First 1911 with a $800 budget

I picked up 2 of the SW 1911s used for a decent price. 550 and 675 with crimson grip laser.
Down side is the billboard slide graffics roll marks and they are ugly BUT cheap enough and shoots well.
Also don't get to anxious... save a bit more.
There are often many 1911s for sale at good prices.
As much as l like my 1911s (have a SW PC I really like) I have a mutt of a pistol of a Norinco frame thats just fun to shoot. It's well worn and has its share of hard use but just works....picked that up years ago for a few hundred bucks.

It's really hard not to go with what Mr.Derr recommends.

Last edited:
One of my favorites that I own is the RIA also. I paid like $375 for it and use it as my beater. Never a problem.

thanks for all the info I bought a RIA tac fs in 45. Im sure this is my first of many 1911's and the next one will be fancy for now I just really wanted something decent for the range.

thanks for all the info I bought a RIA tac fs in 45. Im sure this is my first of many 1911's and the next one will be fancy for now I just really wanted something decent for the range.
Let us know how it works for you. I've been meaning to get a 1911 forever. My "next purchase" savings envelope has even been labeled "1911 fund" on more than one occasion but I always seem to end up getting a milsurp instead.
I'm not really keen on the SW since it looks too busy to me and I don't care for the fish scale serrations. I've been flip-flopping between a GI style or not, I just have a feeling three dot sights would work better for me. I was leaning towards the Ruger but the Remington deal looks decent. I read up a bit on the RIA ones and they definitely look nice visually, but I don't know anyone that's owned one. I've handled various Sigs at the Pro Shop in NH but if I recall only one or two are on the list and one's a target model. I think they only do series 80 with the firing pin block, too.

If I were in a free state I'd probably get a Colt. Not because they're necessarily any better, just because.
Maybe JMB's ghost can get those 1911s distributed through CMP. I have no expectation of that happening, but one can dream...

it was a tough choice and for me I know my future will hold another 1911 purchase, possibly a sig. For now I just wanted one to shoot, it came down to the RIA and Ruger. I know some will say ruger was better and after adding upgraded sights to the RIA they were both about the same price...RIA was still a few $$ cheaper.

over the last week I watched a lot of reviews on 1911 and my head was spinning, so as the gun was in my hand last night I thought just go cheaper for now and after a while I should know what I do and don't like in a 1911.

I'll toss my $0.02 in here...the SO and myself got Ruger SR1911s (full size)..and they just plain work...
I know I'll get @!$!@#$ for this, but it'll feed more kinds of ammo than my Glock 30!

it was a tough choice and for me I know my future will hold another 1911 purchase, possibly a sig. For now I just wanted one to shoot, it came down to the RIA and Ruger. I know some will say ruger was better and after adding upgraded sights to the RIA they were both about the same price...RIA was still a few $$ cheaper.

over the last week I watched a lot of reviews on 1911 and my head was spinning, so as the gun was in my hand last night I thought just go cheaper for now and after a while I should know what I do and don't like in a 1911.

Congrats, waiting on range report.

Where did you get it?

For a cheap 1911 Right now Remington is a steal. 499 at grabagun. Which is 399 after rebate. Wouldnt really consider RIA as the Remington has better quality (did I just stay that?) RIA runs but is bottom of the barrel in finish. I had an R1, I did have to put in a wolf spring for it to run right, but once I did, it ran like a top....

If I had a full 8 bills to burn a sw eseries by far has the most features and is just plain nice. I love my eseries.

Last edited:
Came on to post that I once asked Greg Derr his thoughts on a decent budget 1911 and he said Remington R1. He beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost bought that but my local shop said one customer had nothing but trouble with his...go figure....

Or..maybe he was referring to the Remington "Enhanced" model....can't recall.

Billboard on the slide is a bit large isn't it?

Yes it is, but that is the only downside from my point of view. I'm willing to look past aesthetics as the lone negative.

I rented a bunch of 1911s in this price range as well as shot those owned by friends. The Magnum Research 1911G was the clear winner for me.

sa-range-officer.jpg Both in 45 and 9 are offered by The Springfield Range Officer and not sure what they are at now for price but I paid 720 3 years ago and has been perfect, smooth and tight

Last edited:

Nice choice. I bought the RIA 2011 tactical a few years ago and I'm very happy with it. After break-in period, the tolerances are perfect..slide has good fit not too tight but not too loose. These guns are made on CNC machines in a modern factory and the quality and reliability means the manufacturing is well done.

Last edited:
Thanks all....I hear you about increasing the budget, BUT...I already did that once and kept thinking about extras I would need so I was really firm on not going over on the total package. My next 1911 will no doubt have a much higher budget, I already know I want a sig and wont settle.

i am thinking desert eagle 1911 4" stainless next ,

wm_9988151.jpg

I highly recommend an AMERICAN CLASSIC II in 45 ACP. It is made in the Philippines and comes with almost all the upgrades that you would send another 1911 away to make it competitive which might save you another $1000. The price will run under $500 at Buds Guns Shop. The one I got from them shot a 7 shot group of 2+1/4" at 25 yards using my leather holster as a rest under the magazine. It shot like this right out of the box and was sighted in also when I got it. The trigger is the best I have ever shot. The only thing I changed was the grips. Read all the reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTrzw4xpKD4

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+AC45G2+1911+American+Classic+II+8+1+45ACP+5"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=american+classic+ii

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=692-000-022

The next one I will get for C/C will be their AMIGO model:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5B+1911+American+Classic+Amigo+7+1+45ACP+3.5"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom