given I was staying on the WV border and there is a fabulous range 5 min from my hotel in WV, I brought several firearms. Before this trip I called the NY State Police and asked them if there was anything in particular they would like. I told them what I was traveling with. They answered one of my questions and then directed me to the "New York Safe Act hotline". There they answered the remainder of my questions.
I drove to Ohio without incident,

In every instance I spoke to people that were respectful to me and answered my questions.
I have been traveling this way for years.

If I am advised not to do something such as the case with NJ. No magazines greater than 10 rounds and NO hollow point.
The official in NJ also advised me to have in my possession copies of the bills of sale for each firearm I was traveling with. (Driving)
Which I then did.

Make the calls.
Be respectful.
Ask relevant questions.
Promote NO ridiculous rumors.
Address the person you are speaking with by their title, Trooper, Officer, Sgt. Ma'am, Sir, you get the idea.
Follow the advice you are given.
Make notes.

In an airport there are as many as three agency's covering that.
State, Local, TSA
Call each of them.
Plan ahead.

Oh, one last piece of advice ..
If you act like a moron, you will be treated like one.

Probably good advice, but in my experience, LE personnel are the least knowledgeable source when it comes to the law.

Probably good advice, but in my experience, LE personnel are the least knowledgeable source when it comes to the law.
I fully agree with you but if challenged, being able to say Sgt so-in-so told me blah-blah-blah oftentimes will take the edge off an encounter. Just be sure to get names of LEOs you spoke with and drop them if required.

Hypothetical question - I’m on flights from the Manchester, NH airport to the Harrisburg, PA airport, a state that honors NH Pistol & Revolver Permits and has no state AWB. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are rerouted in flight to a NYC airport and I’m booked on a flight the next day. I’ve declared a Tavor X95 rifle (pistol grip, 30rd magazines) and pistol (Glock 17 with 17rd mags) in a hard case, meeting all airline & TSA regulations.

1. Will I be arrested on the airplane after landing or when picking up my luggage? That is, does the airline or TSA alert NYC police?
2. If not, I know I can’t declare and re-check that firearm the next day without arrest and likely prosecution, so do I:
A. Not even claim the case with the firearms, leave NYC by any means possible, ask the airline to return the luggage to MHT
B. Rent a car and drive home with the firearms in the locked trunk
C. Other?

You don’t receive the luggage, if your plane leaves the next day tell the airline or luggage folks to hold it and forward it to your ultimate destination. If the trip is cancelled and you are going to drive back home, tell the airline to return it back home. If you are going to drive to your final destination then tell the airline to forward the luggage and you can pick I up at the airport. I’ve got stuck in NY before (learned my lessons never to have that be a stopping point on my flights). In my case I told them to hold my luggage at the airport and forward to my next flight the next morning, they did it without a question

I fully agree with you but if challenged, being able to say Sgt so-in-so told me blah-blah-blah oftentimes will take the edge off an encounter. Just be sure to get names of LEOs you spoke with and drop them if required.
Getting it in writing on NYSP letterhead is better evidence in court than some phone call you can't even prove.

My airplane (based at ASH) would take about 3 hours to the DC area - GAI for example. Direct operating costs are about $130/hr. All things considered, I can fly myself there much faster than it would take via airlines.

Because its a 110% waste of money compared to just asking the airline to do their job. The ewr/lga/jfk/papd gun owner arrest diversion phantasm is an overblown one.

Really. So dropping hundreds on a flight, hundreds more on accommodations, hundreds on the class.. So thousands invested in the adventure - but you don't think it worth it to spend what - 40 or 50 bucks - to avoid the headaches of traveling with an "assault rifle" through potentially unfriendly territory where a mistake (not one made by you by the way) could result in a felony hung on you. That's what you're going to cheap out on? I'm sorry man, but I have to disagree. Not how I would do it. I would either charter a private flight in a small prop as others have suggested or ship it.

Really. So dropping hundreds on a flight, hundreds more on accommodations, hundreds on the class.. So thousands invested in the adventure - but you don't think it worth it to spend what - 40 or 50 bucks - to avoid the headaches of traveling with an "assault rifle" through potentially unfriendly territory where a mistake (not one made by you by the way) could result in a felony hung on you. That's what you're going to cheap out on? I'm sorry man, but I have to disagree. Not how I would do it. I would either charter a private flight in a small prop as others have suggested or ship it.

Did you see those prices? You would be money ahead to buy an airline ticket, and then buy an entirely new rifle at your destination. Honestly, flying with a firearm via the airlines is not that big of a deal with even a modicum of forethought.

It's just stupid to go through the window licking gymnastics of shipping guns that don't need to be shipped, it's literally that simple. You're creating a huge pain in the ass for nothing. As well as increasing the chance that your guns get lost and f*** the entire trip up. (Fedex or UPS losing your shit is probably 10x greater possibility than a diversion on a route that short lmao) There is no "mistake" if you don't touch your guns in unfriendly territory, that's the part you and others are missing in this thread. They cannot arrest you for a gun you do not possess or have control over.

Whens the last time someone was arrested a PAPD property for owning a gun they didn't or could not touch? The class will wait for your answer.

-Mike

If you fly ~ 100 hours a year, your cost of ownership should be around $200/hour. Or you can rent a plane in the neighborhood of $100/hour. Economics of Owning a Small Plane (I don't think that $100/hour includes fuel, but someone more up to date can comment)

That's enough to estimate that the $5k-$10k chartered flight gives you bragging rights, but it doesn't make any economic sense for anyone with a real world need to spontaneously fly off to some place.

Basically, if you can afford a sports car for "fun" then you probably can afford to buy and maintain a small plane. And if you're flying for business, you write it all off anyway.

Or to put it in NES context, if you can afford a safe full of nice rifles with decent optics, you can afford the plane. That describes a bunch of people here.

the reality of it all is that you do not get to use it that much. I used to fly very actively, and my company was pretty plane friendly (would re-imburse me the cost of a commercial airline ticket going the same distance if i flew). What happened in real life was, i would schedule a meeting a week ahead, then as the meeting day approached and the WX was predicted to suck...i started sweating bullets....kind of being forced into potential hard IFR when i was not a Hard IFR pilot. Or being forced to fly in potential icing conditions in the winter time, with no deicing equipment aboard....and so on.

There is a big difference between flying when you have to get there at a certain time/date, and flying for fun where if the WX sucks, you just cancel the trip and pop a cold one.

I think that's a little off the mark I knew a few people that owned their own planes and it was basically like owning another house... with what they had invested in their plane, storage, the ongoing maintenance and all that stuff....

I have one friend who has ATP license (he can literally fly anything fixed wing, barring type certification of course) and probably could easily afford his own aircraft but still won't do it. When he wants to fly for fun he just rents something. That's pretty telling..... this ain't like owning a boat or a sports car, it's a whole other planet.

Back
Top Bottom