Federal judge orders AG Healey to appear for deposition Dec 13th

That is what I think. If the judge rules that the deposition should go ahead once he's read the briefs, she will then file another appeal.

Great: Lawyers making more work for other lawyers, all for zero actual productivity.

Great: Lawyers making more work for other lawyers, all for zero actual productivity.

How you incentivize people changes their behavior. One of my Dilbert favorites:

593861c6-2213-457e-aece-17e588847be7.gif

Judge Kinkeade extended the Brief submittal date from 1/4/17 to 2/1/17.

164Filed: 12/15/2016, Entered: None
court2.png
ORDER: The Court hereby extends the deadline set by the Court's, December 12, 2016 Order (Doc. No. 159), to February 1, 2017 and ORDERS all parties to submit a brief to the Court regarding whether this Court has personal jurisdiction over Defendants Attorney General Healey and/or Attorney General Schneiderman. The briefs shall be no more than twenty-five (25) pages in length. No extensions of this deadline will be considered absent exigent circumstances. (Ordered by Judge Ed Kinkeade on 12/15/2016) (chmb) (Entered: 12/15/2016)

159Filed: 12/12/2016, Entered: None
court2.png
ORDER: The Court ORDERS all parties to submit a brief to the Court regarding whether this Court has personal jurisdiction over Defendants Attorney General Healey and/or Attorney General Schneiderman totaling twenty-five (25) pages. All briefing on this issue of personal jurisdiction must be filed on or before January 4, 2017. No extensions of this deadline will be considered absent exigent circumstances. (Ordered by Judge Ed Kinkeade on 12/12/2016) (chmb) (Entered: 12/12/2016)

http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/30...strict-court/exxon-mobil-corporation-v-healey

This has nothing to do with due process.

Ahh, yes it does. Personal jurisdiction questions and whether you can be dragged in front of a court are substantive due process considerations and implicate the due process clause of the 14th amendment.

Bummer that the judge extended the deadline.

Is there a way of finding out how many federal court appointees are needed after 1/20? IIRC, the POTUS appoints these judges and might be a strategic move on the part of Judge Kinkeade. Say a Lefty judge retires from the 5CA, then Trump gets to appoint a new Righty judge in that place. Just a thought.

Is there a way of finding out how many federal court appointees are needed after 1/20? IIRC, the POTUS appoints these judges and might be a strategic move on the part of Judge Kinkeade. Say a Lefty judge retires from the 5CA, then Trump gets to appoint a new Righty judge in that place. Just a thought.
there are currently 103 vacancies in the federal judiciary including one on the Supreme Court. There will be many more next year due to active

I wonder if this might not be the case.
There has to be some pressure on him for going after a liberal darling.
1/20 it's going to be a whole new ball game.

No, it's not. It will be the same judge, the same laws, and the same two defendants. "Because Trump" won't change any of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, it's not. It will be the same judge, the same laws, and the same two defendants. "Because Trump" won't change any of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't think that pressure get applied to either Judges or Prosecutors on behalf of party sweethearts?

Is this judge getting cold feet?
My theory is that half of all judges and attorneys are skiing during January; those are are not skiing have their feet up on the desk wishing they were skiing. So maybe the judge had forgotten about his ski vacation. (Tongue in cheek; obviously the judiciary doesn't grind to a halt the entire month of January; sometimes it just seems like it.)

You don't think that pressure get applied to either Judges or Prosecutors on behalf of party sweethearts?

There are no prosecutors involved in this case, just the MA Attorney General. The US Justice Department is not a party to this lawsuit.

And I hope to hell no political pressure is brought on any judge, from any party.

And I hope to hell no political pressure is brought on any judge, from any party.
There is always the implied political pressure of wanting to behave in a manner that will be appreciated by those in power, particularly if the judge aspires to a higher court.

It's kind of like how the Clintons don't have to order anyone dead .... if you do something that convinces their minions that the Clintons would be better off with you dead, your statistical chances of committing suicide, having an unfortunate accident, or being shot in the back in a robbery in which nothing is taken increases dramatically.

Last edited:
There are no prosecutors involved in this case, just the MA Attorney General. The US Justice Department is not a party to this lawsuit.

Obamacare
I'll leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom