Feedback on the Beretta 92FS

If I bring both to the range and shoot the 1911 first, then I almost always shoot the beretta like crap because the triggers feel so much different (crisp vs. creep creep creep bang!)

The trigger difference really threw me off....can a good gunsmith make it tight and crisp like the 1911's?

Not really. I sent mine back to Beretta for trigger job. It definitely helped but there is still a decent amount of take up. On the positive side there is no grit in the SA take up; it is smooth and clean.

I carried the M9 in the Army for awhile, I had no problems per se, except that I have small hands and the DA reach was too long to be effective. Overall the ergonomics do not favor me, which is why I thought it odd that someone would comment to the OP that he thought the grips were too thin.

The Beretta 92/M9 reflects 1970's and 1980's handgun technology with the traditional double action. I learned to shoot semi-autos with an S&W M39, so that has never been a big deal with me, but it is for some people. I really think today some of the polymer framed DA pistols might be a better way to go. If you plan to carry concealed, carrying an M9 that way might be a bit problematical, it can be, of course, but it is interesting to note that the US Armed Forces adopted the M11 (Sig-Sauer P228) for their CCW. Personally if wedded to the traditional DA/SA semi-auto pistol, I think Sigs and 3rd Generation S&W's are better platforms for that system.

It is interesting to note that many law enforcement agencies that issued the 92FS (or its larger 40 S&W brother, the 96) have gone on to polymer framed DAO type pistols of the Glock and S&W MP variety.

Key, and this has already been brought up: reliable magazines. Always use Beretta or Mec-Gar magazines (I understand they make the magazines for Beretta). Some too, have complained that the open slide design does not work well in all environments. I am not going to comment on that nor some of the early complaints that resulted in a GAO investigation (problem was apparently solved, and issue appeared to be related to out of spec 9mm ammunition that some in the Special Ops Community were using). Avoid US military surplus magazines unless they are factory original or Mec_Gar. There are plenty of pre-ban mags around so caveat emptor. If you live in "cripple mag state" you are limited to ten round mags and frankly I think the 92FS is a pretty big 9mm for a limited capacity weapon.

I had one for several years and just could not squeeze any decent accuracy out of it. It was a pleasure to shoot, reliable and comfortable, but I couldn't hit shit with it. I traded it for a S&W1911, which I subsequently sold to fund an AR. So if you consider what I originally paid for the used 92FS, I basically paid $550 for a beautiful shooting AR. :)

reliable magazines. Always use Beretta or Mec-Gar magazines

this is very important.

my 92FS was my first gun and it's a good gun. i like it a lot and it's been very reliable. i did however have an issue with one of the pins holding the safety selector on walking out. not cool. called beretta and they threw one right in the mail for me... loc-tite'd that bad boy on there and put a dab on the other one for good measure and have had zero problems since.

Update.....my impulses got the better of me yesterday and while I was in Fall River on business the Flint Armament shop caught my eye. I walked out with a full size S&W 1911 Pro in 9mm and couldn't be happier (although my wallet is alot lighter). The Beretta may sit in the safe for awhile or it may go up for sale to pay for some badly needed 9mm ammo, if any can be found!

First handgun I purchased was the 92FS. I like it so much I will probably get an INOX version if I ever find one cheap enough. I have put thousands of rounds through it and it always goes bang. It would be my go to gun if SHTF (from a pure reliability/comfort point of view).

This, with a capital THIS![grin]

I actually bought a 92 FS yesterday. Sold all my preban mags a couple months ago because I told myself I would never buy a Beretta, but I found a deal too good to pass up.

Can anyone recommend a shop that does trigger work? This thing badly needs to be lightened up. I am close to Stateline in Mason. Anyone had work done there?

I actually bought a 92 FS yesterday. Sold all my preban mags a couple months ago because I told myself I would never buy a Beretta, but I found a deal too good to pass up.

Can anyone recommend a shop that does trigger work? This thing badly needs to be lightened up. I am close to Stateline in Mason. Anyone had work done there?
If all you need is it lightened, then just change out the main spring for the 'D' version. That'll cut a couple pounds off and not affect safety, function, or reliability.

it's simple to do your own. Buy a "D" mainspring to replace the factory mainspring. That alone will take about 3-4 pounds off the DA pull. You can smoothen up the trigger by lightly sanding the sides of the hammer that rub up against the frame. Use 600grit sandpaper and sand just enough to remove the factory black finish and polish the metal underneath.

Use this thread to help. Post #10:
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13088

My current DA pull is around 9lbs, feels like a nice tuned revolver

it's simple to do your own. Buy a "D" mainspring to replace the factory mainspring. That alone will take about 3-4 pounds off the DA pull. You can smoothen up the trigger by lightly sanding the sides of the hammer that rub up against the frame. Use 600grit sandpaper and sand just enough to remove the factory black finish and polish the metal underneath.

Use this thread to help. Post #10:
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13088

My current DA pull is around 9lbs, feels like a nice tuned revolver

I found a place online that can also lower down the SA to 3.5 and shorten the trigger reset. Will replacing the spring also significantly lower the SA? I don't mind paying a pro to do the work as I am afraid of messing up the gun.

I've used M9s in the Army for years and yesterday I went to Four Seasons and picked one up used for pretty short money - $350 with 3 mags included (all 10 rounders of course, but I have already obtained a few pre-bans on my own).

I know there are some reasons to not like the 92fs, the major problem being the open slide, IMO. In Iraq I once found a small collections of pebbles in the top of the trigger well - it was still able to function, but I am sure it had the potential to cause a malfunction in a critical situation. The DA trigger needs some work, but I'll sand that down myself - one night's worth of work.

Other than that, here are the things I like about the 92fs:

1. Reliability. I don't remember ever having a stove-pipe, failure to feed, double feed - nothing. That's with several thousand rounds over the course of a couple decades. The gun I bought yesterday cycled that crappy Blazer aluminum case ammo just fine this morning on the range.

2. Parts are everywhere. I mean, everywhere. This is the AR platform of pistols.

3. Accuracy - I have always found the M9 to be pretty accurate, although the fixed sights on my gun are pretty far off. Shoots good groups, but low and left. Once I upgrade the sights this thing will be a tack driver - it will be more accurate that I can generally shoot.

4. I'm practiced with it, so its a good gun for me, personally. It's a bit large for a carry gun and I probably won't have it on me much in the summer, but fall through spring I can carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck or just OWB it.

It's not the first pistol I've ever bought and and certainly won't be the last, but I've always wanted one and now I have it.

Nice gun for the range but that's it

People like That Guy have depended on it to save their lives. I wouldn't categorically dismiss it as a "range gun"...depending on how you dress and what your size is, it can be used for CCW...the design is a little long at the tooth now, but while I have never been an M9 fan, if it works for you, I am not going to knock it.

People like That Guy have depended on it to save their lives. I wouldn't categorically dismiss it as a "range gun"...depending on how you dress and what your size is, it can be used for CCW...the design is a little long at the tooth now, but while I have never been an M9 fan, if it works for you, I am not going to knock it.

I've got to agree. I carried mine for a tour, my wife carried hers for three tours. I've carried mine CCW several times. It takes the right holster, belt and maybe some wardrobe adjustments, but it worked just fine for me. I'd carry it again in a heartbeat.

As for "long in the tooth," ... [sad2] [wink]

BTW - B&K has several police trade ins at a really good price if anyone is looking.

Aloha

Oh, the other thing I completely forgot that is a huge plus for me - exposed hammer with ability to go from DA if I am under pressure and SA if I have a little more time to set up. I've never once had a problem with accidentally putting it on safe when I go hand over slide to rack it either from a closed position or just releasing it from the open position (magazine change position - I don't know the technical sport shooter terms for these things).

Of course, as with all things, YMMV. I don't see how if people think it is a nice range gun it wouldn't be a nice carry gun or home defense gun. Apart from the size - which is definitely an issue - I see no reason this wouldn't make an excellent carry gun or home self-defense gun. But then again, I think Glocks are nice and all, but I just can't see paying the kind of money people in Mass pay for them, so I get there are differences of opinions.

BTW, I am halfway finished smoothing out the trigger with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. Can't wait to run some more rounds through it tomorrow or Sunday.

I think it's a fantastic gun. But it's pretty big for what it is, and slide-mounted safeties are beyond ridiculous.

i love my 92fs inox in stainless ,and never had a problem ccw...
glocks are plain and not good looking in my eyes (only my opinion and really means nothing )
sorry you could not give me one ,please don't run me out of the country know ..[grin]

I bought one of the $350 92's at FS a couple of weeks ago as well. I LOVE this thing in a way I've never loved my Glock 17. Shoot it better too. To me it proves that a gun can be functional and good looking. Not sure the Glock will eve leave the safe again...

Spent much of the day yesterday taking the whole thing down and polishing parts. I did the trigger slide, the hammer retaining pin, the hammer, the sear and the hammer strut. Invested about eight hours total plus $1 worth of sandpaper. Then I clipped three coils off the hammer spring to lighten the DA. BTW, the best thing about buying a used gun for this project was the you could see exactly where the contact points were because they had worn a little bit.

The action is smoother than I imagined it would be and the DA is about half the weight it was before (just based on my own feel). Once I get the rear sight adjusted this thing is going to be smoking. For the $351 I have in this thing so far, I'm pretty pleased.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought one of the $350 92's at FS a couple of weeks ago as well. I LOVE this thing in a way I've never loved my Glock 17. Shoot it better too. To me it proves that a gun can be functional and good looking. Not sure the Glock will eve leave the safe again...
Did yours have a number painted on the grips? Mine had a 15 - I assume these were police department surplus from somewhere.

First off its my opinion so if I want to dismiss it as a range gun I may do so, I know the armed forces use it to defend their lives and our freedoms and I'm thankful beyond words. From what my good friend tell me, as a combat weapon it's not a bad firearm. All I did was express my "opinion" that as a range gun its great but that's it. Others might disagree some will agree that's the beauty of a forum, but don't break my balls and tell me that I'm dismissing something. Not looking to argue or fight with anyone but it is my opinion, nothing more

And by the way I have owned two 92Fs and I loved them both, shot thousands of rounds at the range with them and would by another one in a heartbeat.

First off its my opinion so if I want to dismiss it as a range gun I may do so, I know the armed forces use it to defend their lives and our freedoms and I'm thankful beyond words. From what my good friend tell me, as a combat weapon it's not a bad firearm. All I did was express my "opinion" that as a range gun its great but that's it. Others might disagree some will agree that's the beauty of a forum, but don't break my balls and tell me that I'm dismissing something. Not looking to argue or fight with anyone but it is my opinion, nothing more

Yeah Mark, stop busting Kisspik002's balls. Can't you see that she is having a bad day?

Yeah Mark, stop busting Kisspik002's balls. Can't you see that she is having a bad day?

... and that was just uncalled for.

Four Seasons has the "pre ban" 15 round mags but they will cost you.

The 92/96 platform has and does serve military and leo needs around the world. And the 92/M9 DOES make a great range gun. You can tinker with the hammer spring, buy a D spring from Beretta or after market and improve the DA trigger pull. But the stock 92/M9 really doesn't need to be modified - except maybe some night sights. Too bad we have to buy the "pre ban" magazines for it here in MA. 10 round magazines is its biggest negative.

Last edited:
I admit, never have shot a 92fs, but I have over 800 rounds through a P99QA 9mm and it has NEVER stove piped or failed me yet. However I am probably one of the weird guys who does clean the gun and lubricates it after each visit to the range, [smile], so guess it does reduce the risk of a problem at least a little, hopefully. [wink]

I like mine. I have pre-ban mags for it. The safety is a bit weird though. If you even use it, the only way to make it really work effectively is if you release it on your draw. Kind of odd. The other thing I noticed on mine (I bought it new) was that the magazine release really needed breaking in. I'm not sure what it was, but it would stick and that was with the factory mags that came with it.

Back
Top Bottom