Feedback on the Beretta 92FS

Hey gents. I've been thinking about my next handgun purchase and want a good quality compliment to my 1911's. Almost decided on a 9mm and like the looks of the Beretta 92FS.

One of my NY buds commented when I asked him about the gun as follows " When I was in the market for a 9mm i looked at and shot FS92, P99, HK, Glock and SIG. I hated the angle of Glocks handle to the barrel, just wasn't comfortable for me. 92 was a fine shooting pistol, BUT, the nandle was too slim for my hand and when you shoot it, there is a lot of clockwise torque in the recoil, trying to twist the gun out of your hand. I ended up with P99 6-7 years ago (turned out to be the best price) and I am a verry happy customer."

Does anyone here have experience shooting this model and have you experienced this torque issue as described?

The 92FS grip was too SLIM? Even the Vertec isn't all that slim. Maybe he should get a Glock 21.

Anyhow, yes, I've seen the clockwise twist in many guns in the hands of novice shooters anticipating recoil. Other than that, no. All rifled guns will torque some. Grip correctly and shooting a 92FS is like driving a big old Caddy.

Complaining about recoil of a heavy full-sized 9mm? [laugh]

The 92FS is a great gun, I have never heard that the grip was too slim, ususlly I hear the exact opposite. The 92 shots great,virtually 100% relaible, easy to break down and clean,high cap mags are easy to find.

Another fan here of the 92FS. Great guns. A bit big for a 9mm (your friend must have huge hands if he thinks the Beretta's grips are "slim"), but very accurate, very reliable and a joy to shoot.

It's an easy pistol to work on and spare parts are readily available. As others have noted, there are probably millions of pre-ban mags floating around out there.

No idea what your friend is talking about regarding the clockwise torque - can't say as though I've ever noticed that phenomenon. Check out some youtube videos of Ben Stoeger - he uses a Beretta in USPSA competition. He certainly doesn't seem to be affected by any supposed torque.

I would take a Beretta 92FS over your friends P99 any day of the week.

First handgun I purchased was the 92FS. I like it so much I will probably get an INOX version if I ever find one cheap enough. I have put thousands of rounds through it and it always goes bang. It would be my go to gun if SHTF (from a pure reliability/comfort point of view).

The 92FS is a great gun. The only thing I don't like is the plastic spring guide rod. You can get metal replacements from Beretta but these should be standard.

Last edited:
The 92FS is a great gun. The only thing I don't like is the plastic spring guide rod. You can get metal replacements from Beretta but these should be standard.

How many plastic guide rods have you broken?

I love mine. Had to have one after seeing them in so many movies especially Boondock Saints which is why I took this pic.

20120103214325.jpg

I'll be the odd guy out. The 92FS never really did it for me. Hated the trigger, and found it fussy about ammo. It would eat anything, but lacked accuracy with most readily available bulk ammo. For its size and weight, you could be shooting a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the double action on the first pull but after that it's crisp. Grips are a tad too big for my medium glove sized hands

If you get one be sure to replace the spring with the "D" spring to lighten the trigger pull. Its terrible. Brownells carries them. I actually have one and am thinking of getting rid of it. Its too large for my hand. I would actually like to get another 9mm. Perhaps a Sig 226 or 229. Maybe if I could find a Springfield XD I would spring for it.

Having said that I personally know a couple people who were stationed in Iraq in the Army. They hate the Beretta M9. Said it doesn't do well at all in sandy environments. Frequent jams, failure to return to battery, etc.

I've personally never had a problem with mine - but I've never used them under adverse conditions like they have. I have no reason to doubt the experiences of those I know though. Those guys were praying for something else..

Last edited:

No they should not. The plastic rod has replaced the steel for a reason. It cuts down on jams in adverse conditions when sand, mud, etc can get into the gun. You will notice the plastic rod isn't a cylinder like the steel rod. There is a reason for that...

Not a fan because almost nobody does action jobs on them, and most of them desperately need one, particularly in single action. (too much weight and creep). The sights not being removable sucks, too. (the front isn't, at least).

-Mike

Last edited:

This is mindless pap, there is nothing wrong with plastic guide rods.

I've used them in Sigs, Berettas, Glocks, and other pistols without issue. I have yet to see one break.

The 92FS can be hated for a bunch of reasons, but the plastic rod isn't one of them.

-Mike

The sights not being removable sucks, too. (the front isn't, at least).

Some do - that's why I had to import mine from another state. (I found a great old Brigadier model, which is the best stock 92FS I've ever shot.) Some day when I find a couple G's in the couch cushions it will go out to Dave Sams to be turned into a true CMP service pistol gun. Not this year though. http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/beretta92customwork.html

Overall I still prefer my Sigs (mostly because I think external safeties are retarded) but unfortunately they don't allow those in CMP service pistol matches and I've never been able to shoot 1911's very well.

I have had four of them the last one being an M9 that I still have. They all worked just fine.

I'm not a fan of the 92FS. First, it is stupidly large. Second, I'm not a fan of DA/SA. How many of you who own them actually decock and shoot the first shot DA?

But most importantly, the big problem with the 92FS is the slide-mounted safety. Slide-mounted safeties are a very bad idea. If you carry with the safety on, the safety is hard to reach with your strong hand thumb while maintaining a firm grip. Worst of all, though, is that it is easy to accidentally apply the safety while cycling the slide -- and I saw that happen at an IDPA match a few weeks ago. During a slide-lock reload, the shooter grabbed the slide with his weak hand, pulled back and released, and while doing so accidentally applied the safety. He spent the next several seconds trying to pull the trigger and not knowing why it wouldn't fire until he realized that the safety was on. It is just a really bad design.

I agree the the 92fs is a big gun. But my gf 5 foot 100lbs. Tiny little lady. Shoots it all the time and prefers it's to many smaller guns

Thank you for all of the great feedback. Looks like I will be making a trip to Four Season soon [smile]

Four Seasons has decent pricing on the 92FS. They also have a good supply of 15 round pre-ban magazines in stock.

The 92FS is a great firearm. If you can find one, the Px4 shoots nice as well. Very low recoil and I seem to shoot it better than the 92FS. It just seems easier to control the trigger on for me.

I'm not a fan of the 92FS. First, it is stupidly large. Second, I'm not a fan of DA/SA. How many of you who own them actually decock and shoot the first shot DA?

But most importantly, the big problem with the 92FS is the slide-mounted safety. Slide-mounted safeties are a very bad idea. If you carry with the safety on, the safety is hard to reach with your strong hand thumb while maintaining a firm grip. Worst of all, though, is that it is easy to accidentally apply the safety while cycling the slide -- and I saw that happen at an IDPA match a few weeks ago. During a slide-lock reload, the shooter grabbed the slide with his weak hand, pulled back and released, and while doing so accidentally applied the safety. He spent the next several seconds trying to pull the trigger and not knowing why it wouldn't fire until he realized that the safety was on. It is just a really bad design.

I shot M9's a lot in the Marines. It was actually the first handgun I ever fired and the one I learned to shoot on. Disengaging the safety quickly on the draw does take practice but you can get really good at it. The easier solution is to just use it as a decocker and leave the safety off. The second problem you mentioned, however, is something I've encountered on more than a few occasions. I was told that this is the reason why the Marine Corps only teaches the slingshot method for releasing the slide and not the overhand. I prefer overhand and if I'm not careful I'll engage the safety every time.

Back
Top Bottom