EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

I spoke to Yolanda today and she said that my application was still pending because some information was missing. I asked her if she could look up my application and tell me what was missing and she said my SS# was all that was missing.

I thought if I remember correctly that on the application it said my SS# was "optional" and so I did not put it on.

Yolanda told me that my application could not be processed without it and that I needed to send it to her in writing via fax or mail. I faxed my info today directly to Yolanda so now the waiting continues.

If anyone gets a letter from the BATFE telling you they need more info you can fax the info to Yolanda at 404-417-2751. Make sure to include all your info ie name, address etc.

makes me wonder if I wrote my ssn#. My impatient ass called her last week and they still havent done my backround check. She says they're running behind so expect it by the end of June, early July

Split Hairs

OK, this is splitting hairs, but . . .

1a) As every transfer of a C&R qualified item requires a log entry in the bound book, in addition to any and all applicable state law requirments, is it *ok* to log *all* firearm / ammo / etc. transfers in the bound book (along with state documentation), even transfers that would not fall under the scope of the C&R?

1b) If you used your C&R discount to purchase say, ammo, for a non C&R firearm, does the fact that you 'leveraged' the C&R in the transfer then require you to log the transfer in the bound book?

1c) Expendables like C&R ammo would need to be logged in, but when consumed, nothing? Or should you log it out when used? (I told you I was going to split hairs).

2a) If you purchase a 49 year old firearm using your LTC, file the FA-10 and the firearm subsequently becomes 50 years old, would you have to then log the firearm in the bound book, or just have a copy of the FA-10 on hand?

2b) Would 2a be a good argument to log every transfer even if it did not require a bound book entry?

2c) Re 2a, if you lived in a state that did not require registration, I mean notification [thinking], how would you prove you acquired the firearm before it became C&R qualified?

2d) If you reload C&R ammo, does it have to be logged again?

(status: app form requested)

If I'm deemed fit, as a practical matter, since I tend to forget things, I will likely log all purchases / sales even not C&R. Do everything the same way every time and you make fewer mistakes.

1a) As every transfer of a C&R qualified item requires a log entry in the bound book, in addition to any and all applicable state law requirments, is it *ok* to log *all* firearm / ammo / etc. transfers in the bound book (along with state documentation), even transfers that would not fall under the scope of the C&R?

No, I'd think you'd be found out of compliance if the BATFE showed up and you had firearms logged into your book that were not part of your 'collection'. If you really feel you must log all your firearms in that horrible bound book format, maintain two different bound books; one to make the BATFE happy, and one to make you happy.

namedpipes said:
1b) If you used your C&R discount to purchase say, ammo, for a non C&R firearm, does the fact that you 'leveraged' the C&R in the transfer then require you to log the transfer in the bound book?

Your bound book is only for firearms. It is not for ammunition or accessories.

namedpipes said:
1c) Expendables like C&R ammo would need to be logged in, but when consumed, nothing? Or should you log it out when used? (I told you I was going to split hairs).

See above answer.

namedpipes said:
2a) If you purchase a 49 year old firearm using your LTC, file the FA-10 and the firearm subsequently becomes 50 years old, would you have to then log the firearm in the bound book, or just have a copy of the FA-10 on hand?

Your bound book is only for firearms obtained using your C&R license. If you did not use your license to obtain the firearm, it is not part of your 'collection' and is not to be logged as such.

namedpipes said:
2b) Would 2a be a good argument to log every transfer even if it did not require a bound book entry?

No.

namedpipes said:
2c) Re 2a, if you lived in a state that did not require registration, I mean notification [thinking], how would you prove you acquired the firearm before it became C&R qualified?

You can own C&R eligible firearms which you did not obtain with your C&R license and so are not part of your collection. Though this can lead to confusion, so I'd recommend against obtaining anything C&R without using your license. In the case you state above, if you liked you could certainly transfer that C&R firearm into your collection upon it's becoming C&R eligible by recording it in your bound book. But you wouldn't have to. As to how you would prove it wasn't part of your collection if you're asked? You save all your purchase records, right? All you'd have to show is the receipt from the dealer (which could be used to find the 4473) or the FA-10 from a private sale, and you've shown you didn't need to use your C&R to acquire it.

namedpipes said:
2d) If you reload C&R ammo, does it have to be logged again?

See answer to 1b.

namedpipes said:
If I'm deemed fit, as a practical matter, since I tend to forget things, I will likely log all purchases / sales even not C&R. Do everything the same way every time and you make fewer mistakes.

I'd recommend against logging non-collection firearms into your bound book.

Last edited:
[dance] I called Yolanda again today to check on my application. She pulled my file and told me she had everything she needed and was going to process my C&R today and that I should get it in 5 to 6 days!![dance]

Does registering via FA-10 affect the amount of FTF transfers one can do?

Why would you read anything about FA-10's in C&R information? An FA-10 is a state form, and has nothing to do with a federal C&R FFL. But a C&R FFL does not allow you to break MA state laws, and MGL C.140 S.128B says you must file an FA-10 for all firearms, rifles, and shotguns obtained, unless you purchase from a MA dealer or MA seller obligated to file an FA-10 under 128A & 129C. So, C&R or not, if the seller doesn't file an FA-10, you do. (Though there's some disagreement as to whether you need to file an FA-10 in the event that a seller who is obligated to file one doesn't do so.)

Does registering via FA-10 affect the amount of FTF transfers one can do?

Nope. You are required to file an FA-10 any time you transfer a gun to a non-dealer within the state of MA, or personally transfer a gun into MA from out of state. You are also only allowed to transfer up to four guns per year to a non-dealer within MA. Those two things are unrelated to each other, and unrelated to your C&R license.

Last edited:
Well, maybe some of us slackers will get all inspired by the Quackenbrush and get a C&R! I intend to but will wait until after my current transfer woes are complete in order to reduce complication and extra paperwork.

Did you call Yolanda ? She was great when I called her and she processed my app a few days after I talked to her.

So I called today. She could not find me in the system! I told her that I must be in the system because they took my money. She then asked me to fax her a copy of my CC statment as proof. So I told her I would. While I was tracking down my statement, she called me back and told me that she found me in the system. She said that my C&R was issued yesterday and I should expect it in the mail soon! [grin]

NICE! Over a hundred days for me though. I put my app in the mail I think on 25FEB08.

/John

Still nothing in the mail! I just called Yolanda and she says that it went out on the 9th. She said she would re-issue today. Strange.... isn't there 2 things that come in the mail, the license and the books separately? I got neither.[crying]

Just got my C&R in the mail.... (someone mentioned this already, but my wife thought I was in trouble with the government and I got the call at work....)

Can someone please advise what are the dealers that need to get a copy?

Mailed out application 5.24.2008 and license came today... [smile]

Can someone please advise what are the dealers that need to get a copy?

Well, you can start with sending a copy to MidwayUSA and Brownells for their C&R discount pricing. As to actual dealers of C&R guns, you're somewhat on your own. Some dealers have been intimidated into not shipping to C&R holders here in MA, so nobody wants to draw attention to any one that still might. Google might turn up some good results for you.

Thanks for the start... I will start looking - the 2 rifles that I would like to start with is a garand and an enfield - not that I will be buying right away but you never know [grin]

Thanks for the start... I will start looking - the 2 rifles that I would like to start with is a garand and an enfield - not that I will be buying right away but you never know [grin]

The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a great place to get a Garand from. You have to be patient, though. Enfields are all over the place, you shouldn't have a problem finding one of those.

Just got my C&R today

I just mailed it out 2-3 weeks ago and the C&R license arrived already. I'm shocked actually, since others were saying how long it was taking. This is unexpected... now I need to figure out what to do...

It's FINALY here.

So it arrived today, I sent the app out 126 days ago! [shocked] The funny thing is that I also got my $1200.00 stimulus check today from the Gov.[grin] I wonder what I can do with a C&R and $1200.00? Looks like my first C&R will be funded by the US Treasury Dept.[smile]

/John

P.S. There were no issues with my app, it just took a long time. Not sure why....

Back
Top Bottom