• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finding a gun friendly doctor

Unless you arrive at the doctors office with a gunshot wound, why would a gun conversation ever come up at a doctors visit ?

Except of course if you are one of those people steers any conversation into guns within 30 seconds, or your whole identity revolves around guns and gun things and you can't help yourself.

Sometimes they ask the "do you have any guns" question (I've heard, my doctor didn't ask)

Lead testing. Yes, I can lie about potential exposure vectors like citing fishing weights or stained glass, but I don't like lying because it's too hard to keep track of the lies.

Sometimes they ask the "do you have any guns" question (I've heard, my doctor didn't ask)

Lead testing. Yes, I can lie about potential exposure vectors like citing fishing weights or stained glass, but I don't like lying because it's too hard to keep track of the lies.

Just say no if they do ask.

It's not hard.

Just make it a habit to not tell anyone you own guns, why advertise ?

C'mon man !

HI doctor I am into a lot of sport shooting,and since the ammo contains lead..
I would like to get tested to make sure I am ok. That's all you have to say to any
doctor it's no big deal.The only thing that you never say to them is that your
depressed.

Man some of you guys and the shit you worry about. lol Goddamn bunch of old women.
No offense but grow a pair. WGAF what your Dr thinks about anything other than what’s ailing you at the moment.
Motrin. Water. Socks. Foot powder. Zero co-pay.

It’s 100% none of your Drs business what hobby’s or sports you partake in. If you can’t muster the gumption to laugh inside a little “IF” he ever asks, or find a way to get your worried lead test done without mentioning gunz and/or tell him ‘Nope, not me’, then double up on the Motrin and have a glass of scotch.

The only places I shoot indoors are Mass Rifle and Woburn Sportsmen's.

Both clubs put a lot of work into maintaining their air handlers, both have HEPA filters. WSA does smoke tests to make sure the airflow is correct. I don't know if MRA does that, but subjectively, the airflow is consistently downrange and not floating around the shooters' heads.

In February of '19, based on other people at MRA wearing respirators and some people at WSA not shooting indoors, both because of high lead levels, I got tested. I was at 10mcg/dL.
The "we should do something about that" level is 5.

Six months later I was at 8.

In 2020 I did far less shooting, and almost none of it was indoors. In January, I was at 3.

So, I'm getting lead exposure *somewhere*, and the most likely culprit is something gun related.

Because I was shooting a lot less, I also was reloading a lot less (almost none), and I changed my case prep routine by moving the entire process outside. I used to do it in the basement or garage. I did this because primers have lead compounds in them, and I didn't want to risk getting that shit into the air where I could breathe it.

Now, I don't know for sure where my exposure was; it might have been either of the ranges (their filters aren't as good as they think) or from reloading (case prep) but I *DO* know that until I figure it out, I really want to keep on top of my lead levels.

Yea, or I could say I do stained glass with lead caming.

But I'd rather not have to lie to my doctor. One lie can lead to another if he asks to see my stained glass or starts talking about fishing. That's not a great relationship to have with someone with whom you need to have open unfiltered conversations with generally.
When he asks how many drinks you drink daily, what do you say?

... because primers have lead compounds in them, and I didn't want to risk getting that shit into the air where I could breathe it.
If your primer cooties are jumpin',
@Broccoli Iglesias will take that hazmat off your hands.

... don't want to have a relationship with my doctor where I feel like I have to lie to him if it comes up.
i-dont-ask-why-patients-lie-i-just-assume-they-all-do.jpg

Man some of you guys and the shit you worry about. lol Goddamn bunch of old women.
No offense but grow a pair. WGAF what your Dr thinks about anything other than what’s ailing you at the moment.
Motrin. Water. Socks. Foot powder. Zero co-pay.

It’s 100% none of your Drs business what hobby’s or sports you partake in. If you can’t muster the gumption to laugh inside a little “IF” he ever asks, or find a way to get your worried lead test done without mentioning gunz and/or tell him ‘Nope, not me’, then double up on the Motrin and have a glass of scotch.
Dude, this is NES, where people go out of their way to try to find the most complicated solution to a non issue. Because saying "NO" when asked if you own guns is too damn easy.

My doctor, who I've had for a million billion years, is retiring.

That means I need to find a new GP / PCP.

What questions do you ask a doctor to find out if he/she is of he "OMG NO GUNS NO NO NO!!!" type, or the "Look, I don't care, and I'm not going to report you to anyone" type?

I don't care if my doctor is a gun enthusiast, or even that he/she approves of guns. I just don't want to get on some list because they type everything into the system.

For example, my old doctor was perfectly happy to put "works with stained glass" in the records when I asked for a lead test.
my doc has never asked and I'll never tell.

My doctors don't care. If it bothers you that much, don't carry when you go to the doctor and if he asks, lie and say you don't have any.

never had this come up. My doc back in MA I had since I was 16 and he was awesome. Never asked any of that retarded shit and never pushed flu shots on me.

When I moved to CA I figured I'd be dealing with this shit but nope, my new doc here seems great so far and "are there guns in the house" has never been asked.

If it did ever come up I'd just politely answer with "I'm here for your expertise in biology not social policy so let's stick to that please". If pressed I'd then probably just walk out and go find a new doc.

never had this come up. My doc back in MA I had since I was 16 and he was awesome. Never asked any of that retarded shit and never pushed flu shots on me.

When I moved to CA I figured I'd be dealing with this shit but nope, my new doc here seems great so far and "are there guns in the house" has never been asked.

If it did ever come up I'd just politely answer with "I'm here for your expertise in biology not social policy so let's stick to that please". If pressed I'd then probably just walk out and go find a new doc.
Lol. What is the problem with saying a simple "NO"?

Now, I don't know for sure where my exposure was; it might have been either of the ranges (their filters aren't as good as they think) or from reloading (case prep) but I *DO* know that until I figure it out, I really want to keep on top of my lead levels.

There was an issue at Woburn for a while in 2019. The handlers fell into disrepair and weren't working correctly. After some of the members brought it up in meetings a lot of attention and expense was put in by the Board to correct everything including hiring a new company to come in to do testing, make repairs and balance the system and improve cleaning procedures.

During that time I got tested as some of the other IDPA people had levels in the 20s. I was at 13 ug/dL and my Doctor wanted me to get it under 10. I had already been practicing hygiene with D-Lead wipes and hand soaps prior but decided to stop shooting indoors. My levels did go back down. I recently bought a respirator and plan to use it whenever shooting indoors.

IDK...I'd not make a scene over it but by answering yes or no you're telling him that you're ok with the question. I'm not ok with the question. This shit gains more and more traction due to people's indifference.
I'm less OK with outing myself as a gun owner to someone with power over me
for no tangible benefit whatsoever.

'Gun Friendly' is low on my list for evaluating a PCP.

If they ask you about guns either lie or tell you tat you take gun safety seriously and always lock up your guns. That's all they're looking for. Mark the check box.

If you have a concern about lead levels in your blood, explain why you have a concern and want the test. It's no different then telling them why you, a 60 year old straight married male wants to be screened for STIs. Act normal. It's their job not to judge.

My PCP was gun friendly (actually, he wanted guns, but his wife wasn't going to allow it). Lead test for someone my age are very unusual, so I still had to explain it.

People who shoot on shitty/marginal indoor club ranges like to get lead tests. That’s about the only legit route of poisoning as a shooter...
So is casting bullets. I watched a friend do it in his driveway . . . and then the wind shifted and the sweet smell headed in my direction.

I was a member of Sharon F&G for 24 yrs and they had no indoor ventilation system, just a large fan for output but had blocked the input completely. See my below comment.
LOL I don't know about you but I don't like coughing up black soot phlegm and dark boogers after a range visit. Bad range ventilation is not good for anyones health.
I originally shot there indoors and they only allowed lead bullets. I'd be the only person in a 16 lane range and would be blowing black boogers for 4 days after shooting. It was a large reason why I stopped shooting indoors there and quit the club, going to Braintree R&P who has HEPA system on the indoor range. Even at BR&P, the filters can get clogged at which point you won't know what you are being exposed to. They are good about keeping the system running properly, but it can happen.

About PCPs, I've had two over the years. My first one lived in the same town, knew I was a part-time police officer and thus knew that I owned guns. I did ask him to do a lead test one time and as he explained, the insurance company requires a reason.

My current PCP is at Faulkner-Hyde Park. When asked what I do, I told him that I was a firearms instructor and that led to an interesting conversation. His Father is a doctor in Germany and my PCP has gone hunting and some other shooting over many years. Not an issue.

I'm less OK with outing myself as a gun owner to someone with power over me
for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
To each his own. The fags and trannies got all their rights by being all loud and proud. I'm not hiding in the shadows. Anyone that's upset about my gun ownership can suck my nuts.

I'd ask them straight up if you care. In an emergent hospital setting, you get the doc that you get. In an outpatient setting, you have every right to pick your doctor based upon whatever criteria you want. I don't normally broach the subject with patients (I only work in hospitals), but I've met some really cool members of the firearms community as well through work. I agree with others that for nearly all healthcare decisions it is irrelevant and will never come up, though the ACP (American College of Physicians) absolutely hates guns and sends out non-binding directives to harass patients about guns every 3-5 years.

In my experience, internists generally lean more anti-gun while surgeons, particularly orthopedic surgeons, tend to be very gun friendly. One of our ophthalmologists carried his medical gear in a camo bag (he loved hunting ducks like he loved his kids), and I've met anesthesiologists who kept NRA stickers on their anesthesia machines. For my part, I only ever bring it up if the person has come in as 1) actively suicidal or 2) with a gunshot wound due to poor safety practices (i.e. all of them), which gets a talk about temporarily removing guns from the house for (1) or a lecture on Cooper's 4 Rules for (2).

When he asks how many drinks you drink daily, what do you say?

Doc hears the Motrin and scotch comments and speaks into the microphone "takes sedatives with heavy alcohol use daily".

That's the problem today Doctors rewording and interpreting how they want the record to stand to support their treatment into the shared database. Once the it's there it can never be erased and your info is being shared.

IDK...I'd not make a scene over it but by answering yes or no you're telling him that you're ok with the question. I'm not ok with the question. This shit gains more and more traction due to people's indifference.
But you are outing yourself. By complicating it, you are telling him you have guns.

Why do you feel the need to talk guns with your doctor ?
Well, cuz he asked me for shotgun recommendations when he and his son got into shooting clays.
I took his college age son shooting for the first time and wrote one of his BS letters of recommendation.

My Doc is pretty cool...
Doc: If you don't watch your blood sugar and eat better, we are going to have to look at medication. You are pre-diabetic.
Me: If I take the medication, can I still eat peanut M&M's?
Doc: No, you f***in ass hole, you can't eat peanut M&M's
Me: OK, I will start eating more salads.

And just like that. My blood sugar came within acceptable levels. The wonders of modern medicine.

Back
Top Bottom