Flying with Firearms - Rerouted to NYC

Fact: NY ignores FOPA. NY also considers a firearm to be loaded even if it is completely disassembled, with each piece locked in a separate container, magazines disassembled, locked in separate containers and ammunition locked in separate containers if all those containers are locked inside the same suitcase. Same applies to the trunk of a car. The outer most container is still considered in the "same container" and thus "loaded." More than a few travelers have been arrested at a NY airport for having a loaded gun that way.

FACT - this is easily dealt with, with explanations already in the thread. Simply don't pick up your gun if you are rerouted to NY.

FACT - NY does recognize FOPA. Nobody ever gets arrested on NY highways if traveling in compliance with FOPA.

FACT - The problem is the port authority of NY and NJ. So this affects Newark in NJ also. The problem airports are JFK, LGA, EWR, SWF (Stewart), and TEB (Teterboro).

1 in 500 odds does count as rare, but OTOH one has to consider the consequences of coming out on the wrong end of those odds. Considering all the stories I've heard of people who did what they thought was the right thing regarding traveling through NY with a firearm and came out of it with an undeserved criminal record and a destroyed life, I can see why the original poster wants to figure out what to do well in advance. Just In Case.

The odds are 0 in 500 if you simply don't pick up your firearms if you are rerouted to a PA airport.

All types of flying for different folks. I loved flying acro - been years - if I hit powerball I'd have an Extra 300. I can't swing multiple airplanes financially, so an airplane that is suited to going places is the best thing for me.

If I hit powerball, I mean filthy rich powerball.

I'd have a Citation X, King Air, Caravan on amphib floats, and a Pitts. Ha.

If I hit powerball, I mean filthy rich powerball.

I'd have a Citation X, King Air, Caravan on amphib floats, and a Pitts. Ha.

I'd have the Extra, amphib would be a Widgeon or Goose, jet would be some sort of C525 - probably a CJ4 (since I don't want to be required to have a second pilot and I've already got C525 experience), something like a Kodiak for shorter hops, and lastly a Stationair for a beater.

Back
Top Bottom