First CMP order! It's here!

especially with targets,,,,,,so sad cases like me can play with my free target software and day dream about shooting!

What is this target software you speak of?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgive my ignorance, but why the interest in HRAs? Are they better than the SAs? Or just different and people desire to round out a collection?

What is this target software you speak of?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgive my ignorance, but why the interest in HRAs? Are they better than the SAs? Or just different and people desire to round out a collection?
I been useing On Target free target software, it plots your group size CTC, MOA its just something else to do with your targets. I play with it with my targets from CMP matches
HRAs are newer for one thing, tend to be in a little better shape and have not always been offered. Also for some like me its another great "made in massachusetts" iconic rifle. I have a little collection going of "made in mass" guns. So the HRA was a good pic. Also HRA and IHC where produced under ideal non war conditions. Some will argue HRA are better made and fit and finish are better vs some say the winchesters are the worst built. One thing with the later production rifles is the bugs of production and all the improvements of design are there.

t plots your group size CTC, MOA its just something else to do with your targets.

HRAs are newer for one thing, tend to be in a little better shape and have not always been offered. Also for some like me its another great "made in massachusetts" iconic rifle. .

Got it on both counts, thanks. I noticed that the CMP is not taking orders on the HRAs. If I were to send in an order for one, might it lie in wait until one is discovered?

Previously you explained the value of an SA with WWII serial numbers. If someone were to order another SA with highest serial number possible, what would result? Is it more likely to be in better shape with fewer Frankenstein parts?

Last edited:
Got it on both counts, thanks. I noticed that the CMP is not taking orders on the HRAs. If I were to send in an order for one, might it lie in wait until one is discovered?

Previously you explained the value of an SA with WWII serial numbers. If someone were to order another SA with highest serial number possible, what would result? Is it more likely to be in better shape with fewer Frankenstein parts?

There's a reason why it says they're not taking orders for HRAs [smile] Don't submit an order for an HRA, they're already backordered for those who submitted orders when they were 'in-stock'. Ordering a SA now, would be luck of the draw for what SN you would receive. Some have put yellow sticky notes in their orders with special requests - though those aren't guaranteed. I put a note on my latest order asking for a WWII SN, USGI Stock and preferably a shooter (I hope they read/prioritize it in that order) since I already have a mint HRA and very nice SA. But they're more recent than a WWII. I'd really like to own a rifle that may or may not have seen some action in Europe. Gives it more meaning (to me at least).

I should have my serial numbers on Monday if my two rifles ship...

Last edited:
For a first order, does the request for USGI stock and WWII SN reduce the possibility of getting a "shooter"? If you could only buy one CMP rifle and wanted accuracy first, matching parts second, and WWII third, is asking for WWII serial numbers eliminating the other priorities?

For a first order, does the request for USGI stock and WWII SN reduce the possibility of getting a "shooter"? If you could only buy one CMP rifle and wanted accuracy first, matching parts second, and WWII third, is asking for WWII serial numbers eliminating the other priorities?

It's luck of the draw, and what preassembled rifles (or parts) the armorer/sales picker has in front of him. If you ask for a shooter, he or she is going to look for something with low ME and TE. USGI Stock? They'll glance to see if they've got one. WWII SN? Same thing. Since they're pumping these things out, who knows if they'll actually look for something that meets your exact criteria.

So if you're really looking for a shooter, ask for a shooter. Unless the receiver was rebarreled, you probably won't get a WWII SN receiver, since those would have typically seen more use. My first M1, a HRA, I asked for a shooter. I managed to get USGI HRA wood too, and the park on the whole gun was flawless. But not a WWII SN.

It's luck of the draw, and what preassembled rifles (or parts) the armorer/sales picker has in front of him. If you ask for a shooter, he or she is going to look for something with low ME and TE. USGI Stock? They'll glance to see if they've got one. WWII SN? Same thing. Since they're pumping these things out, who knows if they'll actually look for something that meets your exact criteria.

So if you're really looking for a shooter, ask for a shooter. Unless the receiver was rebarreled, you probably won't get a WWII SN receiver, since those would have typically seen more use. My first M1, a HRA, I asked for a shooter. I managed to get USGI HRA wood too, and the park on the whole gun was flawless. But not a WWII SN.

First off for the most part once your order makes it to the department that pulls your order the rifles are already boxed up. From what I gather on cmp web site the only chance of stickies you have is serial number range. Again as stated its luck of the draw.
As for accuracy its going to shoot as good as US army wanted it to. Good enough. There was no milspec requirement for accuracy of the M1 garand. (if some one can come up with it please post). There was a accuracy standard for the M2 ball ammo BUT this was out of a testing barrel and if you read the us army requirements of M2 ball 30cal it basically translates to 4 MOA. HXP does shoot better than this though. There is no "better" combination to end up with a better rifle. All service grade rifles have been through a rebuild mix master parts and as good as the CMP's description. Muzzle and throat wear are not a deciding factor either. I have a 1942 SA service grade reciver that reads 3+ on both muzzle and throat and out shoots my 1952 SA service grade thats a 2 and 1 more to do with stock fit....... I judge accuracy of a M1 to be good if you can put 20 shots from prone and slinged into the black bull of a SR1 target at 100 yards.

Hand loading your own ammo can increase the accuracy of a M1 but it must be able to some groups with hxp to even be worth trying. My best shooting HRA service grade with new wood and a lot of fiddle'n with all the accuracy tips and mods with in the John C Garand match rules I have down to sub 3moa off the rest

Last edited:
I asked for just a WW2 serial number after it hit the e-store. They put the note on it and I got an April 1945 with GI wood that shoots like this at 50 yds with the Greek HXP.

Sighting in started in the lower right and moved towards the center as I clicked up and left.

IMG_00000157.jpg

especially with targets,,,,,,so sad cases like me can play with my free target software and day dream about shooting!

Here's a few targets from the 2.9mil SA SG that I just got. Shoots real nice!

Range was busy so I decided I'd just put my targets up at 100yds since the other lanes were busy. First three shots on paper, started with front sight and rear sight centered, 8 clicks up. Lucky shots on my part, but made sighting it in a breeze.

Rounds are Hornady brass, Sierra 150gr SMK, Rem 9-1/2 primers, and 46.5gr IMR-4895 OAL 3.250.

SA_targets_1.jpg

8 shots from bags at an SR-21:

SA_targets_2.jpg

8 shots sitting, no sling :

SA_targets_3.jpg

and 8 shots offhand at an SR-1 (again no sling) .. not my strong suit.

SA_targets_4.jpg

SA_Garand_2.jpg

SA_Garand_1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few targets from the 2.9mil SA SG that I just got. Shoots real nice!

Range was busy so I decided I'd just put my targets up at 100yds since the other lanes were busy. First three shots on paper, started with front sight and rear sight centered, 8 clicks up. Lucky shots on my part, but made sighting it in a breeze.

Rounds are Hornady brass, Sierra 150gr SMK, Rem 9-1/2 primers, and 46.5gr IMR-4895 OAL 3.250.

SA_targets_1.jpg

8 shots from bags at an SR-21:

SA_targets_2.jpg

8 shots sitting, no sling :

SA_targets_3.jpg

and 8 shots offhand at an SR-1 (again no sling) .. not my strong suit.

SA_targets_4.jpg

SA_Garand_2.jpg

SA_Garand_1.jpg

NICE! Your off hand isxdarn good also. You don't use a sling in the standing/off hand position during matches anyway. Good work......except for that dump into the 6 ring!!! Kid'n

NICE! Your off hand isxdarn good also. You don't use a sling in the standing/off hand position during matches anyway. Good work......except for that dump into the 6 ring!!! Kid'n

Exactly! The guys who are winning the matches at my club aren't dumping rounds into the 6 ring! Thanks for the kind words though guys.

Got my tracking. Delivery tomorrow, but I'll be at work. Hopefully my roommate is going in late tomorrow or I'll have to request to pick it up at the depot.

Anyone know how much it costs to schedule a delivery time?

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

IT depend on wher eyou live, but if you log into the FedEx site, they will tell you. Mine was $5, but then I foudn they woudl hold it at a FedEx copy/ship place for free and it was on my way home and not out of my way.

Not to mention, the depot may be open late. I know mine closes at 8:30pm so its pretty convenient to have something held and you can tell them to hold it before they attempt a first delivery (unlike UPS).

Yeah it's showing $10 for an evening window for 5-8 pm tomorrow. (2 rifles)

But it'd suck if they showed up before 6.. Since I won't be home.

I've picked up from the depot, but I don't want to wait that long!

-------------

Just to put it in proper format [smile]

Order for 2, SA SG
Order Mailed: 10/25/13
Order received: 10/28/13
DBU: 11/12/13
E-Store: 11/26/13
CC Hit: 11/26/13
Shipped: 12/2/13
BWT: Estimated 12/3/13

SN: 2295xxx and 3431xxx
Excited!

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.

You're not alone. I've debated switching my order but at this point hoping my patience will be rewarded.

I would wait it out.

As for my pair of SAs.. Roommate was in the shower as I watched the FedEx guy remotely, ring the doorbell, then leave a doortag :( picking up my rifles from the FedEx Kinkos near me tonight.

-------------

anyone have problems doing an efa10 with the garands. I keep getting an error message when I finalize the transaction.

Back
Top Bottom