First Gun

ridleyman

NES Member
After searching 10 pages of threads, I couldn't find this topic, although I have a vague recollection of it being done a long time ago. In any case, whether it be I missed it, or early dementia, or both, here we go.

My first gun was a Charter Arms AR-7, POS incidentally, because I could take it apart and hide it. I bought it on my 18th birthday, 40 years ago, from Roach's in Cambridge, with my FID card that my parents signed for because I was on my high school rifle team (chemistry teacher kept Remington rifles in his classroom closet!), even though they hate guns. So, I had to hide it from them.

My first handgun was a used Ruger Security Six in .357, bought on my 21st birthday.

Share your first handgun, rifle, shotgun, if you like!

Last edited:
My "first" was a glenfield 25 still have it and it shoots well for what it is.
First purchased by me
Rifle: SKS bought when I turned 18.
Shotty: 870 express cause it was cheap.
Pistol? i took a berretta 92 in trade
Did not buy a pistol for myself until I was into my 30s

• My first rifle was a Belgian Browning SA-22 takedown gun, I still have it.
  • My first shotgun was a Remington 870 Wingmaster Express on my 12th birthday, I still have it
  • My first pistol was a Chiefs Special stainless S&W. My Dad gave it to me on my 16th birthday and its still in the gun room.
I have not shot these guns in a long time, I feel like I need to now.

First handgun Ruger sp101 357 mangum. Still shoot it weekly still carry it. It's a well built revolver.

Next purchase was my first shotgun in 2012.....a new in box never fired Mossberg 500 that was manufacturerd in mid 1990s. An army buddy of mine won it in a raffle in 1995 and never took it out of the box. Best $150 I ever spent on a gun. I've shot boxes and boxes of clays with it and countless snowshoe hare squirrels some ducks pheasant have come home in my vest using it. Taken a couple deer with it too and also a couple of turkeys. It's beat to hell now and I love it. I have "better" shotguns in the safe.....but in three weeks it's going up to Maine with me to hunt snowshoe hares. Wouldn't even think about another gun on that trip.

First rifle was a mosin 91-30......it was cheap.....it works.

Have upwards of 25 guns now.......all have their place in my collection most for hunting.......some for range and some for "business".

I still have every gun I ever bought ......never sold a one.

Last edited:
First was a police trade in Sig 229 in 40 S&W that came with a 357 Sig barrel. Quickly added a 9mm Barsto barrel to create a true 3 caliber handgun.

M&P 40 from four seasons was my first gun/pistol I purchased in 2009. Have since sold it as who wants a fotay?....
First rifle was a Norinco SKS from Four Seasons which I still own but haven’t shot in years.

My first gun was a used Mossy 500. It was $100 bucks at Tight Lines in West Bridgewater. My next purchase was a Sig 226 and a 4"- 686. Still have all three and will never sell any of them.

Mossberg 42B rifle (22 LR) handed down to me from the old man. I believe that a friend gave it to him. That model was made from 1938 to 1941. Still shoots fine.

My first gun was a used Mossy 500. It was $100 bucks at Tight Lines in West Bridgewater. My next purchase was a Sig 226 and a 4"- 686. Still have all three and will never sell any of them.
The mossy 500 seems to be alot of folks first shotgun. Mine was and I still hunt with it......cheap but reliable. Never had an issue with mine and I've beat the hell out of it.

My first was a Mossberg 500 many moons ago when I lived in NY. When I moved to MA in ‘95 I left it there having heard what a pain gun things were in MA. Took almost 20 years before I got around to getting my license in MA. My first gun in MA, many years later, was an M&P40. Mistake, but a relatively cheap one and I got a 9mm drop in barrell and use it as a range gun or when I take noobs to the range. I compounded the fotay mistake by getting a sub2000 in .40. I like the gun but wish I got it in 9mm. At least I got it w Glock compatible mags anyway. Oh well, another relatively cheap mistake. You live and learn. Bought a bunch of stuff since then, happy w most of it. I laugh when I see noobs now searching for the one prefect gun.

My first was a Mossberg 500 many moons ago when I lived in NY. When I moved to MA in ‘95 I left it there having heard what a pain gun things were in MA. Took almost 20 years before I got around to getting my license in MA. My first gun in MA, many years later, was an M&P40. Mistake, but a relatively cheap one and I got a 9mm drop in barrell and use it as a range gun or when I take noobs to the range. I compounded the fotay mistake by getting a sub2000 in .40. I like the gun but wish I got it in 9mm. At least I got it w Glock compatible mags anyway. Oh well, another relatively cheap mistake. You live and learn. Bought a bunch of stuff since then, happy w most of it. I laugh when I see noobs now searching for the one prefect gun.
The perfect gun is a myth. There may be a perfect gun for a specific task but there is not one perfect gun.

I've had multiple conversations with both anti gun and neutral acquaintances and relatives. They usually shudder and have mouths agape when they ask me how many guns I own and I tell them about 25! An explaination that has usually worked for me.....I ask them "could you rebuild an engine or fix a leaky faucet with just one tool"? Guns are tools.......and if you hunt or participate in different sports you'll need much more than one or two tools.

I got an AK-74 in 1998 around 18th birthday for $100 ..was living in CT and senior in HS... friends/classmates and I loved shooting it..wouid all throw in on 1000 round case..had 10 pre ban 30 rounders...fun for hours...never jammed..never cleaned too well either...haha

The perfect gun is a myth. There may be a perfect gun for a specific task but there is not one perfect gun.

I've had multiple conversations with both anti gun and neutral acquaintances and relatives. They usually shudder and have mouths agape when they ask me how many guns I own and I tell them about 25! An explaination that has usually worked for me.....I ask them "could you rebuild an engine or fix a leaky faucet with just one tool"? Guns are tools.......and if you hunt or participate in different sports you'll need much more than one or two tools.

Agreed re the antis, I was referring more to the noobs who do all the reading, talk to all their friends, etc. and think they have it figured out. Kinda like I did. The best advice I see on here is telling people to buy a safe three times the size they imagine they’ll need. And then buy another one or two.

Ruger 10/22, watched it come down the rollers at Service Merchandise in Salem, NH. Still love it and have added a heavy barrel and stock with bipod. You never forget your first.

First was a daisy. Firearm was a Winchester 30-30, Sears 20ga, Smith 32. None of which I still own.(for Maura's benefit)

Bought a 10-22 in nickel (stainless) in 1989. Still shoot it...a lot
Bought a Mini-14 in nickel a week later. Safe queen, but a pre-ban
Bought a Remington 870 the week after that

It's kind of been an insane number of adds since then.

Slowed down a bit.....

Only 2 in '17, M1 Carbine, and Colt pre-ban AR
Only 1 in '18, an SKS
Only 1 so far in '19, a P365

Last edited:
Remington 581 lh I got for Christmas in '79. It came with a Tasco 3x for real precision work. Still have it.
In 1988 was my first purchase, a Marlin 336sc in 35 Rem. A couple of buddies invited me to go hunting in NY state. I could have borrowed my dad's 25-06 but I wanted my own rifle for the trip. Still have it and shoot it a lot.
1991 First milsurp is my Swede Mauser 93 long rifle. Still have it.
1992 First pistol Ruger Bearcat. Not the new Bearcat. Still have it.
1995 First Shotgun Remington 58 12ga. Still shoot it for trap.
I've only ever sold 2 guns and those I used to fund other firearms. They were bought expressly to use as a flip. Winchester m12 in 12 and 20. Engraved and lovingly used. They fetched a pretty penny. I only kind of regret selling them

Used old Remington Nylon 10, bolt action 22 when I was around 10 or 11 yo. Wish I still had it. Not many of them around anymore.

First pistol was a Sig P229 in 357 Sig and 40 SW I bought new around '95 from Jims Gun Shop in Fayetteville NC when I was around 21. If you wanted the hot new 357 sig round back then it was the only option.

My first firearm was a Marlin Glenfield model 60 purchased for me by my Dad from the Milford K-mart in the late 70's.
First pistol was a Ruger MkII 5" bull barrel.
First Revolver was an S&W Model 65 .357

Still have and shoot them all.

Marlin Glenfield Model 60, still have and love it!Taught all our kids on it.
Firs pistol: used Glock 26, many rounds, never a ftf. Alternate carrying it or my 42.

My first gun was the Sig P250 compact. I bought it off grabagun.com a few years ago and had it shipped to a nearby range with FFL. I just searched the site for "ma compliant" and picked the coolest looking gun. Incidentally, it became one of the best purchases I've made and I still shoot it to maintain my trigger squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom