finding a gun friendly doctor

milktree

NES Member
My doctor, who I've had for a million billion years, is retiring.

That means I need to find a new GP / PCP.

What questions do you ask a doctor to find out if he/she is of he "OMG NO GUNS NO NO NO!!!" type, or the "Look, I don't care, and I'm not going to report you to anyone" type?

I don't care if my doctor is a gun enthusiast, or even that he/she approves of guns. I just don't want to get on some list because they type everything into the system.

For example, my old doctor was perfectly happy to put "works with stained glass" in the records when I asked for a lead test.

why do you need the lead test? you did not spend your childhood fishing and biting the lead all the time? what the heck is this local obsession with lead?
People who shoot on shitty/marginal indoor club ranges like to get lead tests. That’s about the only legit route of poisoning as a shooter...

Have you considered just not telling him you’re a gun owner if he asks? You’re making an easy thing very complicated.

Agreed with the gun thing. Unless you you have some strange fetish with loaded magazines I don’t see any medical issue. But I run into similar concern when they ask about smoking. I don’t anymore but I did yet I still say no because the last pricks I want with that info are insurance companies...

People who shoot on shitty/marginal indoor club ranges like to get lead tests. That’s about the only legit route of poisoning as a shooter...
Yup, Years ago I asked my old PCP about a lead test and when he asked why I though I needed one I told him. He asked if I washed my hands after handling bullets, I said yup. He said as long as you do that and keep your fingers out of your mouth you should be ok, don't eat or smoke while handling stuff etc. Then we talked about how dumb, but great dogs Labs are. I miss that Doc.

If we assume that the roughly $36,000/year loan payment is accurate, that increases yearly dues by approximately $120 for each of the 300 members (300 member cap, according to the website). Current membership is $100, so it would more than double the cost, and this assumes you don't lose any members due to the price increase.

why do you need the lead test? you did not spend your childhood fishing and biting the lead all the time? what the heck is this local obsession with lead?

Yup, Years ago I asked my old PCP about a lead test and when he asked why I though I needed one I told him. He asked if I washed my hands after handling bullets, I said yup. He said as long as you do that and keep your fingers out of your mouth you should be ok, don't eat or smoke while handling stuff etc. Then we talked about how dumb, but great dogs Labs are. I miss that Doc.

The only places I shoot indoors are Mass Rifle and Woburn Sportsmen's.

Both clubs put a lot of work into maintaining their air handlers, both have HEPA filters. WSA does smoke tests to make sure the airflow is correct. I don't know if MRA does that, but subjectively, the airflow is consistently downrange and not floating around the shooters' heads.

In February of '19, based on other people at MRA wearing respirators and some people at WSA not shooting indoors, both because of high lead levels, I got tested. I was at 10mcg/dL.
The "we should do something about that" level is 5.

Six months later I was at 8.

In 2020 I did far less shooting, and almost none of it was indoors. In January, I was at 3.

So, I'm getting lead exposure *somewhere*, and the most likely culprit is something gun related.

Because I was shooting a lot less, I also was reloading a lot less (almost none), and I changed my case prep routine by moving the entire process outside. I used to do it in the basement or garage. I did this because primers have lead compounds in them, and I didn't want to risk getting that shit into the air where I could breathe it.

Now, I don't know for sure where my exposure was; it might have been either of the ranges (their filters aren't as good as they think) or from reloading (case prep) but I *DO* know that until I figure it out, I really want to keep on top of my lead levels.

“I cast lead fishing sinkers as a hobby.” If you really need a dodge.

Yea, or I could say I do stained glass with lead caming.

But I'd rather not have to lie to my doctor. One lie can lead to another if he asks to see my stained glass or starts talking about fishing. That's not a great relationship to have with someone with whom you need to have open unfiltered conversations with generally.

My Dr asked me who ordered the lead test when I asked one of the girls to write it up because I forgot to ask her. I told her I did. When asked why I replied I did because I do a lot of shooting indoors on a pistol team and outdoors shooting trap also on a team. Concord R&G had a small poorly ventilated indoor range and the whiffs of all that burning gunpowder outside smells sooooo damn good.

She never batted an eye. If she did I wouldn't still be there. I'm sure she knew I was a gun owner to begin with anyway as I don't hide it very well and don't care.
We are not lepers you know.

it is not 5. it is 50.

The current reference range for acceptable blood lead concentrations in healthy persons without excessive exposure to environmental sources of lead is less than 5 µg/dL for children.[8] It was less than 25 µg/dL for adults.[184] Previous to 2012 the value for children was 10 (µg/dl).[185] Lead-exposed workers in the U.S. are required to be removed from work when their level is greater than 50 µg/dL if they do construction and otherwise greater than 60 µg/dL.[186]

The only places I shoot indoors are Mass Rifle and Woburn Sportsmen's.

Both clubs put a lot of work into maintaining their air handlers, both have HEPA filters. WSA does smoke tests to make sure the airflow is correct. I don't know if MRA does that, but subjectively, the airflow is consistently downrange and not floating around the shooters' heads.

In February of '19, based on other people at MRA wearing respirators and some people at WSA not shooting indoors, both because of high lead levels, I got tested. I was at 10mcg/dL.

Six months later I was at 8.

In 2020 I did far less shooting, and almost none of it was indoors. In January, I was at 3.

So, I'm getting lead exposure *somewhere*, and the most likely culprit is something gun related.

Because I was shooting a lot less, I also was reloading a lot less (almost none), and I changed my case prep routine by moving the entire process outside. I used to do it in the basement or garage. I did this because primers have lead compounds in them, and I didn't want to risk getting that shit into the air where I could breathe it.

Now, I don't know for sure where my exposure was; it might have been either of the ranges (their filters aren't as good as they think) or from reloading (case prep) but I *DO* know that until I figure it out, I really want to keep on top of my lead levels.

Yea, or I could say I do stained glass with lead caming.

But I'd rather not have to lie to my doctor. One lie can lead to another if he asks to see my stained glass or starts talking about fishing. That's not a great relationship to have with someone with whom you need to have open unfiltered conversations with generally.

What standard was being used? If you were at 8ug/dl. That’s basically slightly above nothing.

What standard was being used? If you were at 8ug/dl. That’s basically slightly above nothing.

I don't agree:

some highlights:

0.92µg/dL is the average among adults in '15-'16
5µg/dL is "case definition for an elevated BLL"
10µg/dL is "ACOEM and CDPH recommends BLL testing every two months"

So, I'm going with "as close to zero as I can reasonably get".

it is not 5. it is 50.

The current reference range for acceptable blood lead concentrations in healthy persons without excessive exposure to environmental sources of lead is less than 5 µg/dL for children.[8] It was less than 25 µg/dL for adults.[184] Previous to 2012 the value for children was 10 (µg/dl).[185] Lead-exposed workers in the U.S. are required to be removed from work when their level is greater than 50 µg/dL if they do construction and otherwise greater than 60 µg/dL.[186]

"required to be removed from work" is absolutely *NOT* the same thing as "healthy", or "desirable", or "safe"

Then don’t shoot indoors, without ditching that, you’re likely never getting that low. Round Gun Shooter (he uses his uspsa # as a handle now, but I can’t remember what it is) actually had lead problems but his numbers were way higher than “8” if I recall. WRT lead there’s an enormous amount of faggotry with this subject. (On both sides, between the worriers, and including clubs flinting on ventilation and cleaning). You can eliminate most exposure by staying outside if it’s a big deal. Back when i had researched this issue the only people who had lead issues from shooting were people that shot frequently indoors or practically hibernated on poor indoor ranges. Stay outside and the problem goes away. I think RGS used a respirator and some other stuff, but frankly if i had to do that, i’m not shooting indoors.

"required to be removed from work" is absolutely *NOT* the same thing as "healthy", or "desirable", or "safe"
i do not argue with proponents of dying healthy, be my guest, but do not harass everybody else with this bullshit.

1617890584821.png

this was pretty much same where i was born, everybody lived like that. bullshit american regulations made for insurance companies are not the reason to lose your head over it.

i do not argue with proponents of dying healthy, be my guest, but do not harass everybody else with this bullshit.

"harass"? Seriously? I'm not dictating to anyone else what they do. If you don't like my personal choices about what I do with my own body, then probably don't read or respond to a thread started by me.

"harass"? Seriously? I'm not dictating to anyone else what they do. If you don't like my personal choices about what I do with my own body, then probably don't read or respond to a thread started by me.
people do make such an imaginary hazard a nuisance for the everybody else around them. you not gonna get sick from the fumes of your gun. and you do not need hepa filters in the range. you do not need a f#cking building code with mandatory paint tests and regulations. this is all bullshit made into a freaking religion by obsessed individuals and then gratefully picked up by insurance industry to make a profit of.

View attachment 470200

this was pretty much same where i was born, everybody lived like that. bullshit american regulations made for insurance companies are not the reason to lose your head over it.
Lol i think over 25+ or so is "not good", ' frankly, but under 10 isn't much of anything. It's highly subjective based on who is making the judgment call. I never knew anyone with lead based health issues that was pinging out below like 35+ upon diagnosis, so there's that..

My doctor, who I've had for a million billion years, is retiring.

That means I need to find a new GP / PCP.

What questions do you ask a doctor to find out if he/she is of he "OMG NO GUNS NO NO NO!!!" type, or the "Look, I don't care, and I'm not going to report you to anyone" type?

I don't care if my doctor is a gun enthusiast, or even that he/she approves of guns. I just don't want to get on some list because they type everything into the system.

For example, my old doctor was perfectly happy to put "works with stained glass" in the records when I asked for a lead test.

Why do you feel the need to talk guns with your doctor ?

people do make such an imaginary hazard a nuisance for the everybody else around them. you not gonna get sick from the fumes of your gun. and you do not need hepa filters in the range. you do not need a f#cking building code with mandatory paint tests and regulations. this is all bullshit made into a freaking religion by obsessed individuals and then gratefully picked up by insurance industry to make a profit of.
LOL I don't know about you but I don't like coughing up black soot phlegm and dark boogers after a range visit. Bad range ventilation is not good for anyones health.

Lol i think over 25+ or so is "not good", ' frankly, but under 10 isn't much of anything. It's highly subjective based on who is making the judgment call. I never knew anyone with lead based health issues that was pinging out below like 35+ upon diagnosis, so there's that..
the rest of the world except norway and sweden is supposed to be long dead then. guess what - it is not. :) in any urban area with actual industry polluting the air level of lead are incomparable with what the local "regulations" are. as well as lead white paint was around for generations, and never harmed anybody.

but, it is a lost cause. i understand.

I don't. But don't want to have a relationship with my doctor where I feel like I have to lie to him if it comes up.

Unless you arrive at the doctors office with a gunshot wound, why would a gun conversation ever come up at a doctors visit ?

Except of course if you are one of those people steers any conversation into guns within 30 seconds, or your whole identity revolves around guns and gun things and you can't help yourself.

No offense, but I think that making important decisions regarding your health shouldn't revolve around whether or not the doctor likes Marvel or DC comics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom