• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite Mid Power 230gr 45ACP

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Looking to find out what your favorite mid power 230gr 45acp is that you have the least issues with. I'm looking for something with more power the WWB, but something that isn't as strong as full powered personal protection rounds. General all around shooting ammo. I've been having some issues with some brands out of a couple quality firearms that I'm fairly sure is ammo related. Wanted to match up what your favorites are and what I've used to give me some ideas.

Also, I already reload, so no need to say "just reload your own". I'm working on some new recipes, but am just looking at factory ammo for this thread.

Looking to find out what your favorite mid power 230gr 45acp is that you have the least issues with. I'm looking for something with more power the WWB, but something that isn't as strong as full powered personal protection rounds. General all around shooting ammo. I've been having some issues with some brands out of a couple quality firearms that I'm fairly sure is ammo related. Wanted to match up what your favorites are and what I've used to give me some ideas.

Also, I already reload, so no need to say "just reload your own". I'm working on some new recipes, but am just looking at factory ammo for this thread.

Sellier & Bellot - Sellier & Bellot 45 ACP AUTO 230 Grain FMJ

Not sure where they fall in power the spectrum without looking them all up. I think they are all comparable, but I use Blazer, Fiocchi, PPU and S&B for my drills. never had a problem with any of them out of Sig, HK, Glock, Kimber or WC. Find the one you like. Buy it when you dont need it and stack it deep. I seem to remember WC has or used to have a statement about not using Lawman in their rigs so I never resupplied in that.

I just buy a loaf of 500 rounds of Fiocchi .45 every year or two and I still usually don't even burn all of that up. It's generally pretty hot. I should chrono it someday, it definitely has
more felt punt than WWB does.

Honestly though if you have a 550 or 650 or something around theres almost no reason you should ever be buying 230 fmj commercial. It's not rocket science to develop a
load that works. Here's one right now.... 230 fmj, 6.3 grs unique 1.255-1.265 COAL . ETA: I always used a decent tape crimp, until the bullet would get dented then back it off right to the point where it won't dent it any longer. I only made about like, 8000 or more of those and they worked great. If you need more beef you can throw more powder, although you're going to want to look to see what the real limits are, I think it scales pretty well. You can crank the load down, too. I think this
one does like 850 fps+ out of a 5" 1911. I think it still relliably goes into low 800s out of a Glock 21 from what I remember.

The only reason I don't load my own .45 anymore is I barely shoot even 500 a year and I don't have an (efficient) press right now.

-Mike

I second fiocchi. its hotter than white box and is super reliable and more than accurate enough. Ive never had an issue and the brass is good for reloading

I shoot well over 6k rounds of .45acp a year, most of that being my reloads, and mostly at IDPA. If you are looking to get into the shooting sports like that, USPSA, steel, bowling pins, whatever... definitely consider starting to reload. Soon as I bought a house/ got married/ started the family, I could not afford to buy factory ammo anymore for the amount of shooting I do and I have three different presses now. It's awesome being able to tailor a specific round for a specific purpose. If you need to achieve power factor for a given division (like a minimum of 718 fps from a 230gr .45acp in IDPA) but you don't want to feed your gun a steady diet of full power factory ammo, reloading is a must.

Not really. WWB is renowned for being under powered, S&B is known to be stout and there's a plethora of other ammo spread along that spectrum. Just because you don't think there are, doesn't mean there isn't.

most of what shooter perceives is blast (not MV) which is mostly dependent on burn rate.

buy a chronograph. this way can find the perfect "mid range power 45 acp".

Not really. WWB is renowned for being under powered, S&B is known to be stout and there's a plethora of other ammo spread along that spectrum. Just because you don't think there are, doesn't mean there isn't.

Did you actually chrono it though? I would be surprised if WWB .45 was really slow or something. I never chronoed it so never used it as a
baseline for anything.

Some of the perception of juice is illusory, particularly in .45. Some of it depends on the burn rates of powder etc. For example I can take that unique load and have you shoot that back to back with a max load of titegroup under a 230... and you will swear the titegroup is more powerful, because it has a worse snap to it. Yet if we chronoed both of them, the titegroup load would be like struggling to make the same FPS that Unique would.

Most factory 230 gr ball ammo is like 820-870 fps out of a 5" 1911. I'd be very surprised if there was much way below this window.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom