• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finding a gun friendly doctor

After reading several threads about doctors and guns, I decided to see what would happen if I volunteered the information that I am a gun owner, a target shooter and an instructor. Both my primary care physician and a doctor who treated me for COVID symptoms were like "Oh you're a firearms instructor? That's pretty cool". Neither of them gave me any kind of a hard time and so far nobody from the govt. has come knocking on my door.

Doc hears the Motrin and scotch comments and speaks into the microphone "takes sedatives with heavy alcohol use daily".

That's the problem today Doctors rewording and interpreting how they want the record to stand to support their treatment into the shared database. Once the it's there it can never be erased and your info is being shared.
The Motrin and scotch /sarc takes the place of going to the doc most times. Motrin isn’t a sedative, it’s an NSAID sold over the counter. And scotch is, well, we’ll just call it a delicious refreshment.

After reading several threads about doctors and guns, I decided to see what would happen if I volunteered the information that I am a gun owner, a target shooter and an instructor. Both my primary care physician and a doctor who treated me for COVID symptoms were like "Oh you're a firearms instructor? That's pretty cool". Neither of them gave me any kind of a hard time and so far nobody from the govt. has come knocking on my door.
Don't worry, now there is a box checked somewhere that you own guns.

Become irritated one day and there will be another box checked that you are unstable.

Probably a little extreme. But why volunteer information?

NES really has a hard time shutting the f*ck up.

I hope many of you never find yourselves in a situation where you need a lawyer because you will be telling everything to the cops before the lawyer arrives.

Even at BR&P, the filters can get clogged at which point you won't know what you are being exposed to. They are good about keeping the system running properly, but it can happen.
They could put one of these doohickeys in,
and have the range chair log the reading every month.

I'm not an HVAC guy - maybe they're not the precise things you'd use.
But there's gotta be some turnkey manometer appropriate for end-users.

Doc hears the Motrin and scotch comments and speaks into the microphone "takes sedatives with heavy alcohol use daily".
And if he hears Tylenol and scotch,
he logs, "gonna need a new patient".

(Truth be told, I've met Brocc,
and he's barely cruciferous;
he really rocks the incognito).

They could put one of these doohickeys in,
and have the range chair log the reading every month.

There is a window into the locked closet with the controls in the newer range and if one of the idiot lights is red, it means that the filter is clogged. The club is very good about maintenance. I haven't been a member for 2 years now and hadn't personally used the BR&P indoor ranges in many years.

There is a window into the locked closet with the controls in the newer range and if one of the idiot lights is red, it means that the filter is clogged. The club is very good about maintenance. I haven't been a member for 2 years now and hadn't personally used the BR&P indoor ranges in many years.
Sounds cuspy.

Don't worry, now there is a box checked somewhere that you own guns.
There are plenty of those boxes checked. My police department knows I own guns (they issued my license) the state knows I own guns (all those EFA-10s) the feds know I own guns (all those 4473s).
Become irritated one day and there will be another box checked that you are unstable.
In a good way being a gun owner has actually calmed me down. Knowing that if I lose my temper I could do something really stupid or have my guns confiscated has made me think twice about my behavior.
Probably a little extreme. But why volunteer information?
I am NOT going to be ashamed of something that is a legal right and a hobby / sport / profession that I enjoy responsibly.
When I need to STFU I do so. Like I said I am not going to skulk around like something that lives under a rock because of the hoplophobia.
I hope many of you never find yourselves in a situation where you need a lawyer because you will be telling everything to the cops before the lawyer arrives.

Dude, this is NES, where people go out of their way to try to find the most complicated solution to a non issue. Because saying "NO" when asked if you own guns is too damn easy.
You should include this comment in your signature, particularly the first sentence. If I ever add comments to my sig, this will be one of them, lol. And @drgrant's comment about HighPoints being compressed feces, I always get a chuckle out of that one.

You should include this comment in your signature, particularly the first sentence. If I ever add comments to my sig, this will be one of them, lol. And @drgrant's comment about HighPoints being compressed feces, I always get a chuckle out of that one.
If I add more to my sig, @EddieCoyle might explode.

Although I know he secretly loves the quotes.

Agreed with the gun thing. Unless you you have some strange fetish with loaded magazines I don’t see any medical issue. But I run into similar concern when they ask about smoking. I don’t anymore but I did yet I still say no because the last pricks I want with that info are insurance companies...
A friend recently had his insurance rates triple as he lied about smoking and when they did a health screening, tested him for tobacco. (ha had a cigar at a wedding the week prior. ).

Don't ask, Don't get screened, don't tell.

Sometimes they ask the "do you have any guns" question (I've heard, my doctor didn't ask)

Lead testing. Yes, I can lie about potential exposure vectors like citing fishing weights or stained glass, but I don't like lying because it's too hard to keep track of the lies.
Renovating old house with a lead paint disclosure. Works too.

A friend recently had his insurance rates triple as he lied about smoking and when they did a health screening, tested him for tobacco. (ha had a cigar at a wedding the week prior. ).

Don't ask, Don't get screened, don't tell.
If it is if life insurance, "conveniently forgetting" something like this can cause any claim to be challenged within the first two years of policy issuance. After two years, it cannot and you don't even have a suicide exclusion ... so plan ahead.

I've heard of health screening/blood/urine samples for life insurance but not for medical. Which kind of insurance was this? And, if an insurance company requires screening for a policy it is "don't buy that policy", not "don't get screened".

If it is if life insurance, "conveniently forgetting" something like this can cause any claim to be challenged within the first two years of policy issuance. After two years, it cannot and you don't even have a suicide exclusion ... so plan ahead.

I've heard of health screening/blood/urine samples for life insurance but not for medical. Which kind of insurance was this? And, if an insurance company requires screening for a policy it is "don't buy that policy", not "don't get screened".
Not life insurance. He did a screening for a $1200 cash if he passes employer driven feature/stunt .
Doesn't smoke habitually. True statement.
Had one cigar a few days before the screen.
Instafail.
Didn't get the $1200 cash bonus for getting screened.
Next paycheck, his rate went from $270/check to over $800.

Not life insurance. He did a screening for a $1200 cash if he passes employer driven feature/stunt .
Doesn't smoke habitually. True statement.
Had one cigar a few days before the screen.
Instafail.
Didn't get the $1200 cash bonus for getting screened.
Next paycheck, his rate went from $270/check to over $800.
Gotcha, so it was probably not a change in the insurance rate but in the employer subsidy. Some really big companies self-insure and the carrier you see when paying is really just a payment/claim processing service and the employer gets billed for the sum of all claims plus an admin fee.

My employer offers a $700ish annual increase in the subsidy for some activity which varies from year to year. One year it was screening (form from your own MD was OK); most recently I had to choose an "activity" - I visited a website every to be told about how to walk for better health and got the credit. I don't know what it will be next year but it will be something.

Not a physician, but probably the most gun-friendly dentist you'll meet in Springfield, MA area :)
Hell, last year I traded 16 Ga #8 for Dental Work. I had a Crown come loose that had been done 25 years ago and Crowns ain't cheap. I didn't want to lose it so I took the .357 Bore Brush that was in my desk, out of it's plastic tube and put it in there. After they reapplied the Crown the Hygienist came running out as I was leaving saying "You forgot your Bore Brush tube". People in the waiting room kinda had that WTF look.

My Dr. Retired last month, kinda bummed.

Why would it matter? Only an issue if you have a psych history. If you don't want it in the chart, don't disclose it. Lying to docs ain't nothing new. I'm sure most people drink more than they disclose to their doc

My Dr asked me who ordered the lead test when I asked one of the girls to write it up because I forgot to ask her. I told her I did. When asked why I replied I did because I do a lot of shooting indoors on a pistol team and outdoors shooting trap also on a team. Concord R&G had a small poorly ventilated indoor range and the whiffs of all that burning gunpowder outside smells sooooo damn good.

She never batted an eye. If she did I wouldn't still be there. I'm sure she knew I was a gun owner to begin with anyway as I don't hide it very well and don't care.
We are not lepers you know.

shooting trap? its not like your touching the lead pellets....

I had a Crown come loose that had been done 25 years ago and Crowns ain't cheap. I didn't want to lose it so I took the .357 Bore Brush that was in my desk, out of it's plastic tube and put it in there.
You had me thinking you cleaned the cavity with a bore brush... [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom