Flying with Firearms - Rerouted to NYC

MaverickNH

NES Member
Hypothetical question - I’m on flights from the Manchester, NH airport to the Harrisburg, PA airport, a state that honors NH Pistol & Revolver Permits and has no state AWB. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are rerouted in flight to a NYC airport and I’m booked on a flight the next day. I’ve declared a Tavor X95 rifle (pistol grip, 30rd magazines) and pistol (Glock 17 with 17rd mags) in a hard case, meeting all airline & TSA regulations.

1. Will I be arrested on the airplane after landing or when picking up my luggage? That is, does the airline or TSA alert NYC police?
2. If not, I know I can’t declare and re-check that firearm the next day without arrest and likely prosecution, so do I:
A. Not even claim the case with the firearms, leave NYC by any means possible, ask the airline to return the luggage to MHT
B. Rent a car and drive home with the firearms in the locked trunk
C. Other?

Hypothetical question - I’m on flights from the Manchester, NH airport to the Harrisburg, PA airport, a state that honors NH Pistol & Revolver Permits and has no state AWB. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are rerouted in flight to a NYC airport and I’m booked on a flight the next day. I’ve declared a Tavor X95 rifle (pistol grip, 30rd magazines) and pistol (Glock 17 with 17rd mags) in a hard case, meeting all airline & TSA regulations.

1. Will I be arrested on the airplane after landing or when picking up my luggage? That is, does the airline or TSA alert NYC police?
2. If not, I know I can’t declare and re-check that firearm the next day without arrest and likely prosecution, so do I:
A. Not even claim the case with the firearms, leave NYC by any means possible, ask the airline to return the luggage to MHT
C. Other?

First you should know it is ALL of New York not just New York City that is a problem. 1) unless the air line broke the rules and labeled the case as containing a gun no one in NYC should know what’s in the case. I would (and have) chosen 2B but I would probably drive to my destination.

Good luck

With all due respect, Sir. Rent a car and drive to Harrisburg. Whatever difficulty the driving distance presents in terms of time and energy and cost, guaranteed, it'll be a lot less than the mandatory sentence in NYS. DON'T FLY. I am not a lawyer and YMMV, but I wouldn't under any circumstances accept the risk you'd be looking at in your hypothetical.

Don't pick up your luggage and let it remain the common carrier's (airline) problem. Any other choice leads to you defending yourself in court under FOPA from malicious prosecution by NY/NYC which ignores FOPA. Until officials GO TO PRISON for violating FOPA and your Civil Rights they will keep pulling this shit.

Sorry, I just deleted my post by mistake. I would not pick up the luggage. Let the airline handle it, and you can pick it up in PA. The minute you take possession of the luggage, you are toast. Please follow the link below. NYC does not recognize ANY permits from the other 49 states, not even the ones issues in the rest of the NY state!
New York City Airport Gun Arrests

Last edited:
With all due respect, Sir. Rent a car and drive to Harrisburg. Whatever difficulty the driving distance presents in terms of time and energy and cost, guaranteed, it'll be a lot less than the mandatory sentence in NYS. DON'T FLY. I am not a lawyer and YMMV, but I wouldn't under any circumstances accept the risk you'd be looking at in your hypothetical.
No offense, but you are mistaken. Please refrain from offering advice on this matter.

I'm guessing you already know but I've read that New Jersey has ignored FOPA laws and arrested people passing through. Might be worth a little research if you're thinking of driving from NYC to PA. Sorry to hear that you're in this predicament.

FOPA Doesn't Apply in NY/NJ!

How far we've fallen from the 2A.

Going to a Tavor Operator course at the IWI headquarters? Let us know how you like it.

How can you drive from NH to PA without crossing NY?

I'm guessing you already know but I've read that New Jersey has ignored FOPA laws and arrested people passing through. Might be worth a little research if you're thinking of driving from NYC to PA. Sorry to hear that you're in this predicament.

FOPA Doesn't Apply in NY/NJ!

Well, it DOES apply there, but local authorities disagree.

How can you drive from NH to PA without crossing NY?
I think TB605 is referring to the hypothetical nature of this scenario, advising just to drive from the outset because crossing NY wouldn't matter as your origin and destination are legal (and storage requirements of FOPA). You're interpreting his suggestion as initiating FOPA mode in NY -- a patriotic form of suicide.

C. Other?

During my Utah CCW instructors class I was told to advise of my own intentions in such a situation as follows;

1. They will try to get me at the bag check when I pick up my luggage; they have a protocol designed to screw people when they pick up guns.
2. Forget it, let the airline deal with it when I'm not in NY State let alone NYC.

A - Escape from New York, contact the airline when I'm back in the United States (or at least my home state, if I'm a resident of CA, MA, etc)

Last edited:
IANAL, but as others have stated: leave your checked bags containing firearms right on that carousel until the airline staff decides they've been there long enough and force them to take steps to return them. They will ship them to you, it's factored into the $25 fee

leave your checked bags containing firearms right on that carousel until the airline staff decides they've been there long enough....
or some "see something, say something" dudley doright gets tsa involved for suspicious, unclaimed luggage that's been going around an empty conveyor for 20 minutes. after 9/11, they're full boat nuts at the port authority.

Don't pick up your luggage and let it remain the common carrier's (airline) problem.

This
there is a guy in NY azz pounding prison right now JUST because he picked up his luggage after flight was redirected to JFK, walked up to a cop and asked what to do with the gun, and was immediately arrested.

Do NOT touch that luggage.

Reiterating do not touch the luggage. That is the answer to your hypothetical.

Also fly on the earliest flight possible to allow for transfers to other flights same day and avoid being stuck.

If this is really a hypothetical:

Plan on arriving a couple days early so your luggage will catch up to you.

If you so much as breath on your luggage in NY while it's waiting for you on the carousel - you'll go to jail for a very long time.

Talk to some high level people are the airline so they know how to get your luggage to you before the class and document everything with names and contact info.

Hopefully you can get your gun in time for the class.

You could rent a car and travel down I-87 (New York Thruway from Mass Pike) to I-84 which goes into PA. If you get pulled over for speeding - don't consent to a search and don't answer questions from the NY State Police. They can put you in jail for having the AW and hi cap mags.

You could send the guns from a UPS hub to the UPS store where the class is and send them back after the class.

You could arrange for rental guns from IWI at the class.

You might be able to arrange for travel insurance from AMEX to cover all your losses if you can't get your guns in time for the class.

If you have to stay over in NYC after landing with your guns - talk to the airline and TSA about holding the guns until the next day.
You may be able to have a contingency plan if you prepare for this in advance by talking to the TSA and the airline.

There is a Tavor Class that is happening in less then 2 weeks and if that is your class - I think you can mull over these options and prepare beforehand.

If I were you, I would arrange for rental guns from IWI. A Tavor they have is not much different than yours even if you have a trigger pack and trigger upgrades. I'm sure you could find a G17, as well. Bring your holster, mag carriers and sling. I think IWI would be sympathetic for your situation.

I would like to take that class!

I fail to believe that a day goes by without somebody traversing NY with a firearm according to FOPA (probably even missing some of the high points).

We're aware of a dozen cases where somebody was pinched and there are probably many more that they caught. But if they were catching even a fraction of those that Oasis through, believe me we'd be hearing about it.

Likewise, the salmon in Alaska. Bears and fishermen catch a LOT of salmon but somehow enough get through to make sure there are plenty next year.

BE the salmon that gets through.

But don't flipper off the cop if you get stopped for speeding.

Gun=cheap..Lawyer=not cheap!

Leave gun on carousel and call airline when home and ask how they lost your gun![smile]

Do not pick up your luggage. You may be a little ripe on your flight tomorrow morning, but no more ripe that you would be in that jail cell if you pick up your luggage. You can always buy a T-Shirt from a street vendor.

Enjoy the free night in the hotel. Grab a cab and head to McSorley's, a very interesting bar.

Tomorrow morning you may even get a free McMuffin and a cup of hot, brown liquid as well.

When you get to PA, inquire about your luggage.

Back
Top Bottom