Finally a Cloverleaf!!!!

Rockrivr1

NES Member
While I can do pretty well shooting accurately, I've never actually had a true cloverleaf. That is until this past weekend. Not only a cloverleaf, but a cloverleaf at 200 yards!!! Can I just say that I was pretty damn happy about it as it was not an easy feat at all.

I hit the range last Saturday as I had finally received my new Gen II FFP Vortex Viper PST in 5x25-50mm w/ their EBR-2C Reticle (MRAD). I ordered it back in January, it just came in last week and I mounted it on my Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 using Vortex 1.46" high rings. Overall a very solid setup.

I had bore-sighted the gun at home, so I knew I was on paper. Using Qmmo's 147gr FMJBT ammo, running a muzzle velocity of 2650, I easily zeroed at 50 yards, which made it easier to do the zero at 100, were I set the Zero-Stop. 200 yards was a little more difficult to zero, but once I had it dialed in I went for the three shot group.

As I said above it was not easy. I could see my pulse in the reticle that was set for maximum magnification. Trying to keep everything steady, slow breath out and squeeze. 3 very slow and meticulous shots. While I was ecstatic at the results, it's not really what I call fun. From that I went to shooting the 200 yard steel targets. I didn't need to be as precise and watching the steel move was a lot more fun. Though it's good to know I can narrow the group with this setup if I needed too. Very happy with this rifle/optic setup.

What was your first cloverleaf?

37836174262_749b4cfde1_b.jpg

37157525744_8e899fe06a_b.jpg

#shoulda bought a 700...lol

nice shooting...i just have a personal vendetta with Ruger.

- - - Updated - - -

and FTR, i'm still waiting for mine. i'm breaking in my Remington 85200 barrel currently one shot at a time and will be shooting my first 'group' (hopefully) this weekend if all goes as planned.

At 200? I'd call that a cloverleaf. [smile]

First for me with a Windham VEX at 100 yards. A friend of mine helped me use benchrest techniques to develop extremely accurate loads for that rifle.

I’ve been wanting one of those precision rifles for awhile now, and you just reminded me of it again, thanks... now my wallet is going to take another hit...[rolleyes] Oh well... and very nice shooting btw![smile]

Back
Top Bottom