• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Define mid range rifle distance

Me and a coworker were talking the other day about shooting rifle and we were debating what a “mid” range would be and was wondering what other people’s thoughts were, like what distance to what what distance. He said 200 yards MAX and I said 300-500 yards, keep in mind this is with 5.56

As a light infantryman, my mindset was geared toward battlefield engagement. So I thought of 300m as being "long" and 200m as being "intermediate."

No doubt a sniper would define it differently. So would a hunter or a mortarman or an Olympic shooter or a machine gunner. We're all products of our training and experience.

556 is an intermediate carrridge. Not capable
Of typical long range distances without a considerable amount of drop.
Drop has nothing to do with the question and everything to do with the shooters ability to make appropriate corrections for the drop. If you’re running a sub MOA or even a 1 MOA setup, 5.56 is a very capable cartridge even out past 800. If you know how to calculate your drop and adjust your reticle or make your holds accordingly. The question is what is mid range for the cartridge, not mid range according to a shooters ability.

A year ago I thought 200 would be my max yardage hunting. Last year it was. This year I shot an elk at 277 yards, sitting with rifle rested on my pack. I was 99% confident. I shot a deer this year at 200. I consider 200 yards today a gimme.

However, and take my comments with a grain of salt because I do not have the same experience and training as some of the others on this site......

The conditions you shoot in need to be factored in. 20mph crosswind and I'm going to think long and hard about even that 200 yard chip shot. Nothing stable to set my rifle on and that distance got a lot shorter. Perfect situation, I'd shoot out to 325 today all day long.

100-300 is close range,
300-500 is mid range
500+ I consider long range.

5.56 is capable of reaching long distance and I’ve made hits out to 650 yards and friends have gone further.

+1 this… although I was debating (500 vs. 600 in my mind; however, at those distances I’d prefer .308 vs. 5.56)

Me and a coworker were talking the other day about shooting rifle and we were debating what a “mid” range would be and was wondering what other people’s thoughts were, like what distance to what what distance. He said 200 yards MAX and I said 300-500 yards, keep in mind this is with 5.56
Punching paper? Big game? What's the objective? Square range usage only?

200-400 yards. Can't say that 400 yards is long range, so it's the limit for mid range.

Long range is where the intermediate calibers can't work. 5.56, 762x29, .300 Blk, .30-30 can still work out to 350y.

200-400 yards. Can't say that 400 yards is long range, so it's the limit for mid range.

Long range is where the intermediate calibers can't work. 5.56, 762x29, .300 Blk, .30-30 can still work out to 350y.
300 blackout is a very cool round and can make hits out to 760 yards plus.

I say plus because 760 my current longest hit on steel for that round.

Drop has nothing to do with the question and everything to do with the shooters ability to make appropriate corrections for the drop. If you’re running a sub MOA or even a 1 MOA setup, 5.56 is a very capable cartridge even out past 800. If you know how to calculate your drop and adjust your reticle or make your holds accordingly. The question is what is mid range for the cartridge, not mid range according to a shooters ability.
Ok, thank you for answering your own question by defining your own parameters.

M193 is effective on humans out to 200 yards or so. Beyond that, the velocity decreases to the point where fragmentation no longer can be expected and the round merely bores a .22 caliber hole through the enemy. Your coworker may be right if he means 53 grain Vmax with a muzzle velocity around 3,400 fps against a coyote at 350 yards or so.

This. We regularly take 14.5s tossing 77gr out to 800-1000 yds.

This is kind of blowing my mind. So some of you consider sub 200 yards close range? Is there something below close range? Point blank?

This is kind of blowing my mind. So some of you consider sub 200 yards close range? Is there something below close range? Point blank?
If you want a .223 to absolutely tear the ass out of a person or a predator about the size of a coyote, I would say 300 to 350 yards maximum. Next step up is .22-250 or .220 Swift if you want to stick with high velocity .22 centerfires to do your bidding.

the idea of close range definition is there trajectory of the bullet if near flat - considering 50/200 zero.

Back
Top Bottom