EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge. I ordered up my application today.

I've been hedging for quite a while, not wanting to expose myself to the govt anymore than I already am.

But last week when I got my new Mauser (without any C&R) I watched a guy buy a C&R handgun and saw how that was handled. That made up my mind.

I"m guessing that with as many C&R qualified pieces as I already have, I should have done it long ago.

Now I'll see how long the process takes since clicking enter on the ATF forms request page a minute ago.

I use a post office box most of the time. Do they care about using a PO box vs home address?

Is this the proper book to use, from Brownells?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1694&title=FIREARMS+RECORD+BOOKS

Last edited:
Good luck Pilgrim. The paperwork for mine came pretty quickly. (Maybe just over a week?) After mailing in the forms my license came in just under 3 weeks.

Someone can correct me on this but I don't think that is the book you need. I believe its for background checks for dealers. You will need to keep a log of what you buy and sell. The license package comes with a basic form for this, or there is a downloadable form at surplusrifle.com. http://www.surplusrifle.com/graphics/boundbookpage.pdf

I just received my renewal today, I'm good to go through 2010 now. I wonder what goodies will make the eligibility list by then.[smile] I just hope folks are still shipping to us in 2010.[hmmm]
FWIW, I took a standard acquisition form and had my wife use a computer program to make a new one and alter the spaces in the colums allowing for more info for the seller's FFL number, address, etc. Most forms are pretty small and don't allow for much space, hence leaving a cluttered look and something thats hard to follow. From what I hear if you're ever audited, having an easy to read set up is a big plus. I know plenty of people who have passed audits with logs printed out from their PCs and kept in binders, and ones in commercialy made bound books.

Wahoo, my C&R packet arrived Saturday! After I explained to the wife what it was and why, she said, "what, 4 rifles since the election wasn't enough?!"

Thank the stars she likes to shoot 'em all!

Merry Christmas Eve!
Chuck

Confussion

Hi,

I was all excited when I fished my packet out of my mail box on Sunday (Saturday was bbbbuzy) and posted the above msg. Thought I had my C&R FFL, but now that I've looked carefully, I realize this packet contains just forms and books. Shouldn't there be something with my name and a FLL #? Is it usual to have the info packet separate from the actual license?

thanks,
Chuck

Yes, they are shipped from different BATFE locations. The actual FFL comes in an envelope with nothing else.

Thanks Lens. Do happen to recall if the envelope looked official enough that I might open it, and not toss it out with the junk?!

fretting,
Chuck

Yup, it's a window envelope in some color (I think light blue) with very official return address on it. It's also a non-standard size envelope (1/2 sheet of paper, so it's ~8.5" x 5.5" or so).

Same thing happened to me Chuck. Got the book n' stuff first and then the license came in after. IIRC, it took another week to 10 days to get it. Hang tight, it'll be here soon. [smile]

In the C&R Club

Wahoo! Sister-in-law watching the house while we're away said a large blue envelope is sitting on my counter!

Hey, how about a group buy on Ramen noodles?! [rofl2]

cheers,
Chuck

My blue envelope came today after about 3 weeks, no books yet.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have a C&R so someone must have a real 'bound book'. The last comments about it were that people printed out pages to use. I know there used to be a real book that could be purchased.

What are you guys all using? Surely there has to be a better solution than just printing out pages from the web!

Congrats on the C&R !

What are you guys all using? Surely there has to be a better solution than just printing out pages from the web!

I've printed out a couple pages of the blank Acquisition & Disposition records and have them in clear inserts inside a 3-ring binder. That's all that's really required. I also have a copy of my current C&R in the binder. Then for each firearm I have the sales receipt or shipping invoice, muzzle tag, manual if one was included and the owners copy of the FA-10. Kinda overkill but there's no mistaking I have all my ducks in a row. (Insert ducks in a row smilie here.)

I do pretty much the same for the non-C&R stuff too, when I sell something the transfer copy of the FA-10 goes in the same insert with the registration copy so there's no question of what was sold to whom and when.

What are you guys all using? Surely there has to be a better solution than just printing out pages from the web![/QUOTE]

Try cruffler.com. They have a bound book that they sell. I can't remember if that's the one I have or not-I got mine a while ago.

There are a lot of people on this forum that have a C&R so someone must have a real 'bound book'. The last comments about it were that people printed out pages to use. I know there used to be a real book that could be purchased.

When I want a firearms record book, I go to Brownells. Their book can't be beat, and it's just $3.00!

Here's a link: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1694&title=FIREARMS+RECORD+BOOKS

According to BATFE, a BB is a BB. FFL or C&R FFL matters not, same info in same places. Brownells is where to get the BB unless you want to print out sheets to use.

BTW, this will probably get answered when the rest of the docs come in the mail but:

Are you supposed to send the CLEO a copy of the license? I thought it was just a copy of the application that went to him.

I read where others say the license must go to him too.

BTW, this will probably get answered when the rest of the docs come in the mail but:

Are you supposed to send the CLEO a copy of the license? I thought it was just a copy of the application that went to him.

The cleo only need a copy of the application. Once the license comes you should be good to go. Have fun!

This is the book I have. It's excellent. www.rkffl.com Ok, so the site is under construction. It is well worth the phone call though.

Last edited:
Interesting. Brownells want $9.25 shipping for a $3 book and Franklins site is messed up so it won;t take credit cards.

I guess I'll print one out for now.

If you are a regular Brownell's customer, if you call them they might charge a more reasonable rate for postage, or, I suppose, you could beef up your order and get more bang for your buck!

Is there a time frame to send the CLEO the ap copy? I wanted the BATFE boys to get the form first and start the process (they've debited my account for the fee already), but didn't want to give my CLEO any headstart in causing a problem. Make sense?

If I recall correctly, when you sign your application, you are certifying you have mailed your CLEO a copy.

So, technically, you are supposed to send the copy to your CLEO before you file your application with the ATFE boys and girls.

If you send the CLEO his copy late, I don't know that it'll matter too much.

Is there a time frame to send the CLEO the ap copy? I wanted the BATFE boys to get the form first and start the process (they've debited my account for the fee already), but didn't want to give my CLEO any headstart in causing a problem. Make sense?

The CLEO really has nothing to do with it. I don't think you have anything to worry about..

Correct, when you sign the form, you are attesting (under pains and penalties of perjury) that you HAVE sent a copy to your CLEO (already).

Chiefs regularly "round file" these forms. Mine wasn't even aware that I had sent it to him (I left it with the dispatcher and it was put in his personal mailbox in the PD).

BATFE does NOT consult with your chief before issuing the C&R FFL.

Back
Top Bottom