Family Blames Gun Show For Boy's Death

Only now, at the end, do you understand, my young apprentice.

Do you really think that there are many in the MA government who think that this would be a bad thing?

Thanks for calling me young! [banana]

Oh, I have had this same thought about the law on possession for some time. [frown]

if it were illegal for someone to hold/use a MG even with a MG permit holder supervising, then how could there ever be another such event as a MG shoot?

Only now, at the end, do you understand, my young apprentice.

Do you really think that there are many in the MA government who think that this would be a bad thing?

It is the position of the state that this is already the case, as letting someone hold the MG in the presence of the license holder is, in fact, a "furnishing" the gun. The fact that there is a specific exemption allowing this sort of temporary handling/supervised firing of handguns by non-LTC holders, but no similar law for MGs, gives credibility to this argument.

This comment caused me to knit my brow. [wink]

and this comment had me in stitches.
In this thread, which otherwise makes me feel a bit ill, that's something.

The blame for this horrific event lies with the father. the line may not have been safe, the "RO' may also have been negligent, but the blame lies with the father.

It is the position of the state that this is already the case, as letting someone hold the MG in the presence of the license holder is, in fact, a "furnishing" the gun. The fact that there is a specific exemption allowing this sort of temporary handling/supervised firing of handguns by non-LTC holders, but no similar law for MGs, gives credibility to this argument.

Am I right in thinking that this is kind of backwards? What I mean is, things should be legal unless they are explicitly outlawed, not illegal unless the state says it's ok.

Am I right in thinking that this is kind of backwards? What I mean is, things should be legal unless they are explicitly outlawed, not illegal unless the state says it's ok.

True, but in this state that is no surprise.

Not happening, Jury is going to get to see the video....

http://www.necn.com/12/07/10/Jury-w...ng_newengland.html?blockID=368161&feedID=7512

NECN: Springfield, Mass.) - A judge has ruled that prospective jurors will see a controversial video showing a Connecticut boy accidentally shooting himself with an Uzi at a 2008 Westfield, Massachusetts gun show.

But, but . . . that would NOT be the MA way we do things!! [rolleyes] [thinking]

The current thinking on Bacon Hill/Ashburton Place is "if we don't specifically allow something in MGLs, then is MUST BE ILLEGAL"!!! [sad2]

There is a law that makes it illegal to "furnish" a machine gun to an unlicensed person. The current state position is a bit of a stretch as the same logic would apply to an Oxycontin patient who allowed their spouse to pick up the bottle to read the label - temporary possession, thus the drug was "furnished" to someone not holding an Rx. Common sense would dictate that neither is "furnishing", but this is a situation where a particular outcome was desired and the law interpreted to provide that outcome.

The logic is not without precedent, as the feds have take the position that allowing someone to shoot an unregistered machine gun is "transferring it to an unlicensed person" however, they have curiously not applied the same logic to the many machine gun rental ranges you encounter out west.

Death of young son.

There are sometimes accidents that have very sad and tragic results. A person / child dies. Are there responsible parties envolved in the death of this young boy, sure. I have thought about this incident many times and can imagine how fast it went wrong, and how it may have occured that the boy was put in such harms way. Thinking about this accident and thinking how the fathers, and brothers, mothers and sisters witnessed this horror. The one who took him to the event and the one who had the duty to monitor the firearm must be living in a Hell on Earth remembering this accident everyday. It may never leave the witnesses minds, much less those who were directly responsible. I hope and pray no one I know and love has to live with such a memory.
Living with this as a accident would be enough punishment for anyone with a heart.
T

Back
Top Bottom