• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Define mid range rifle distance

No I'm not.

I'm still waiting to hear the scenario where there would be a need to do that.
In New England (us being NES, and al...)
If there was a zombie apocalypse and the zombies are going door to door eating brains or sucking blood or whatever zombies do, there’s plenty of spots on hills or rooftops in and around neighborhoods that might make a good spot to harass or pick off a few of the living dead. I still think it would be closer than 1000 but I don’t think it’s a bad skill to have.

Nunya bizness.

Or? Maybe some of us learned to shoot in the military, and are trying to contribute to this thread from that experience? Maybe? Possibly? I learned to shoot in an environment where aiming at men was the whole idea, and as I pointed out in my first contribution to this thread, that has led me to my ideas about what defines midrange vs long range. Which is what the OP asked; he did NOT ask you to be a hall monitor.

As I also said there, we're all products of our training and experience. But none of us owes you any kind of answer as to why we hold the opinions we hold, surely.

When you say SPR and ammo commonality are you referring to 5.56 or .308? Just curious because I built a 18" 5.56 and a 20in .308. Haven't been to my club with the 400yd range in a while though.
.223 has been used to kill boar hogs weighing over 300 pounds. A NYPD officer was forced to shoot and kill a polar bear at the Bronx Zoo with a S&W Model 10 and politically-correct mousefart .38 Special ammo after a drunk entered the bears enclosure and was being mauled. Would any sane person hunt polar bear with a .38 revolver? Nobody who values their life, that's for sure. In a pinch, you use what you have. Far too many people have used the .223 in situations that called for a much more substantial caliber. I am not trashing the .223. I own several myself.

>800 is far for most guys and most 556 guns, but not impossible nor really all that difficult. I wanna say my 14.5 goes transonic at 890~ so thats really where you see the big inconsistencies. …

Going transonic can start to happen at ~1.2x the speed of sound. It is also heavily dependent on temperature.

On a nice 70 degree day at sea level, my 14.5” with 77 TMK will be subsonic at ~825 yards, but could start to do funny transonic things closer to 700 yards.

No I'm not.

There are lots of places in New England with 800+ yard lines of sight. As for scenarios, who knows? That’s why they’re called contingencies. Semper Preparate.

Going transonic can start to happen at ~1.2x the speed of sound. It is also heavily dependent on temperature.

On a nice 70 degree day at sea level, my 14.5” with 77 TMK will be subsonic at ~825 yards, but could start to do funny transonic things closer to 700 yards.
This mirrors my experience. 14.5” criterion, everything starts to fall apart right around that 700 mark like clockwork.

Nunya bizness.

Or? Maybe some of us learned to shoot in the military, and are trying to contribute to this thread from that experience? Maybe? Possibly? I learned to shoot in an environment where aiming at men was the whole idea, and as I pointed out in my first contribution to this thread, that has led me to my ideas about what defines midrange vs long range. Which is what the OP asked; he did NOT ask you to be a hall monitor.

As I also said there, we're all products of our training and experience. But none of us owes you any kind of answer as to why we hold the opinions we hold, surely.
Well, seeing as how the OP never mentioned anything about shooting people, I guess I was left wondering how the discussion went in that direction.

So I asked the question.

Not so much in New England, but the folks that are plagued with prairie dogs sure do get some long shots out there in the Dakotas.
I could also see some predator hunters looking for long range capabilities to keep coyote away from livestock.

But you are right. If I feel the need to engage a target beyond 300 yards, and I have the option, I would prefer a scoped, bolt action rifle.
The Marine Corps preaches one shot one kill in boot camp, but as soon as you get into the fleet they use a lot of suppressing fire. Keep their heads down.
Sure it's great if you can score hits, but the main goal is to keep folks from delivering accurate fire on your position. And if you are stupid enough to stay in one spot long enough to engage, some kid will walk 5.56 right on to you.

Back
Top Bottom