• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms everyone should own:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger Mk II or Mk III

Smith and Wesson J-frame .38
Smith and Wesson .357 (any variety, SS)

[Wonder 9]

1911 (any variety)

AR-15 (any variety)

This is a great list with the addition of an AK varient and a shotty. Just the basics and a true minimum for an enthusiast.

Good thinking, Executive!

Marlin lever gun in .45-70. Great deer rifle under 175 yards. Easy to reload. Will shoot through anything on North America with 4-500 grain bullets.

A .22 rifle (the 10/22 is pretty popular for this)
A .22 revolver (Model 17, 18 or similar)
A .22 semi auto pistol
A pump shotgun
A .38 revolver (Model 10 or variant)
A semi auto pistol in your preferred caliber
A rifle suitable for hunting even if you don't hunt
A J frame Smith and Wesson or equivalent

That's the bare minimum, these are good to have
A SKS or maybe two. In Ray's case 30 or so.
A bolt action Milsurp, or several
A bolt action .22
A second shotgun
A lever action rifle, just for fun
A bolt action of some other caliber

How can one not have an AK variant ? I would add this to the list, and not replace the AR.

Even with todays insane ammo costs they are cheaper to feed and IMHO, more reliable.
Add an SKS for longer range issues.

I would add some 0.500 monster here. Just because they are soooo cool! [smile]
And I agree that AK and SKS should be in the list, because of their reliability.

[dance] thanks for the noobie help
Thanks for this list! I was thinking about asking. My hubby has a number of the long guns mentioned...but since I have contracted this 'condition' I feel the need to add to our collection. I have been on reading a lot, but still have some questions. So, I am going to do some shopping, probably within the week. So, anyone have any input for me regarding price, what to avoid or recommend? Just short simple answers would be great. This is what I am looking for right now.
Ruger 10/22
bolt action type rifle...fired a mosin...that was fun!
maybe the SKS or Enfield?
Lastly...I have no real reason for wanting these...just feel the need to have them. At some point may go hunting and would like to do an appleseed...but nothing presently

Assuming this is a minimalist list as opposed to a "wish list"

Ruger 10/22 - small game hunting, recreation

Remington 870 12ga w/ rifled barrel and 26" bird barrel - small and large game hunting, recreation

1911 45acp- home defense, carry, recreation

S&W model 60 - carry

Remington 700 7mm mag- long range applications, large game hunting, recreation

AR-15 5.56mm in an M-4 configuaration- Home defense, recreation

T/C Omega muzzle loader- Large game hunting, recreation

I saw this thread earlier and was going to comment that the 92f recommendation should be extended to some sort of large cap 9mm. I like my 229.

I need a S&W 627 and a 10/22 one of these days.

As for the AK, somehow they don't do much for me. I prefer my AR and M1A.

My "complete" list consists of:
[Personal preference/taste]

1 - Ruger 10/22. [Houge overmold stock, bull barrel, bipod]

2 - 1911 - [Original G.I. model...no frills]

3 - J-Frame S&W Revolver [.38, hammerless]

3 - Glock 27

4 - AR15 [M4gery]

5 - Remington 870 [18" barrel, Mesa Tactical M4 stock]

6 - Remington 700 [.308, bipod]

If I were starting over, and had to limit myself to "essentials" I would go with (in order of importance):

1. Glock 26 (or other carry gun)
2. AR-15 carbine, with an Aimpoint
3. Remington 870 12-gauge, 18" barrel, 7-round tube
4. Sig P220 (as much as I like my 1911s, this is my favorite .45)
5. Remington 700 in .308 w/ high quality scope
6. Ruger 10/22 (move to top of list for a new shooter)

An AK -- they never jam, and are a reliable rifle in every continent of the world.

yeah i just read a article about the Antarctic Army getting new AK's for defense against New Zealand, theres a lot of skirmishes there over land.

Ok, interesting lists...... but what would be your essentials lists on a budget of $2000? A couple of your "essentials" lists have $2000 in 2 guns!! Unless you can convince my wife and twin boys that I "must" have a S&W 500 and an AR.....

Ok, interesting lists...... but what would be your essentials lists on a budget of $2000? A couple of your "essentials" lists have $2000 in 2 guns!! Unless you can convince my wife and twin boys that I "must" have a S&W 500 and an AR.....

For $2k, I'd get an AR, Ruger .22 pistol (or maybe a S&W .22 revolver) and a 9mm pistol from the classifieds.

Colt 1911 Government Model, doesn't everyone have at least one? .45 of course!
Colt 1911 Compact or Commander, doesn't everyone have at least one? .45 of course!
S&W N-Frame .357 preferably a Model 27 or Model 28
S&W N-Frame .45 preferably a Model 25 or Model 625
S&W K-Frame .357 preferably a Model 19 or Model 66 2.5"
S&W J-Frame .38+P snubby
Rifle, .308/.30-06 (I prefer .30-06) Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc. (scoped)
Rifle, AR .223 (EBR) any kind, scoped or sighted, BUIS enabled
Rifle, .22 Ruger 10/22 (ought to be a crime not to own at least one)
Shotgun, 12 Gauge (your choice, preferably a defensive setup)
Shotgun, 12 Gauge (Hunting convertible, deer and/or turkey)
Ruger, Single Action .44 Magnum, Stainless or blue, 7.5" barrel or longer
Miscellaneous toys: Tupperware 9mm, .32 caliber revo or auto, MilSurp Rifles & Pistols (lots)!

So many needed, so little money...

Last edited:
No mention of an H&K on anyone's list.

That makes me sad. [crying]

Don't be sad, H&K is like Maserati, when somebody says I'm new to driving and need to know which cars I should consider, the GRANTURISMO is hardly ever mentioned in the first conversation.[wink]

The political climate notwithstanding, I'd pass on the AR right now.
For $2000, buy these, in this order, some or all purchased used:

Ruger 10/22............................$200.00
Ruger Mk III..............................350.00
Hi-cap 9mm..............................450.00
j-frame....................................300.00

Next I'd add the shotgun, the .357, and the AR, probably another $2000

Chris

whats with the 10/22?? it seems to be on everyones list! I hadnt even really thought of one, instead looking into a bolt action .17 rifle ( savage or marlin maybe )

whats with the 10/22?? it seems to be on everyones list! I hadnt even really thought of one, instead looking into a bolt action .17 rifle ( savage or marlin maybe )

Inexpensive, reliable, accurate, there is almost no end to how much you can customize it if you wish, ammunition is everywhere and cheap in ammo terms. I just bought a bolt action .17 HMR from MilSurps4Me and it's a nice rifle, but the ammo is much more expensive than .22 so shooting it a lot will cost more.

"Bump in the night" gun ----- Mossberg 500/Maverick 88: $200
"Truck/nightstand gun" Used S&W 4" police trade-in, .357: $350
"Everyday carry piece, practice cheap!" ------- Sig P226: $700
"Zombie/social unrest/SHTF/FUN @ RANGE gun" --- AK-47: $500
"Honing of marksmanship/tin can gun" Marlin/Ruger .22 rifle: $150

A hundred bucks leftover for ammo - not much, but I guess the S&W could wait, the P226 could turn into a P6 for half the price, etc... [grin]

Back
Top Bottom