Feedback on the Beretta 92FS

I have a blued version and the INOX. The only problem I have is that I can't decide which one I like better.

If you're going to pick one up, I would recommend checking out North Shore Firearms in Middleton first. I suspect you'll find a better price on it there

92fs was my first handgun (yeah I was a Lethal Weapon fan). I have gorilla sized hands and never had any real issue with the grips. I did, however, swap them for Hogues. The safety isn't a bother; disengaging doesn't require me alter my grip at all. I did send it back to Beretta after owning it for a month for an action job and it's been a sweet shooter since (mine was a little gritty in DA and SA where as my brother got one that was fine as is). The fixed blade front sight does annoy me at times because I want night sights (there's a company in Michigan that drills the front bead and inserts a tritium tube). In the few thousands rounds fired there has been one failure to eject and that was from a noticeably deformed case. For the first couple years of having my LTC this was my EDC.

handle is too thin? [laugh2]
excessive torque? [laugh2]

This.

Sounds like your buddy might not really know how to shoot. [thinking] Either way, have you shot the 92? Glock? I hope I'm not missing something, but obviously your best bet would be to try them all out before you commit.

The 92s give my meaty hands hammer bite. Shot one once and bled all over the place. I have to use a low grip to make them work, and that's not how I like to shoot.

Hey gents. I've been thinking about my next handgun purchase and want a good quality compliment to my 1911's. Almost decided on a 9mm and like the looks of the Beretta 92FS.

One of my NY buds commented when I asked him about the gun as follows " When I was in the market for a 9mm i looked at and shot FS92, P99, HK, Glock and SIG. I hated the angle of Glocks handle to the barrel, just wasn't comfortable for me. 92 was a fine shooting pistol, BUT, the nandle was too slim for my hand and when you shoot it, there is a lot of clockwise torque in the recoil, trying to twist the gun out of your hand. I ended up with P99 6-7 years ago (turned out to be the best price) and I am a verry happy customer."

Does anyone here have experience shooting this model and have you experienced this torque issue as described?

I have 2 of them, a blued and an Inox version. For me they are comfortable and fun to shoot. Not sure on the torque issue, I have not experienced this. The gun is a little heavy but also is well balanced. Very reliable, I have had the blued one for awhile and have put some rounds through it with no issues. I have fairly small hands and it is comfortable for me. I had a glock but never could get it to feel comfortable in my hand.

I would recommend finding someone at your club who has one and see if they will let you shoot it. Everyone is different and what may be perfect for one person may really suck for another.
I would be willing to let you try mine if you want to take the long ride up to Worcester some night or Sunday

Chet

You don't sound like you are a fan of the Beretta...reason?

It's a ok pistol, it just has to value for me.

The grip is thick, the gun is heavy, the da trigger sucks, the sa trigger is only "ok" , a slide mounted safety is just stupid (IMHO)

It's just not my thing

To each his own.

My 92fs went away a long time ago, as I shot more I found a striker fired pistol suited me better

EDIT: I will ad that I do not own any handgun strictly for a "range toy" The few pistols I have I would consider defensive minded and are setup up to perform as such. Hnadguns are just utility pieces for me, as my "toys" are all C&R rifles

Last edited:
Having said that I personally know a couple people who were stationed in Iraq in the Army. They hate the Beretta M9. Said it doesn't do well at all in sandy environments. Frequent jams, failure to return to battery, etc.
I've personally never had a problem with mine - but I've never used them under adverse conditions like they have. I have no reason to doubt the experiences of those I know though. Those guys were praying for something else..

I wasn't going to way in, but I'll respond to this one. I carried mine for a tour in Afghanistan, my wife carried hers in Iraq and the Philippines. Before I went over in 2003 and again before her tours in 2005 and 2007, I did some research and discovered that the vast majority of the complaints about the M9 were traced back to the magazines. The DoD bought additional mags on a low-bid, outsourced contract that ended up going to an Indonesian company (they make a liscensed version of the 92FS). The company sprayed the magazine bodies (inside and outside) with a rust resistant coating. That coating started flaking off and jamming the follower and slide. I made sure that both of us had OEM mags on our deployments.
My last year in the service I spent training Soldiers with little handgun experience on the M9. Yes, the slide mounted safety is a pain in the neck, but with practice and awareness it's not an issue. Every one of those Soldiers took my advice and throughly inspected their magazines. The Army had replaced most of their magazines removing the problem ones from the supply chain.
As for operating in adverse conditions, the 92 (or the original 1952) is/was the standard issue weapon for the Isrealis, the Saudis, the Jordanians, the Iraqi (pre-invasion), the Turks, the Kuwaitis, the Omanians, etc... Just a thought.
Also the US DoD made an additional purchase of M9s back in September.

Is the grip thick? Yes it is. Almost too thick for me, but my wife loves it. She shoots it better than any other gun she's tried (she hates Glocks so...).

Also, its the gun that is always loaded and ready to go in the safe. It's the first gun that either of us would grab if the SHTF. I should probably get another one so we aren't fighting over that one. :D
Aloha

Last edited:
Got mine at northshore for good price. They buy them in bulk and i think had the best prices around Mines a range gun that my kid uses a lot. It's accurate and eats anything. I wouldnt buy it as a carry piece unless you were OWB ing with. For a range gun it's perfect if your using it for PP the da/sa is a no go for me as well as the fixed forever sights

Before I went over in 2003 and again before her tours in 2005 and 2007, I did some research and discovered that the vast majority of the complaints about the M9 were traced back to the magazines. The DoD bought additional mags on a low-bid, outsourced contract that ended up going to an Indonesian company (they make a liscensed version of the 92FS). The company sprayed the magazine bodies (inside and outside) with a rust resistant coating. That coating started flaking off and jamming the follower and slide. I made sure that both of us had OEM mags on our deployments.
I remember taking my bore brushes and scaping all that crap out of the insides of the mags.

I'm a big fan of the 92FS. I actaully have an older 92F that despite having seen upwards of +10k rounds is still a tack driver. I bought it from a friend as my first handgun, as it's what I had in the Army and I was intimately familiar with how to break it down and maintain it.

I like the fact that it has so many features, and I've found it to be a great gun to introduce people to handgun shooting. You're able to demonstrate the differences between double and single action, how a manual safety works, and the basic various mechanics of a hand gun with a 9mm that won't jump out of a new shooter's hands.

Another benefit in addition to pre ban mags are the accessories that can be had--I have CTC grips on mine. As drgrant noted it is true that if you want trijicon sights, you'll likely have to drill the front sight, but that's really it.

Hey gents. I've been thinking about my next handgun purchase and want a good quality compliment to my 1911's. Almost decided on a 9mm and like the looks of the Beretta 92FS.

One of my NY buds commented when I asked him about the gun as follows " When I was in the market for a 9mm i looked at and shot FS92, P99, HK, Glock and SIG. I hated the angle of Glocks handle to the barrel, just wasn't comfortable for me. 92 was a fine shooting pistol, BUT, the nandle was too slim for my hand and when you shoot it, there is a lot of clockwise torque in the recoil, trying to twist the gun out of your hand. I ended up with P99 6-7 years ago (turned out to be the best price) and I am a verry happy customer."

Does anyone here have experience shooting this model and have you experienced this torque issue as described?

I was out shooting my P99AS 9mm and 92FS and Px4c 9mm last weekend. The P99 had more felt recoil - it's got a polymer frame after all, than the 92. The 92 has some light muzzle rise, possibly a little torquing depending on how you hold it. I find that using two hands eliminates torque, reduces muzzle flip and you get back on target fast. The P99 is just a little more of a handful in terms of recoil, even with a two hand hold.

I love the P99 and the 92FS. If the 92's stock grip is too small for you get the Hogue finger groove soft rubber wrap around grips. Beretta used to sell them with the trident logo.

Also as noted elsewhere - 15 round pre-ban magazines are readily available.

Last edited:
DSCF3870-1.jpg

I love my 92. Second gun I ever bought.

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo

I had a 92FS and the grips were too fat for me. It was very dependable, I think it has an unusually large ejection port area. However, I prefer Sigs now, for an all metal pistol, or the M&P for a plastic one.

In my time in the military I was issued an m9 (An RTO got one; but, for some god forsaken reason SAW gunners didn't...) that was probably one of the first 1000 the DoD got. It was beat to hell, had almost no bluing left on it, and was scared and nicked all over the place. It shot like a champ. I was upset the day it was "retired" by the BTN armorer. (It was so old, they dead lined it and my old, but good shooting m-4 on the spot.)

I don't like the double action on the first pull but after that it's crisp. Grips are a tad too big for my medium glove sized hands

thats the great thing about the 92...you can pull that hammer back. I enjoy my 92 so much I bought a 96 too. Great thing about that is the magazines I have all interchange between the 9 and 40. I have a bunch of 17rd mags, factory 15 rounders and a few 30+ mags. It is nice that they all can do double duty. I can't say I've ever noticed torque in the recoil.

I love the look of my92 inox but hate cleaning it to keep it looking that way. Thinking of trading it or selling it for a blue

i have in my possession an Italian made INOX..... the stainless they use is pretty cheap, and not really "stainless"

go blued.......

if i were to buy one it'd be an M9....

I have a 92FS and its one of my favorite hand guns to shoot. The grip feels fine and I have never experienced this "clockwise rotation". Its very balanced and smooth to shoot. I have pre ban mags so its great for ccw as well

Visited North Shore Firearms this Morning and walked out with a black Beretta 92FS [grin] Nice shop, friendly staff and a SWEET gun...can't wait to shoot it later today

Well......I ran 150 rounds through the Beretta today and liked the gun but don't LOVE it like my S&W 1911's [crying] Not sure why but the 1911's just feel so good in my hands and I can shoot both extremely well. Not sure if I should just sell the Beretta now or give it another chance or two?

The US military likes the 92FS (right?) and so do I. Geat gun..
I bought mine from an NES'r last year. I shoot it better than any other pistol i own.

Ya gotta remember a 1911 is a 1911 and hardly anything feels like one. If you're stuck on a 1911 trigger than you're pretty much screwed. Meaning you'll dislike/hate everything else you try. If I bring both to the range and shoot the 1911 first, then I almost always shoot the beretta like crap because the triggers feel so much different (crisp vs. creep creep creep bang!)

Back
Top Bottom