Fed ex M5 upper to MA and l

Currently in CA dealing with brother in laws estate

He has a built up m5 from 2015
The lower is not MA compliant but ....
All other parts are fair game into MA addressed to myself .
I'd bring the scope in Carry on.
Any suggestions or issues I haven't addressed

Breaking down the lower isn't worth it I suppose to bring to MA?

Attachments

• 2BUI06C.jpeg
    2BUI06C.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 43
How is the lower not ok? As long as the final rifle has fixed stock and pinned/welded muzzle brake I don’t see the issue. It’s just a lower when disassembled so a non-entity in MA.

If you are named beneficiary than it’s yours with no complications. If not, then send to a MA ffl for transfer.

First and most important question - is the estate settled and is this actually bequeathed to you? In that case its an inheritance and different rules apply. If not then it doesn't matter that its from his estate, it will need to go thru an FFL.

and there are plenty of FFL's who will transfer the lower to you in MA, if it wasn't bequeathed to you

Lower is separated

Talked to a gun shop in woburn
Statement was its a m5 lower, only those pre 98 are ok for MA

Was not bequeathed to me, was not listed on assets in his estate.

If anyone had a FFL to deal with a transfer of m5 lower circa 2015 bear to boston..Boston... I would appreciate it

Are you coming back by plane I would ship the upper to myself FedEx I would put the lower in some sort of a case I would do it as checked luggage per TSA rules when I got it back to Massachusetts I'd make sure that it was Massachusetts compliant and then I would file an efa10 on it with no seller listed . I might go as far as to tell the Commonwealth the Massachusetts to go pound sand if it's an inheritance I don't even know if you have to do that and if anyone ever asks screw them it's an inheritance. I'm sure one of the Massachusetts guys will chime in and fill you in whether you have to do a e f a 10 on an inheritance but that is how I would treat that gun

Hey dude… just seeing this thread. I replied to your PM on NESR

For anyone wondering @Black isn’t Maura.

Are you coming back by plane I would ship the upper to myself FedEx I would put the lower in some sort of a case I would do it as checked luggage per TSA rules when I got it back to Massachusetts I'd make sure that it was Massachusetts compliant and then I would file an efa10 on it with no seller listed . I might go as far as to tell the Commonwealth the Massachusetts to go pound sand if it's an inheritance I don't even know if you have to do that and if anyone ever asks screw them it's an inheritance. I'm sure one of the Massachusetts guys will chime in and fill you in whether you have to do a e f a 10 on an inheritance but that is how I would treat that gun

Its not an inheritance so that would be illegal. It has to be transferred via FFL either there or here. eFA-10 is state requirement, FFL is Federal. They are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
I expect it can also be done without regards to specific persons.

There is a difference between an executor monetizing the decedents actions for the heirs and a clause "My guns are bequested to my friends in such allocation as to be solely determined by the executor of my estate".

I expect it can also be done without regards to specific persons.

There is a difference between an executor monetizing the decedents actions for the heirs and a clause "My guns are bequested to my friends in such allocation as to be solely determined by the executor of my estate".

Another reason for making sure you specified what should be done in your own wills everyone.

Back
Top Bottom