• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Licensees must keep their books for twenty years. One the license expired, I was no longer a licensee. That's why I had to reapply for a new license. The ATF does not renew expired licenses.

Licensees must keep their books for twenty years. One the license expired, I was no longer a licensee. That's why I had to reapply for a new license. The ATF does not renew expired licenses.

Jonj, what my paperwork says agrees with jdubois:

There is no requirement to turn in any records to the ATF after your C&R license has expired. Once your license is expired, you're free to destroy your bound book.

Jonj, what my paperwork says agrees with jdubois:

Yup. That's why I said licensees must keep the book. No license, not a licensee.

Yup. That's why I said licensees must keep the book. No license, not a licensee.

Yeah, I think we're all in agreement. By the way, Jon, where are you getting the 20 year record keeping limit? I was looking for that last night and couldn't find it. I'm sure it's just hiding from me somewhere.

While that book is probably 'close enough for government work', as they say, it is not actually in the correct format. It is in the dealer format, as specified in the regulations (§ 178.125(e)) not in the collector format (§ 178.125(f)).

Great, now I find out. But, it talks about C&R at the front of that book and at first glance it seemed to have the same info.

OK, I just compared field by field... it is essentially the same except the Brownells book has two unneeded columns at the end of the Disposition section, "NICS #" and "Repair Invoice Number". Also, the "Name" field just says "Name" instead of "Name and Address" (I'd put the address anyway).

Last edited:
Great, now I find out. But, it talks about C&R at the front of that book and at first glance it seemed to have the same info.

OK, I just compared field by field... it is essentially the same except the Brownells book has two unneeded columns at the end of the Disposition section, "NICS #" and "Repair Invoice Number". Also, the "Name" field just says "Name" instead of "Name and Address" (I'd put the address anyway).

Yeah, it's close enough. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just completed my application form for a C&R license and intend on puting it in the mail tomorrow, and delivering the CLEO copy on my way to the post office.

Just mailed my app in today. I reapplied because I didn't renew in May when it expired.

Mailed application on the 6th of August and received the license today. 15 days, not too bad.
And don't it figure our scanner crapped out[angry]

It'd be great if everything in here could be summarized for use. Maybe like the Mass-centric NFA thread. I thought about going through the whole thing before myself but meh....

My C&R came in yesterday! Just waiting for the package now. So do I now have to record any purchase that could count as a "C&R" purchase, even if it comes from a dealer?

My C&R came in yesterday! Just waiting for the package now. So do I now have to record any purchase that could count as a "C&R" purchase, even if it comes from a dealer?

WTF? I sent mine in 3 weeks before you and mine hasn't come yet! [angry] Time to call and bug them again.

Congrats, save a few SKS's for me [wink]

Back
Top Bottom