• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Define mid range rifle distance

No place for that type of shit here. Seriously! No joke! We have enough anti-gun a**h***s to deal with. Don't need to give our enemies any more reason to come after us.

Sorry, I should have known with a name like savageshooter that your sense of humor would be bland.

For the sake of education and without further digression ill reword my statement to calm your fear of pussy cancel culture wokeness or whatever.

M193 is effective on humans out to 200 yards or so.

I know some dead 'people' who would otherwise offer compelling arguments contradicting this statement.

IMG_20231119_182710_624.jpg

There have been some lots of 193 coming out recently that have been putting out relatively good consistency wrt mv and accuracy. Obviously the bullet isnt ideal for accuracy at distance nor terminal ballistics compared to something like MK262, MK318, or even M855A1 but its certainly well capable of putting holes in people well beyond 200 and if you can put holes in people it effectively takes them out of the fight at those kinds of distances, if you need to make some followups to truly eliminate the threat after that you can easily do so.

The real answer is that there is no magic bullet for people at any distance, even with the best ammo some humans can soak up 3-5 rounds before going down and not being a threat anymore, some will curl up and die with one. Some 'people' is just built different yo.

This is kind of blowing my mind. So some of you consider sub 200 yards close range? Is there something below close range? Point blank?
"Point blank" isn't what most people think it is. That's just where you'll (acceptably) hit your target without holding for elevation.

Better explanation here:

As a light infantryman, my mindset was geared toward battlefield engagement. So I thought of 300m as being "long" and 200m as being "intermediate."

No doubt a sniper would define it differently. So would a hunter or a mortarman or an Olympic shooter or a machine gunner. We're all products of our training and experience.
I thought you were a forward observer?

I don't think the OP's looking for "NRA rules," since he could have looked those up himself. This is two buddies arguing. He's curious about our perceptions.

Can’t speak for other branches or alphabet agencies or corrupt BS civilian rifle organizations but for the Corps it was 300 with 5.56 NATO green tip. This is why we always shot a 300 yard zero or a BZO..battle sight zero. Things changed a lot when GWOT really got going and engagement distances changed and ACOGS came into play.

As a light infantryman, my mindset was geared toward battlefield engagement. So I thought of 300m as being "long" and 200m as being "intermediate."

No doubt a sniper would define it differently. So would a hunter or a mortarman or an Olympic shooter or a machine gunner. We're all products of our training and experience.
Exactly. It's relative to what you are doing or need to do.

is snackbah calls you now to taste natick donuts - don`t go. :)
Keep racist comments to a minimum. There are many "
Per NRA rule breakdown for competitions

100-300 = Short Range

400-700 = Mid range

800+ = Long Range

The problem with pushing 223 out to long range is transonic bullet instability.
Plenty of people seem to expect this cartridge to perform tasks that it was never intended to perform. The .223 is a medium range varmint/predator caliber that was modified for military use. Effective range, as far as I am concerned, is the range that a given cartridge can reliably stop an attacker's hostile actions immediately or, in the case of hunting, harvest the targeted game quickly and humanely. I am certainly not suggesting that the .223 peters out completely at 200 yards and is no longer lethal. It has a maximum range of over two miles and can certainly kill well beyond its effective range. An innocent motorist in NYC was killed by a stray .303 round after some moron on a sailboat in New York harbor, almost two miles away, decided to take some impromptu target practice with an Enfield on some floating trash.

Keep racist comments to a minimum. There are many "

Plenty of people seem to expect this cartridge to perform tasks that it was never intended to perform. The .223 is a medium range varmint/predator caliber that was modified for military use. Effective range, as far as I am concerned, is the range that a given cartridge can reliably stop an attacker's hostile actions immediately or, in the case of hunting, harvest the targeted game quickly and humanely. I am certainly not suggesting that the .223 peters out completely at 200 yards and is no longer lethal. It has a maximum range of over two miles and can certainly kill well beyond its effective range. An innocent motorist in NYC was killed by a stray .303 round after some moron on a sailboat in New York harbor, almost two miles away, decided to take some impromptu target practice with an Enfield on some floating trash.

The military counts effective range by hit probability. As snackbar said, if you put a .224 hole through a guy at 600 yards, he’s likely out of the fight. Close in battles, he would probably keep fighting because there is an immediate threat. At 600 yards, he’s going to be like “na, I don’t think I’ll assault that objective after all.” But no, it’s not immediately stopping him. Still effective though.

A year ago I thought 200 would be my max yardage hunting. Last year it was. This year I shot an elk at 277 yards, sitting with rifle rested on my pack. I was 99% confident. I shot a deer this year at 200. I consider 200 yards today a gimme.

However, and take my comments with a grain of salt because I do not have the same experience and training as some of the others on this site......

The conditions you shoot in need to be factored in. 20mph crosswind and I'm going to think long and hard about even that 200 yard chip shot. Nothing stable to set my rifle on and that distance got a lot shorter. Perfect situation, I'd shoot out to 325 today all day long.

TANGENT

Since you're way out west now, you might want to check out some of Fred Eichler or Les Johnson's content, making 400-yard hits on running coyotes. Fred has made a good point with regard to hits on moving targets at longer distances - there's much less swinging of the barrel for longer distances, vs. placing hits on fast moving targets closer in.

Last edited:
My vote:

Short: 300 yards and under

Mid: 300-700 yards

Long: 700 + yards

I didn’t know that the NRA used this breakdown but this is based on my experience. With ia standard hunting rifle and scope I had no problem getting out to 300 without use of ballistic tables or wind holds. When this was as far as I shot, I had enough ”dope”(experience) to know with 200 yard zero rifle was a bit high at 100, and 4-5 inches low at 300

it wasn’t till I started shooting past 300 yards that I needed to chrono loads out of my gun and use ballistic tables with drop and wind drift. At that point I was definitely past short range so past 300 I was into mid range

So at what point does mid-range cross over into long range? For the longest time I considered 600 yards to be the cross over point, but that was arbitrary as I had shot paper targets to 600 yards with the AR, but beyond that it was shooting steel with bolt guns. ( not that you can’t shoot gas gun past 600 or shoot paper past 600 - just the my experience and bias). But the more long range I shot I found for me that past 700 yds things were different. My standard loads I used in .243 went subsonic. My personal hit probability went down, particularly with my .308 past 700 yards, more than the extra distance should dictate. Drop and drift. When I went to 6.5CM I had way more success past 700 than with other rifles (we are talking first shot cold bore, no sighter shots, and varying target distances). so for me out to 700 yards I can do a lot with a variety of rifles and calibers, but past 700 they start sorting themselves out. So for me that’s the break point

Last edited:
Gonna go with purely dependent/subjective depending on whether you're talking ballistics, practical shooting, target shooting, hunting, etc.

Military had me at 500 with iron sights. With a scope (just due to my eyesight), I'd consider "long range" to be beyond that.

But I don't see a situation where I'd find myself laying prone, shooting at a person standing still, at 500+ yards, with 5.56. Maybe some do, but that's not a scenario that I see for me. So, situation matters. In my opinion, anyway. Which matters zero, lol.

"Practical" mid range for me is 100-200ish? With long being beyond that. At the range, 300-500ish.

If all you're trying to do is ring steel....mid range could be 1000+ for some folks. There's not going to be a concrete "you're right and he's wrong" or vice versa to come out of this.

Last edited:
MR Targets for "Mid Range" Distances, LR for Long Range

(Don't worry, the bulllseyes get bigger, so you see pretty much the same sight picture)

Ummm... pretty clear he was talking about @AllaSnackbah. But go ahead and get all testy.

What i said wasn't even racist, people just dont get context over text, which i get. When you're being intentionally square you're ability to get the context is lessened even more.

The military counts effective range by hit probability. As snackbar said, if you put a .224 hole through a guy at 600 yards, he’s likely out of the fight. Close in battles, he would probably keep fighting because there is an immediate threat. At 600 yards, he’s going to be like “na, I don’t think I’ll assault that objective after all.” But no, it’s not immediately stopping him. Still effective though.

Nailed it, psycholigical stop. Typically once guys start leaking all that im up he sees me im down/jihad stuff turns into "lets go get all up in that ladyboy bussy" or "i need to find a dr" instead.

If you’re running a sub MOA or even a 1 MOA setup, 5.56 is a very capable cartridge even out past 800.

I think you’re being a slightly optimistic to call it very capable past 800. Even with the 77 grain bullets. It’s still getting pushed all over the place by the slightest wind at that distance and has very little energy if you are capable of dealing with that.

For the more popular variations of the cartridge, I’d say it’s doable for average to decent shooters out to 500 or so with good optics in what I would call normal conditions. 5-10 mph variable winds.

Back
Top Bottom