First CMP order! It's here!

Nice gun, good wood, looks like its mostly original parts including the barrel and the windage knob which you don't see every day. While I can't see the full bolt markings, the only part I saw not HRA is the trigger group, which is IHC (some might find that more desirable).

You could dig into the drawing numbers to be sure, but it looks to me like your rifle is original. That stock is beautiful too.

The markings on the bolt are D28287-12SA B4C. So the bolt and the trigger group are the only non-HRA parts. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Worth the 3 month wait!

Gotta get to the range on Saturday to try it out now [smile]

Definitely having stock envy right now.. my recent HRA was all original except for the trigger (SA) and a new CMP stock. Enjoy it!

Having a SA triger housing doesn't mean it was not original. Remember they put what ever was available on them to get them out. Also towards the end of production they where sure to use up any parts in stock.
What we are experiencing with the HRA are rifles that did not see as heavy service life as the Korean and WWII rifles.
You can bet your bottom dollar cmp service grades have been through the rearsenal process at least once in their lives more likely several times. Still great rifles !

Having a SA triger housing doesn't mean it was not original. Remember they put what ever was available on them to get them out. Also towards the end of production they where sure to use up any parts in stock.
What we are experiencing with the HRA are rifles that did not see as heavy service life as the Korean and WWII rifles.
You can bet your bottom dollar cmp service grades have been through the rearsenal process at least once in their lives more likely several times. Still great rifles !
This! I like to think of it as getting a rifle like those that the boys in the field were getting as they went off to war. I'm sure they weren't concerned about matching parts, so long as they could bet their lives on the parts they got!

CMP just emailed me , said I ordered a HRA service grade and could put in for a Springfield service grade if I want . I tried searching but am too anxious to know what to do, so a dupe question ? I'm going SASG !

Last edited:
Really no bad choice with SG's its a crap shoot but its been a long time since I seen anyone post here or cmp of a Service grade with high muzzle and throat readings. So I will guess you should shed yours in 10 days or so.

CMP just emailed me , said I ordered a HRA service grade and could put in for a Springfield service grade if I want . I tried searching but am too anxious to know what to do, so a dupe question ? I'm going SASG !

Got the same email and said same thing. Send it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Just shot mine today, it was awesome! Amazingly accurate as well.

PICS.....PICS...how accurate? I'm just lame. I don't get to shoot much so I live through you guys. If the target is good I will pretend its mine[smile]

I don't have any pics of the target, but at 100 yards it was grouping maybe 3 inches or so with me and my buddys crappy shooting

I don't have any pics of the target, but at 100 yards it was grouping maybe 3 inches or so with me and my buddys crappy shooting
[laugh2] of course you where everyones garand pounds out 3" groups....[smile] just kidding. With specsxlike your rifle has should be no problem to shoot sub 4" groups...of a rest....still kidding
Means nothing with out pics.....ok still kidding. As long as you walked away smile'n .

I sent in my first order to the CMP on 9/11/13. I sent my info in the mail with a check. They normally cash the checks on arrival, correct? I know they have been bogged down lately but has it taken anyone else a month just for them to receive your order? I'm hoping there were no problems with the order, I went over it pretty carefully before I sent it in so I'm thinking everything should be in line.

I sent in my first order to the CMP on 9/11/13. I sent my info in the mail with a check. They normally cash the checks on arrival, correct? I know they have been bogged down lately but has it taken anyone else a month just for them to receive your order? I'm hoping there were no problems with the order, I went over it pretty carefully before I sent it in so I'm thinking everything should be in line.

I don't think so it must go pass Sales Department I believe "Your email address and password are what you will need to use to log into our estore to check order status, purchase items, view your account, etc. The order will not show as pending until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems doing this, please let us
know."

My email had this part
[sad] "Please note, that unless otherwise listed, our order to ship time is at least 60-90 days. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Welcome to the [popcorn] club [thumbsup]

orest micheals director of cmp basically said orders for service grade rilfes are about 6 months from the day your order arrives in cmp mail box to the rifle ships. He also mentioned they are aprox 9000 orders for rifles that still need to go through the process, so hurry up and wait.
order some other things from cmp every few weeks and they will keep you busy until the rifle comes in. I did ammo every 3 weeks and it was rolling in about 4 weeks apart.

orest micheals director of cmp basically said orders for service grade rilfes are about 6 months from the day your order arrives in cmp mail box to the rifle ships. He also mentioned they are aprox 9000 orders for rifles that still need to go through the process, so hurry up and wait.
order some other things from cmp every few weeks and they will keep you busy until the rifle comes in. I did ammo every 3 weeks and it was rolling in about 4 weeks apart.

I'm about to put in another order for a Garand... I haven't even shot the last one that came in a month ago... hahahaha.. Garanditis at it's finest

I'm about to put in another order for a Garand... I haven't even shot the last one that came in a month ago... hahahaha.. Garanditis at it's finest
I did same thing......was ordering a 2nd before I even cleaned the 1st

I just took my new CMP HRA SG to the range for the first time and it shoots great. First 5 rounds, 10 clicks up and it short a 47 on an SR1 @ 100:

IMAG0978.jpg

...then the wife called... Once I put a few more rounds through her it should be shooting real nice. Can't wait until my next one comes it.

Last edited:
I just took my new CMP HRA SG to the range for the first time and it shoots great. First 5 rounds, 10 clicks up and it short a 47 on an SR1 @ 100:

View attachment 81555

...then the wife called... Once I put a few more rounds through her it should be shooting real nice. Can't wait until my next one comes it.

I don't know that sure looks like a 9! To close not to give a little lip on that one.....nice to see.

I hope it's ok to post cap questions here...

I went to a WWII reenactment this weekend and now I seriously want to get into it. Part of the requirement for joining the group I want to is to buy a Garand. The cmp is the best way to do that as far as I can see, but I don't know where to start in getting an M1 from there because they're out of the one I want/can afford. I really want one from the Springfield Armory...any tips on cost/process/wait time? Both until they're back in stock and from order to receiving.

thanks in advance!

Well you will have to wait and see what happens as far as getting what you want.
Honestly the service grade is by far the best value. Place a order now for a HRA service grade if that's all they have. With your order include a note stating you will accept a Springfield if available. The price difference between the rack field and service grade doesn't justify the savings. Remener its going to be st least 4 months before your credit card gets hit. Enoough time to save a few hundred more.
NOW if you need a garand for reenactment you might want to find out if a live firering rifle is ok. At minimum you will have to shoot blanks right. So you need to consider this also. If your just looking for a enactment rifle talk with those that have them and find out where they get them?

Back
Top Bottom