Feel weird carrying

Well as some of you saw I got my restrictions removed so i picked up my new copy of my ltc this afternoon. so i decided to carry my 228 to walmart and a few other places. i had to go tonight and i kept thinking that someone was going to see my gun. but no one did i guess it was all in my head but i will feel more comfortable when I get my Glaco summer carry. now the only thing im wondering is to carry one in the pipe or not too.

carry around your house to break in the holster...

i know this topic has been beaten to death before... but I'll answer anyway [laugh]

1. no one can see it; your just paranoid. it will fade with time

2. always carry in the ready.... the last thing you need to be worried about is racking the slide. if you are NOT comfortable, I suggest getting another pistol w / an exteral safety...

-go out and shoot a good 1k rounds through the thing and get familiar with the trigger, the rest and the pull to enhance your confidence that the gun will NOT go BANG unless you pull the trigger.

my .02

best wishes

carry around your house to break in the holster...

i know this topic has been beaten to death before... but I'll answer anyway [laugh]

1. no one can see it; your just paranoid. it will fade with time

2. always carry in the ready.... the last thing you need to be worried about is racking the slide. if you are NOT comfortable, I suggest getting another pistol w / an exteral safety...

-go out and shoot a good 1k rounds through the thing and get familiar with the trigger, the rest and the pull to enhance your confidence that the gun will NOT go BANG unless you pull the trigger.

my .02

best wishes

thank you i was going to carry ready the gun has a heavy trigger pull

"the rest" should read "the re-set"

correction...

like I said, firing off a good 1000 rounds never hurts! it's plain old familiarization.

I hope it's a 9mm! LOL

Absolutely carry one in the pipe.

get a good inside the pants holster with retention

If you don't carry one in the pipe, you need to get the gun out of the holster, chamber a round, get the sights lined up and squeeze... and it takes longer than you think. Normally the 21 foot rule applies to a loaded gun with someone charging you. Think of how much more time and distance you need to perform more than unholster, aim and fire.

Just my 2 cents.. YMMV

Absolutely carry one in the pipe.

get a good inside the pants holster with retention

If you don't carry one in the pipe, you need to get the gun out of the holster, chamber a round, get the sights lined up and squeeze... and it takes longer than you think. Normally the 21 foot rule applies to a loaded gun with someone charging you. Think of how much more time and distance you need to perform more than unholster, aim and fire.

Just my 2 cents.. YMMV

+1

It takes a while to get used to carrying concealed. No one will notice that you are carrying as long as you use a good holster, clothes that are a bit loose, and don't telegraph that you are carrying. Some people that carry, especially those that are new at it, tend to "check" to make sure that the gun is still there and concealed. Doing that draws attention to the fact that you are concealing something. Be conscious of that and try to avoid it.

Finding a comfortable holster that conceals well is a hit or miss proposition. That's why so many of us have stacks of slightly used holsters for sale. :)

Yes, always carry with a chambered round. I'd recommend carrying with the safety off, too.

I have the exact opposite problem, I had a meeting tonight at the local High School which means no carry. Once you get use to carry you will feel lost when you don't. It will take time but it will come.

I have the exact opposite problem, I had a meeting tonight at the local High School which means no carry. Once you get use to carry you will feel lost when you don't. It will take time but it will come.

I second that remark.... Not carrying once you are use to carrying is weird.

Why wouldn't you carry with a round chambered? Any reason not to? Just curious.

Carry something in thunderwear or a smartcarry for a few days with a loaded round and let me know whatcha think :)

Unless it's near my junk there's a round in the chamber.

Agreed. I'm about to leave for a vacation where I can't carry (didn't get my paperwork in the mail soon enough, and I'll probably be drinking anyway). It's going to be weird. Of course, I'm gonna make up for it with 4 days at Frontsight.

1. I ain't carrying nothing near my junk.

2. I feel the same wether I carry or NOT - but that's probably because I don't normally carry during the week, unless I'm going somewhere other than home - work....

-so it's probably just me......

from my perspective, I was more likely to start some caca BEFORE I got my LTC-A in MA - historically of course...[smile]

nowadays, I have to play wuss when I have a gun.

oh my! LOL

I use a Smartcarry as one of my carry options... and all jokes aside... there's really nothing that can get into the trigger area to actuate the trigger while carrying. It's actually a GREAT way of conceal carrying.

[popcorn]

Well as some of you saw I got my restrictions removed so i picked up my new copy of my ltc this afternoon. so i decided to carry my 228 to walmart and a few other places. i had to go tonight and i kept thinking that someone was going to see my gun. but no one did i guess it was all in my head but i will feel more comfortable when I get my Glaco summer carry. now the only thing im wondering is to carry one in the pipe or not too.

I posted a similar thread not all that long ago (maybe march) when I started carrying. That weird feeling will go away pretty quick once it becomes a habit. I don't even think about it now, and all summer I was carrying a fullsize M&P40 IWB under just a t-shirt. Just be cautious when reaching up high on shelves at stores and what not. All you need is a good holster that works well for you and conceals well. No one can tell unless you slip up and broadcast it.

Last edited:
I'll second (or third) what some others have said, carry around the house to get used to it. I not only did this when I started carrying, but twice since when I've changed carry guns. You'll quickly learn it takes a very observant person to spot most CCW, and being at home also gives you the opportunity to adjust the holster frequently until you find a spot that works. Congrats on lifting the restrictions, enjoy your new found piece of mind.

Very good point!

I have found that most people who carry without a chambered round do so for one of two reasons. Firstly, that's what they were trained to do in some military / LEO / pseudo LEO groups ( not in the USA I may add). Secondly, they are just unsure of their abilities with the firearm and are worried about an accidental discharge.

Either causes are curable with practice ( I know, I'm cured myself). Always carry one in the pipe. You may get injured in your support arm before you can rack the slide, and unless you've been trained / practiced one hand loading, you are royally screwed.

Carry

I'll fourth that.

I never leave my house unarmed, I won't go to places that I can't carry.

If you have a good belt and holster then it will be comfortable for EDC, although, despite what some people say, you will always know it's there.

Keep in mind so many people are so caught up in their own world they don't notice shit. (See my Avatar) 90% of the people you will encounter will have no clue.
Call Mitch Rosen and invest in one of his rigs. You won`t regret it.

If you feel uneasy carrying with a round in the chamber, CCW for a week/month/whatever with a round in the chamber. At the end of that time period count how many times the striker/hammer has "accidentally" been dropped/released. I can already tell you what the answer will be.

To simply get used to carrying I carried at home with an unloaded chamber. Whenever I felt like it I would practice drawing and re-holstering, just to get muscle memory. Never once have I found my G19 discharged without intention. This really helped give me confidence that the only its going off without intent is a major f***up.

Also get an MTAC, its easily worth twice its price. I can fall asleep laying on it.

I think one of the funniest things that nearly all male gun owners agree upon is that our natural genital-protection insticts are not happy with a loaded gun pointed at our junk no matter how sure we are that the gun will not go off on its own. No mater how irrational it is, your balls will always win the argument when you ask them "Can i store this gun pointed at you? i swear it won't go off." :)

from my perspective, I was more likely to start some caca BEFORE I got my LTC-A in MA - historically of course...[smile]

nowadays, I have to play wuss when I have a gun.

oh my! LOL

I know how you feel. But don't think of it as having to be a wuss. We have a responsibility as gun owners to be level headed and diffuse confrontational situations, when possible. I can think of many times when some a-hole deserved a punch in the nose, but I don't feel like losing my hobby and right to carry over some jerk.

And yes, It was strange to carry at first. Years later it's strange to not have that little weight on my hip.

Back
Top Bottom