• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever think about thinning the herd?

This conversation started when I said I wanted to know if anyone would sell me a P7 M8 or P7 M13 (see post #44 in the thread). You then posted “you had a P7 M8 you were planning to sell this year”, (your post #49) to which I said “let’s go”. Then you posted pictures of a PSP, (post #58) not a P7M8. Yeah, why would I expect a fair price? Good question. I guess because I assume most folks on here are fair, reasonable people and not everyone on here are whores. F me, right?
F, you exactly. It would have taken 2 seconds to find out where I am. I want as much money as I can get out of it.

Take a look at the classifieds. Lots of post of nice firearms at rape prices. Some to the point of being ridiculous
The NES way! Wait a month, sometimes longer, and the price magically comes back down to Earth. The price lowering is also contingent on how fast the seller wants to move it.
I love the $1200 Glock 17's
And $100 - $200 prebans to go with it, more for G19. Those that buy them have to be related to P.T. Barnum.

I guess I'm the oddball here - New Year, Same Me.

I used to be like everyone here and would never think about selling anything. Then I moved, and realized just how many I had - most I never shot and some I forgot I had. I started selling and trading just to get rid of the deadwood. Now, I still have too many, but it isn't too bad. In the last year I realized that my hunting will never improve and I may as well give up and dump the hunting guns for something worthwhile.

I have no emotional attachment to any of them besides what my kids have called dibs on. Then again, I'm not emotionally attached to much and tossed out all my photos and military gear on the last move. My goal is to fit my life in a duffel bag, maybe two - but I don't see that happening.

It's a wonderful goal... becoming totally free from your lifetime of accumulated and unnecessary "stuff.'" I secretly envy those people who can really pull it off. 🤔
Never understood that mentality myself. I wasn’t out working on the car yesterday thinking, ‘gee I sure wish I had fewer tools’.

To be on topic; I buy and sell stuff all the time. Some stuff I'll never sell, because it means something to me. Other stuff, I bought it because I probably liked it at the time, but now no longer do. Off it goes.

I never understand the reasoning behind those who say never sell a gun. It's metal and steel; unless it's your grandfather's, who gives a shit?
I have currently three rifles and four pistols I would never sell and the rest aren’t untouchable.
The way I see it it’s not a matter of sentiment that I won’t sell them as much as politicians love to threaten confiscation.

Never understood that mentality myself. I wasn’t out working on the car yesterday thinking, ‘gee I sure wish I had fewer tools’.
It's one of those things you think about as you begin to approach the end of life. The good wife and I have accumulated tons of unnecessary and unneeded "stuff" from our deceased parent's homes as well as our own prior homes. I have so many tools sets that I could open a used tool store. But tools are not the main problem. It's everything... stuff that you wonder why the Hell it's even here... why on earth you are keeping it. A few good dumpster loads and maybe I'd feel differently. But for now, it's just crap that takes up space.

It's one of those things you think about as you begin to approach the end of life. The good wife and I have accumulated tons of unnecessary and unneeded "stuff" from our deceased parent's homes as well as our own prior homes. I have so many tools sets that I could open a used tool store. But tools are not the main problem. It's everything... stuff that you wonder why the Hell it's even here... why on earth you are keeping it. A few good dumpster loads and maybe I'd feel differently. But for now, it's just crap that takes up space.

Fair enough!

There is a letter in my safe that starts " If you are reading this, I'm probably dead". It then goes to list the guns, approximate value, and keepers for the kids. Both my kids have looked through the safe and claimed a few. My wife knows how to get in because that is where we store spare cash. I also list a few places to sell them if need be.

There have been 2-3 time that a family member shows up at my club after the death of a member saying "what the heck do I do with these and what are they worth?" Don't be that person, have a plan or your prized collection may be sold for fifty cents on the dollar.

Yup. We've lived in the same home for 30+ years. The basement and attic are full of stuff. I've started to get rid of stuff in anticipation of a move hopefully this year.

When I was in the hospital last year googling "acute necrotizing pancreatitis mortality" I started to think about all the stuff that I had left undone that my wife would have to deal with if I didn't make it (yes, I catastrophize things). One of those things was so many guns that I never use. So I've been putting guns on consignment.

You've never been going through a tool bag (even the most OCD orderly people should be able to relate to throwing a handful of tools in a bag to work away from your garage) and pulled out 4 flathead screwdrivers in a row when you're looking for a Philips? That's the type of excess that I want to get rid of. All four of those screwdrivers are good - but do you need them all?

I'm sick of being tied down by stuff. Lugging all the Christmas ornaments really drives that home. Good stuff - but for what? Do I really need it?

You've never been going through a tool bag (even the most OCD orderly people should be able to relate to throwing a handful of tools in a bag to work away from your garage) and pulled out 4 flathead screwdrivers in a row when you're looking for a Philips? That's the type of excess that I want to get rid of. All four of those screwdrivers are good - but do you need them all?

I'm sick of being tied down by stuff. Lugging all the Christmas ornaments really drives that home. Good stuff - but for what? Do I really need it?
If you want a happy spouse, probably.

I'm in teh middle of a multi-year process to thin my herd SIGNIFICANTLY! I still have many to go. I look at my collection. There are a few "oh that's cool." A couple, "that's needed for defense or whatever." And then a pile of "WTF was I thinking?" LOL.

I'd relieve myself of all of my Russkie items, but I've got too many rounds of x39. Stupid reason considering I probably paid $150 for all of it back in the day. And I haven't shot it since.

My Dad was a wicked hoarder. In our 3k+ sq ft house, with an attached 4 car barn-style garage with a second floor, two separate attic spaces, and a huge basement, the entire house was stuffed with junk, old cars in the driveway, miscellaneous car parts, complete motors, transmissions, boat engines, tools, and decades of clothes, furniture, etc. You couldn’t walk from one end of the garage, or basement, or attic, to the other without spending a half hour first making a path to get there. We hired three cleaning crews (the first two quit when my Dad went diving into the dumpster to grab things they were tossing out) and it took months to clean the house out. Any of you old dogs, do your kids a favor and don’t leave them with that nonsense when you pass.

My Dad was a wicked hoarder. In our 3k+ sq ft house, with an attached 4 car barn-style garage with a second floor, two separate attic spaces, and a huge basement, the entire house was stuffed with junk, old cars in the driveway, miscellaneous car parts, complete motors, transmissions, boat engines, tools, and decades of clothes, furniture, etc. You couldn’t walk from one end of the garage, or basement, or attic, to the other without spending a half hour first making a path to get there. We hired three cleaning crews (the first two quit when my Dad went diving into the dumpster to grab things they were tossing out) and it took months to clean the house out. Any of you old dogs, do your kids a favor and don’t leave them with that nonsense when you pass.
No one wants your stuff. I cleaned out my dads place too.

We don't buy a lot of stuff. We're not compulsive shoppers - there's usually an identified need for what we're shopping for.

Weekly I make a trip to the dump with at least 4 bags of garbage. That's just regular trash.

Monthly I have to make an additional trip because we do some type of cleaning and accumulate another load of garbage from I don't know where.

Then we do a deep clean on an area, like a shed or a storage room or whatever. Forget it - we could fill dumpsters.

It accumulates FAST. I don't know where all my garbage comes from, but I stay on top of it and we're still up to our eyeballs in junk. I've been planning a brutal cleanout this spring.

I have to hide my fishing rods first.

I'm in the same boat. Ive got scads of guns that I like for the mere joy of owning them, nothing else. Haven't shot them in 10 or more years. I liked chasing down a particular gun, searching for exactly what I wanted, acquiring, then immediately get bored of it. These include an inch pattern commonwealth FNFAL built on an Imbel receiver, an Baltimore built Armscorp M-14 on USGI parts, E German AK side folder, XM177E2, list goes on and on. I just enjoyed hunting them down and collecting them.

I had a JM stamped 1895c in 38/357 that was fun, but wasn't the best hunting rifle here in the midwest. It was great in the tight woods of New England though. Anyways, it was worth about double from what I paid for it after they had dried up so I traded it for $500 and a minty 12ga BPS, high gloss/blueing, great wood, engraved game scenes. I love that BPS and use it frequently, so that was a win for me.

I have three boys. Oldest likes guns but can't be bothered to take care of them, just kind of, oh cool, then it might get shot once a year. middle boy is the last person I'd give a firearm to, and my youngest is a carbon copy of me. First thing he did was buy the biggest safe he could afford, then started his collection, just started reloading. Hate to pick favorites but yea, he'd be an excellent steward of my stuff. Usually on birthdays and holidays, I just give him another one of my guns and he cherishes them.

Lately though, I've been thinking of selling some stuff and buying a really nice Ruger #1, I'd really enjoy shooting/hunting with that opposed to ripping through mags of a 4moa battle rifle. Or, buy another Garand, always enjoy those and shoot them regularly.

I dunno, its easy to say "never sell a gun" when you have 10-15 or whatever, but when you get up to 50+, you just don't shoot half of them, and I shoot every week without fail. That, and in a SHTF scenario, really, what all can you carry?

Thats my thoughts on it anyways.

I don't currently own anything that sentimental but at some point I will.

I plan on buying my son a .22 lever action rifle when he is a little older and probably a Ruger Wrangler .22 to go with it. I hope he never sells it and passes it on to one of his kids one day.

I own a POS .22 Sears Roebucks Rifle that I bought on my wedding day. Why? I worked there for 12 years and that is where I met my wife. It serves absolutely no purpose other than I thought it was cool and it was like $100 at the time. It literally does nothing but take up space in my safe.
I mean... sounds like you could put your wife somewhere other than the safe

I'm sure she'd be fine taking up space on the couch

I'm in teh middle of a multi-year process to thin my herd SIGNIFICANTLY! I still have many to go. I look at my collection. There are a few "oh that's cool." A couple, "that's needed for defense or whatever." And then a pile of "WTF was I thinking?" LOL.

I'd relieve myself of all of my Russkie items, but I've got too many rounds of x39. Stupid reason considering I probably paid $150 for all of it back in the day. And I haven't shot it since.
Ammo will sell for a lot more than you paid for it.

I need to raise funds for a couple home repair projects.

Thinking about selling my .308 AR. built with an 80% group buy lower No S/N or other markings. DPMS SASS 18" 1:10 twist heavy (but not 'bull') fluted barrel with Griffin flashcomp. Geissele SSA trigger. Magpul stock. Hogue grip. Troy rail. Nikon M-308 4-16x BDC800 scope w/ Nikon mount. Two 10-round mags. I'll include a Calwell bipod.

"Custom" Rustoleum FDE finish (kept the rail masked off black).

<1MOA gun all day every day

This gun was E-FA10'd when I lived in MA, if that matters (??).

1704312618491.jpeg

Suggestions on where I might price it? Would I have issues shipping this out of NC?

No thinning of my firearm collection for selfish reasons.
When/if we end up living in Mad Max times, I could sell my anti-gun neighbor a rifle for 4X what it is worth.
A written signed statement saying that the 2nd amendment is a life saver, and he will get one 10 round magazine.
Training on how to use it will be extra.

No thinning of my firearm collection for selfish reasons.
When/if we end up living in Mad Max times, I could sell my anti-gun neighbor a rifle for 4X what it is worth.
A written signed statement saying that the 2nd amendment is a life saver, and he will get one 10 round magazine.
Training on how to use it will be extra.

That's why I've kept my Mosin and about ten rounds: so that I can someday trade it for something useful as I bug out.

I sold 3 Holy grail AKs in the past 12 months. All out of state although they were all posted here on NES. I'm trying not to hold onto duplicates or triplicate of stuff anymore. At one time it made sense but i made a lot of unrational decisions and now am cashing put to fund other projects. Plus the looming gun laws happening in ma make me want to grab a few other things before its too late. One of those was a sig spear 11.5 LT that I got and sbr'd last month. There is a very short list of other things I may want before impossible to get anymore.

I also put up a practically brand new vp9sk on the classifieds last night to get rid of stuff collecting dust

Whether the question is “how many guns do you own” or “how many knives do you own”, I can honestly answer “I don’t know.” I haven’t counted either in a long time.

I can usually count up the guns fairly accurately, because I do it by location - safe, sentrybox, keypad box, knapsack, blah, blah, blah. But I was having this conversation with a friend the other day, ticking them off; and my wife piped up with "what happened to my Sig .380's?" - and I realized I'd forgotten entirely about the half dozen or so handguns on the inside of the safe door in the elastic, plus the boxed ones on the bottom shelf.

Knives? Yeah, no real idea. Just stood up and looked at the shelf over my printer in my office - and there are nine straight blades laying there. I've got at least five "good" pocket knives on my bureau in the bedroom, most of them were gifts from my wife. There are five or six in the safe, (maybe seven or eight), mostly spring activated or double-edged. I think there are four knives in the truck, there's a tray full in the rollaway in the garage, maybe three on the bench; there's one in my range bag, maybe two? One I just bought is sitting on the rack by my AR cases. There's another with a notebook and pen on the counter that separates the kitchen from the living room. Two in my EDC knapsack. One in my pocket right now. I think my wife has one of my folders in her office. I think that's all of them.

Nope, just turned around and looked at the shelves behind me, two more knives sitting there.

And I totally forgot about the ScubaPro one attached to my SPG.

Well, it’s January 7th and I’ve bought two new guns. I seem to be going in the wrong direction! The horror! 😆
Ive been tempted. But til I move I'm resisting any urge to buy anything else......just sold my last G5 Glock 17 to a friend for decent money. Banked that money for now.

I might rebalance the portfolio, but that means selling/trading one to buy one from here on out.

Last years saw many sales and a big safe cleanout, and buys of stuff i wanted and couldn't get or was retardedly priced during the scamdemic...like lever rifles I wanted from Ruger.

Now most everything is back and I'm in no rush to sell or buy.

Safe cleanout this year is unlikely......as prices are down on trades, and demand is not that high, and most of the stuff I have is either going to my son, or dads old stuff/ my older stuff which I'm not getting rid of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom