EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

One of my first questions now is whether any companies will do C&R firearms sales to MA? I was hoping this would get around MA's stupid AG shutting down of Internet sales, but now that I'm starting to look around all I see is companies saying they don't do C&R sales to MA. I guess I can still get discounts on non-firearms. Is this normal? Are they not selling just to be jerks, or because they really can't?

Example of the restriction:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/firearm_requirements.html

NOTE: I am not attempting to get people to post sensitive info about who still sells to MA... just wondering what the deal is with C&R sales to MA.

Are they not selling just to be jerks, or because they really can't?

They're not jerks, they just don't see it as worth the hassle. FFLs have an obligation by federal law to obey all state laws with regards to firearms sales. If they screw up, they lose their FFL. Since MA laws are so confusing, and our AG has a history of threatening businesses, a lot of places just throw their hands up and say, forget it.

One of my first questions now is whether any companies will do C&R firearms sales to MA? I was hoping this would get around MA's stupid AG shutting down of Internet sales, but now that I'm starting to look around all I see is companies saying they don't do C&R sales to MA. I guess I can still get discounts on non-firearms. Is this normal? Are they not selling just to be jerks, or because they really can't?
They're not selling because Martha Coakley and her jack-booted office staff are jerks.

That said, there ARE dealers out there that aren't afraid of our Assmuppet General. Just gotta keep looking.

Applied March 4th, Card charged few days later

JUST got it.

Strange... I got mine in a couple of weeks. Hey, I'm as shocked as you are! Its as if they put all the forms in a big basket and randomly pull them out one by one to process them, resulting in pure randomness as to how long each one takes.

Mailed renewal in 5/14, they hit my card a week or so later. No word since then.

Oh well. I guess I should have checked the "request LOA" block.

Jeez, guys, you said a packet of information, not 700+ pages...

Mmm.... 700+ pages of yummy legal goodness!
handsup.gif

My renewal went in last week; I was pleasantly surprised to note that I got a renewal form in the mail some three months before my current one expired.

Really stupid question here: I'm filling out the app for a C&R. The portion that says "total application fees", I'm assuming that is the $30.00? I thought it was the license fee, not application fee. Just want to make sure everything is filled out correctly as to not waste time.

Also, what is the "position" in section 9, and the "title" on section 15? If applying for just your person are you considered an owner of a business?

Last edited:
Really stupid question here: I'm filling out the app for a C&R. The portion that says "total application fees", I'm assuming that is the $30.00?

Yes, license fee / application fee, same thing, different words. $30.

TomH said:
Also, what is the "position" in section 9, and the "title" on section 15? If applying for just your person are you considered an owner of a business?

For individuals, the BATFE says to fill the position field out as "owner". Probably doesn't matter much what you put down though, as long as it's not 'insane terrorist' [wink].

Does a 3-ring binder constitute a "bound book"? Can I go and make up a quick firearms acquisition/ disposition sheet on excel for example, and throw it in a three-ring binder?

Does a 3-ring binder constitute a "bound book"? Can I go and make up a quick firearms acquisition/ disposition sheet on excel for example, and throw it in a three-ring binder?

Yes, and yes. I'm doing exactly that for my records. The only catch is you have to make sure the format of your sheet is correct. You can't just make up your own format. If you want to use the sheet I made up that matches the format as specified in the federal regulations, see this post:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=367343&postcount=561

If you want something pretty and costs a few bucks, I got this from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1694&title=FIREARMS RECORD BOOKS

(Part # 108-006-000 in case the link doesn't work)

It is only $3 but then there's shipping, so order it when you need stuff from them anyway. And they give discounts for C&R too.

The only plus side to letting my C&R expire is that I get to "toss" my old book and start a new one. Does anyone have template for MS Access or Excel that's set up for a C&R?

If you want something pretty and costs a few bucks, I got this from Brownells

While that book is probably 'close enough for government work', as they say, it is not actually in the correct format. It is in the dealer format, as specified in the regulations (§ 178.125(e)) not in the collector format (§ 178.125(f)).

Last edited:
Yes, and yes. I'm doing exactly that for my records. The only catch is you have to make sure the format of your sheet is correct. You can't just make up your own format. If you want to use the sheet I made up that matches the format as specified in the federal regulations, see this post:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=367343&postcount=561

I took the format from pg. 68 of the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005, which came with my license. Table 5: Firearms Collectors Acquisition and Disposition Record. Basically the same exact thing you have on the pdf. Thanks man!

The only plus side to letting my C&R expire is that I get to "toss" my old book and start a new one. Does anyone have template for MS Access or Excel that's set up for a C&R?

Are you absolutely certain on that? You might want to just lose it in the attic if you ever find you MUST produce it. (I'm asking - not telling - I don't know the answer)

Are you absolutely certain on that? You might want to just lose it in the attic if you ever find you MUST produce it. (I'm asking - not telling - I don't know the answer)

There is no requirement to turn in any records to the ATF after your C&R license has expired. Once your license is expired, you're free to destroy your bound book. Being the record keeper type that I am, I would keep it safely tucked away somewhere; but that's just personal choice. Either way, however, you would definitely want to start a new bound book when you receive your new license, and not use the old one.

There is no requirement to turn in any records to the ATF after your C&R license has expired. Once your license is expired, you're free to destroy your bound book. Being the record keeper type that I am, I would keep it safely tucked away somewhere; but that's just personal choice. Either way, however, you would definitely want to start a new bound book when you receive your new license, and not use the old one.

That part WAS clear to me. I thought it might be possible we had to keep the old book more or less forever, though.

Back
Top Bottom