First CMP order! It's here!

A "P" without a circle or a "P" inside a square box is a rebuild stamp from the arsenal which overhauled/rebuilt the rifle and re-proofed it from what I found online.

The enblocs probably haven't even been charged to your card yet, I know for mine it took weeks to get so you could potentially cancel that order and pick them up there.

Grab me some ammo? ;-)

I was thinking about cancelling and grabbing while I was there. I was also thinking about loading up on as much ammo as I could afford and fit and maybe sneaking in one of the HRA Service Grade Specials. Room will be tight though, with the wife and kids and all the junk that is needed for a 13 day road trip. On top of that we are throwing in a 4 inch thick piece of 3ftx5ft lumber and some giant bit of 6 inch tree trunk that's almost 3ft across that's going to be used to make a pedestal for a wedding cake. No friggin clue what the monster bit of tree is for. Dropping it off at in-laws after the CMP unfortunately or I'd have plenty of room and not have to worry. I'm worried all I will have room for is the bag of clips and the sling, and it will have to sit in my lap at this point. I'll see how it goes and fit what I can for ammo, mini mil-surp group buy maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

Reading a few post on cmp forum south store is slim pickings.
AP 3006 is 110.00$ scattered available 223,308, and 40 cal
As for rifles I don't think there has been much in the stores for a while.
Some snipers, specials, drill rifles and assorted other rifles which tend to be in rough shape.

As for enblocs they run out often but manufacture ships them in in small batches.

I'm hitting the Camp Perry (North) store. Hoping they will be better stocked than the south store. I know it is really hit or miss. I was thinking of leaving my order as is, and cancelling while I was there (If possible), or cancellign once I hit our stop after and can get on the internet.

Last edited:
I was thinking about cancelling and grabbing while I was there. I was also thinking about loading up on as much ammo as I could afford and fit and maybe sneaking in one of the HRA Service Grade Specials. Room will be tight though, with the wife and kids and all the junk that is needed for a 13 day road trip. On top of that we are throwing in a 4 inch thick piece of 3ftx5ft lumber and some giant bit of 6 inch tree trunk that's almost 3ft across that's going to be used to make a pedestal for a wedding cake. No friggin clue what the monster bit of tree is for. Dropping it off at in-laws after the CMP unfortunately or I'd have plenty of room and not have to worry. I'm worried all I will have room for is the bag of clips and the sling, and it will have to sit in my lap at this point. I'll see how it goes and fit what I can for ammo, mini mil-surp group buy maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hitting the Camp Perry (North) store. Hoping they will be better stocked than the south store. I know it is really hit or miss. I was thinking of leaving my order as is, and cancelling while I was there (If possible), or cancellign once I hit our stop after and can get on the internet.

Well i noticed your post on cmp, so you know if theres stuff you want there your doing well. Just a note the AP stuff from what cmp post state is corrosive.

Hmmm...have one in my cart right now. Wonder if it's worth it?

Hmm. The eStore description just says "box". Roughly $0.10 per piece before shipping, $0.14 with shipping. No mention of headstamp or if it's consistent.

There's a lot of 30-06 brass out there if you ask around, though this does say it's once-fired. Might be worth calling up and asking for more detail if you're looking for brass and can't find it locally.

The Greek HXP is about $0.50 per round and you get to once-fire it yourself. Headstamps there have been mixed but almost all HXP over a range of late 60's to mid 70's.

Let us know if you learn more!

Hmm. The eStore description just says "box". Roughly $0.10 per piece before shipping, $0.14 with shipping. No mention of headstamp or if it's consistent.

There's a lot of 30-06 brass out there if you ask around, though this does say it's once-fired. Might be worth calling up and asking for more detail if you're looking for brass and can't find it locally.

The Greek HXP is about $0.50 per round and you get to once-fire it yourself. Headstamps there have been mixed but almost all HXP over a range of late 60's to mid 70's.

Let us know if you learn more!

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=124355

Someone called and confirmed it comes in a can, not a box.

As for head stamps - looks like someone got some LC, corrosive, and "commercial cases".

Did anyone see this recently on the CMP grading description? I could swear it was just recently added:

Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands.

The two I saw today were serials 548x,xxx & 547x,xxx and had new stocks. I'm saddened, but oh well. One is a 0+/2 the other is a 2/4 muzzle/throat, so should be good shooters.

Where are people finding 30-06 brass? The best I can find in any sort of quantity (ie. more than 20 here or 50 there) is 19.6 cents/round.

I would say if your buying brass because you reload a far better round than the HXP then .14 ea shipped is not terrible. That said I reload and I would be hard pressed not to buy the ammo first @ .55 per round. then the brass is "free"
If I loaded buying the cases .14+ .18 bullet (the most expensive I use) .025 primer (still useing primers from 2011) + .145 for powder = .49 per reload. Which are far more accurate than HXP BUT....BUT there are times I rather not waste the nice bullets when going shooting. So with the projected cost of replacing the bullets I use to reload to have a increase in 2014 I rather pay the 55 per round and get empties the fun way.... If the ammo can you get is any good thats a plus. The cans I been getting with the ammo are not so great. I usually can get 10 bucks for the cans down the club. As for where to get brass....I ask everyone I know that shoots. "save your brass" I have a decent little circle of brass rats. Whe trade brass or other items to get it. I also am not shy about asking the shooters at the club. "you save your brass" if they say no I say I will clean it up for you, just leave it. Or if they ask what its worth I will blurt out a offer.

Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. this is really not that new. From what I could dig up on the cmp forums. The last larger shipment of garands returned from turkey had more "bad" wood than good.

Last edited:
I would say if your buying brass because you reload a far better round than the HXP then .14 ea shipped is not terrible. That said I reload and I would be hard pressed not to buy the ammo first @ .55 per round. then the brass is "free"
If I loaded buying the cases .14+ .18 bullet (the most expensive I use) .025 primer (still useing primers from 2011) + .145 for powder = .49 per reload. Which are far more accurate than HXP BUT....BUT there are times I rather not waste the nice bullets when going shooting. So with the projected cost of replacing the bullets I use to reload to have a increase in 2014 I rather pay the 55 per round and get empties the fun way.... If the ammo can you get is any good thats a plus. The cans I been getting with the ammo are not so great. I usually can get 10 bucks for the cans down the club. As for where to get brass....I ask everyone I know that shoots. "save your brass" I have a decent little circle of brass rats. Whe trade brass or other items to get it. I also am not shy about asking the shooters at the club. "you save your brass" if they say no I say I will clean it up for you, just leave it. Or if they ask what its worth I will blurt out a offer.

Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. this is really not that new. From what I could dig up on the cmp forums. The last larger shipment of garands returned from turkey had more "bad" wood than good.

Great breakdown. I should've listened when I first placed the order! I'd have had all the ammo I could shoot by now.
How does one get "bad" wood when the receivers and action look extremely good (at least to my untrained eye)?

Great breakdown. I should've listened when I first placed the order! I'd have had all the ammo I could shoot by now.
How does one get "bad" wood when the receivers and action look extremely good (at least to my untrained eye)?

The wood doesnt hold up as well as the metal after 50+ years. If you had seen some of the pics in the Garand Collectors Association of the storage of the stocks and how the rifles where shipped from some places. Its a wonder they get any decent wood.

Order recieved 9-23, got the "leave us alone" email on 10/11..

got a shipment notification today.... WHOOHOO!! Way sooner than I expected. It says the order was placed on 10/29

It's in the mail baby! M1 Garand HRA Service Grade

Last edited:
Got my shipping notice Wednesday. M1 Garand HRA service grade. Unfortunately I need to delay the drop off a few days until I'm home to sign for it. Damn work always getting in the way.

Got my shipping notice Wednesday. M1 Garand HRA service grade. Unfortunately I need to delay the drop off a few days until I'm home to sign for it. Damn work always getting in the way.

For the Garand you can have them divert and hold at a FedEx store, they are usually open until at least 9PM EST. They just cant do it for Ammo.

If anyone needs any ammo, now's the time to order the HXP. It took them 3 days from the day I placed the order till it shipped!

Back
Top Bottom