• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever think about thinning the herd?

mikelawtown

NES Member
Accumulated tons of parts, ammo and firearms over the years and it seems a lot gets unused and not having a lot of time to get out as I used to got me thinking of selling some off but obviously hate to since it’s not as easy to get AR”s or AK’s like it was and prices are not like they were.

Yes.

I know it is sacrilegious on NES to say so but every now and then I will pull my firearms out and say to myself do I really like/want this? If i don't say yes I sell it. Ammo and accessories on the other hand never get sold unless they are specific to the firearm I am purging.

I'm about 60 and am in the process of selling my house. My wife and I rented a small house until we figure where we want to live/work in huntsville. We are going from a 3600 sqft house to a 1400. We have 3 full 10x10 storage units so far. I also had to move 3 safes and alot of reloading stuff. Yes I'm definitely downsizing. I. Don't want my wife, or worse, my daughter to have to sell all this stuff if something happens to me. I think it will depend on your age. Some on here think being 40 is old. I can assure you it is not.

To be on topic; I buy and sell stuff all the time. Some stuff I'll never sell, because it means something to me. Other stuff, I bought it because I probably liked it at the time, but now no longer do. Off it goes.

I never understand the reasoning behind those who say never sell a gun. It's metal and steel; unless it's your grandfather's, who gives a shit?

I always think about it. Then know I'll totally regret getting rid of something cool. A shield or glock yeah whatever.
I have ended up regretting the sale of every "real" gun I've ever sold except for one (a Star PD... don't laugh).

That does not count plastic guns which come and go. No real attachment to any of them.

I have been accumulating parts and such since the 80s. You could buy a box of random parts at some gun shows for $5 or $10. I have projects I started and am still looking for parts. I honestly don't know what to do with this stuff.

Accumulated tons of parts, ammo and firearms over the years and it seems a lot gets unused and not having a lot of time to get out as I used to got me thinking of selling some off but obviously hate to since it’s not as easy to get AR”s or AK’s like it was and prices are not like they were.
After being forced to do it like twice, because of economic BS, never again... I usually don't even sell my own guns anymore unless it involves a friend or family at this point. And then again I also rarely buy things I'm going to hate or not use so there's that.... it's not like the old days where I would make some impulse buy that turned out to be garbage.

I've thought about it but never went through with it for whatever reason. More than a few that I wanted at the time but once I had it, I lost interest. A few that I've never shot. Some that I've shot once or twice. A couple that I dont even have any ammo or components for. Wanted them at the time but once i had them, the thrill was gone and I moved on.

I used to harass my mother for buying useless garbage at Christmas Tree Shops and the like but at least that stuff is cheap.

To be on topic; I buy and sell stuff all the time. Some stuff I'll never sell, because it means something to me. Other stuff, I bought it because I probably liked it at the time, but now no longer do. Off it goes.

I never understand the reasoning behind those who say never sell a gun. It's metal and steel; unless it's your grandfather's, who gives a shit?
I don't currently own anything that sentimental but at some point I will.

I plan on buying my son a .22 lever action rifle when he is a little older and probably a Ruger Wrangler .22 to go with it. I hope he never sells it and passes it on to one of his kids one day.

I own a POS .22 Sears Roebucks Rifle that I bought on my wedding day. Why? I worked there for 12 years and that is where I met my wife. It serves absolutely no purpose other than I thought it was cool and it was like $100 at the time. It literally does nothing but take up space in my safe.

It's more than just heirlooms though... like as an example my first gun was a P7M8 and I sold it. and I will never be able to buy one again for the price that I sold it for years ago. That gun in the six mags that it went with are probably over $3,000 nowadays. Those are basically the sales that I regret the most I have a bunch of guns like that that are not obtainable for anywhere near what I sold them for. 🤣 oh well, live and learn. Im much more fiscally responsible now so it's not really a problem, but still sucks.

My first thought is this; that's the longest sentence I've read, in all of 2023.
Read it again on Monday and you will get a twofer.😆

I rarely sell them but I don’t have a lot by NES standards.

I am moving on a Preban to a family member as I just don’t shoot it enough to justify keeping it.

Probably need to thin the herd but that doesn't coincide with current mission profile.
That and I'm still buying the odd one here or there. A 70's vintage Marlin 60, a Makarov in .380, just because.
Edge of retirement so who knows. Grandson in law would take care of liquidation should anything happen. There's not THAT many.😉

Back
Top Bottom